What does NCL The Sun do to help with healthy eating?

cruiseagona

Will be traveling on The Sun for 10 days in January. Am wondering what they do to promote healthy eating? I haven't been on a cruise for about 15 years. Do they offer sugar free items? How about protein shakes? Egg-white omelettes? Good fresh fruit besides apples and oranges? Thanks in advance.

Will be traveling on The Sun for 10 days in January. Am wondering what they do to promote healthy eating? I haven't been on a cruise for about 15 years. Do they offer sugar free items? How about protein shakes? Egg-white omelettes? Good fresh fruit besides apples and oranges? Thanks in advance.

I think they do allow for healthy eating (it's not up to NCL to promote healthy eating it's really up to you to know what it means to you). They do have "no sugar added" syrup for pancakes and whatnot, also egg white only omelets, if requested. There are always different fresh fruits available at the buffet and so much variety it makes it difficult to even choose.

No protein shakes but I suppose you could always bring your own mix and just add it to your drink. There is a great gym and pool on most of NCL's ships and a walking/running track as well.

You'll be on your cruise vacation so the focus is enjoyment, how you stay healthy is really up to you.

Enjoy your cruise,

Safe sailing,

We found the vegetarian items to be lacing unless you loved Indian food. Unfortunately, our one vegetarian in our family of 5 is the only one that doesn't like Indian food.

I would suggest stopping by a market or grocery store at port to purchase fresh local produce. Consume the fruits and vegetables during your visit. Purchase a bottle of water to wash your items. You will not be allowed to board the ship with fruits and vegetables though.

As others have said it's your responsibility to seek healthy eating.

There are several cereal choices , including oatmeal, nuts and dried fruits, egg whites,

take the skin off your chicken, stay away form cream sauces and gravies and lastly

SMALL PORTIONS. For fruits they will have banana's which usually run out 3/4 into cruise so take some and keep in your room.They also have a couple types of melons sliced and pineapple as well.

In the Epic buffet they had many sugar free dessert options that looked great. Unfortunately it also seemed to be sugar-free = taste-free for those desserts. But, like the others said plenty of options overall. If I remember correctly the MDR menu's had a little "heart healthy" sign next to the good options. Perhaps someone else can confirm that.

Healthy eating and cruising ? Not really a good match ..

Kinda like Nascar having a Green Tea Day ...

Thats why in every Cruise comercial they use the word " Indulge ". ;)

I think they have ORGANIC FLAX & HONEY TWIGS CEREAL :eek:

In the Epic buffet they had many sugar free dessert options that looked great. Unfortunately it also seemed to be sugar-free = taste-free for those desserts. But, like the others said plenty of options overall. If I remember correctly the MDR menu's had a little "heart healthy" sign next to the good options. Perhaps someone else can confirm that.

I was just getting ready to post about the heart...I last cruised in 2010 but I remember on both of our NCL cruises that they had at least one option a night with a heart and also a dessert a night, as well as sugar free desserts. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables on the buffet and poolside. (At least on Gem and Dawn)

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

Try this:

Breakfast: lox on an English muffin (the bagels are generally mediocre), with tomato and onion (if you like). You can put on a small amount of cream cheese if you want. Plenty of melon (generally the lower calorie fruit selection). You can get pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, etc., at home pretty easily, so why load up on it on the cruise?

Lunch: Always start with a large salad, and be careful about adding too much salad dressing. The old Weight Watchers tip is to dip your fork in the dressing and then pick up the lettuce with it. Try just a bit of other foods after that.

Dinner: Try whatever you want. The portions are right-sized (think of the size of a deck of cards when you are having your protein). You can ask for sauces on the side.

If you do this, you will find that you can splurge on desserts, etc. I usually take the stairs whenever possible. Unless there is a serious health condition that requires you to pay more attention to what you eat, be mostly concerned about portion size and you will feel like you have had the full eating experience without being too full.

Sorry if I sound a bit "preachy" but the goal of an all-you-can-eat cruise is not a dare to see how much you can eat! Now let's see if I follow these rules on my 11-day Southern Caribbean cruise on January 1, 2014!

One persons idea of healthy eating is another persons food dilemma.

I have changed the way I eat very dramatically in the last year and am enjoying better health for it. A lot of the things I have already seen listed in this thread are not my idea of a healthy food. So, know what you cannot or do not want to eat and choose your food from what is acceptable to you and your version of healthy eating.

You most certainly will find a lot to select from and will not go hungry

One persons idea of healthy eating is another persons food dilemma.

I have changed the way I eat very dramatically in the last year and am enjoying better health for it. A lot of the things I have already seen listed in this thread are not my idea of a healthy food. So, know what you cannot or do not want to eat and choose your food from what is acceptable to you and your version of healthy eating.

You most certainly will find a lot to select from and will not go hungry

Healthy eating could include NCL's elimination of processed food, but I doubt that will happen. On our POA cruise this year, I did not see the variety of fruits and vegetables I would like. At specialty restaurant, I asked for a generous portion of asparagas, and I got about 6 skinny pieces. Fruits on the buffet included just the common varieties---apples, bananas, oranges and pears. Papaya would have been nice.

Lots of fruits and veggies available on the buffet, salads always available at dinner and lunch, yes to egg white omelets in the a.m. and you can have them add in veggies. Heart healthy options indicated on MDR menu. If you have special dietary needs contact NCL ahead of time and also talk to the dining room head when you first board. There was a juice bar available on the Sun for a fee that did fresh veggie/fruit drinks for a fee. Not sure if all ships have that. Be careful about the "sugar-free" food - make sure it isn't made with aspartame which is very bad for you. Also, if you don't want to use cane sugar or the artificial sweeteners on board (blue, yellow and pink stuff), you might want to bring your own packets of stevia or agave.

You specifically mentioned "gluten free". Other than contacting the Maitre 'd upon boarding, is there anything else we need to do to ensure we have met the correct procedures for this type of diet? With Celiac disease, a mistake could ruin the cruise. Our TA said they do not have GF cereal, which is about the only GF food that you can buy that tastes like "normal" food:-) Do you know what varieties they normally have for GF food of any kind? Would appreciate having some knowledge ahead of time from someone who has experienced it. Thanx much!

There are all sorts of dietary options onboard, including low salt, sugar free, gluten free, vegetarian, etc etc etc. However, there aren't any services onboard that takes the place of your own responsibility in regards to consumption.

My cardiologist and dietitian have a simple solution to my yearly Jazz Cruise..if I eat healthy for 51 weeks a year I can indulge for my cruise week...I just eat my desserts before 3 pm, don't over indulge in any one item and dance alot every night..seems to work fine for me

You specifically mentioned "gluten free". Other than contacting the Maitre 'd upon boarding, is there anything else we need to do to ensure we have met the correct procedures for this type of diet? With Celiac disease, a mistake could ruin the cruise. Our TA said they do not have GF cereal, which is about the only GF food that you can buy that tastes like "normal" food:-) Do you know what varieties they normally have for GF food of any kind? Would appreciate having some knowledge ahead of time from someone who has experienced it. Thanx much!

NCL handles GF dining very well. You need to have your TA or PCC note on your reservation that you are GF, there is also a form that you fill out and send into their special assistance desk (all the info is on the NCL website). Then you go and talk with the Maitre D' at boarding and they will discuss your specific needs. Usually you have to chose your meal for the next evening a day ahead. It's also helpful to request the same wait staff each night so they know your needs. Their GF bread at dinner lightly toasted is wonderful! They will modify most recipes for you with advance notice. On the buffet there are always choices that are naturally GF - eggs, fruit, ect. You can always request to ask a chef about ingredients if you are not sure -- or just play it safe and only eat food from the buffet that you know to be GF.

I am not celiac but am gluten intolerant so a little gluten won't affect me nearly as much as it would a celiac. Though I eat mainly GF at home, on the cruise I just limit the amount of gluten each day. It was funny that I would order the GF bread but then might order a main dish or a dessert with gluten -- it would throw the wait staff into a panic and they would question if I could eat that-- I'd have to assure them it was fine. That's how seriously they take GF eating. Do some forum searches on gluten free and you'll find more info. I think they offer GF pizza at one of the bars but I never tried to find it.

I laughed at your post. There are plenty of food alternatives if you want to eat healthy.

Why should anyone promote eating healthy. It is up to the individual to eat the way they want.

I am still cracking up from your post. THANKS for the laugh. I needed it.