Port Everglades Arrival Time

aftop

I am booked on the 15 Nov.2013 Independence of Seas cruise. I received an e mail from RCI not to arrive before 1 PM as ship is returning from Europe and there my be delays clearing immigration.

Has anyone experienced this and should I wait until 1 PM or arrive around 11 AM as planned?

They have been sending this same B.S. on other ships including the Allure on Oct 27th sailing. Get there at 11AM as planned. You should have no problems. We got there at 10:30AM and it was fine.

They started that B.S. during the government sequester months back and nobody is smart enough to put a stop to it. (or doesn't want to)

They have been sending this same B.S. on other ships including the Allure on Oct 27th sailing. Get there at 11AM as planned. You should have no problems. We got there at 10:30AM and it was fine.

They started that B.S. during the government sequester months back and nobody is smart enough to put a stop to it. (or doesn't want to)

The OP isn't talking about Oasis or Allure. The Independence is returning from Europe. Maybe things will go fine, but if there was ever going to be a delay, this is when it will happen.

My suggestion is to do what I always do. Take your time, go somewhere for a nice lunch, and then board in the afternoon. No need to sit in some terminal only to still not be able to access your cabin when you finally board. You're going to have plenty of time on the ship, make the boarding day a bit more leisurely.

They have been sending this same B.S. on other ships including the Allure on Oct 27th sailing.

Agree with macruisefan that this is not necessarily the same letter, but one more specific to a TA Independence sailing that may possibly have different customs implications than the more "generic" letters regarding Oasis / Allure.

But who knows for sure....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am booked on the 15 Nov.2013 Independence of Seas cruise. I received an e mail from RCI not to arrive before 1 PM as ship is returning from Europe and there my be delays clearing immigration.

Has anyone experienced this and should I wait until 1 PM or arrive around 11 AM as planned?

Here is what happened on the Liberty first day back from her TA:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942820

Agree with macruisefan that this is not necessarily the same letter, but one more specific to a TA Independence sailing that may possibly have different customs implications than the more "generic" letters regarding Oasis / Allure.

But who knows for sure....

How comfortable is the terminal Indy uses? (I've only used the other terminal when I was on Navigator and Allure) Given all the facts an opinions provided, I would probably still arrive early and plan on making my self comfortable and have plans to kill time if needed. Waiting to get on the ship is a rare time when I can show some patience.

How comfortable is the terminal Indy uses? (I've only used the other terminal when I was on Navigator and Allure) Given all the facts an opinions provided, I would probably still arrive early and plan on making my self comfortable and have plans to kill time if needed. Waiting to get on the ship is a rare time when I can show some patience.

Not very comfortable, there is no inside waiting area and only a few benches.

In my opinion Terminal 29 is the worst terminal in Port Everglades.

Edited by oneputt18

The only time we used 29 was last year on Indy and we simply walked in and boarded. Coming of the ship there was a moderate line through customs but no real delay, so we never had to wait either way in the terminal. So in our case it was fine but understand the potential downside as you indicate. That all being said we always prefer to arrive at (any) terminal between 10:30 - 11:00 AM so as to be on the front side of boarding.

We plan on getting there around 11:30. (As long as the RC shuttles from FLL are running that early.) We have a 12 month old in tow, so we will be looking for a spot he can play at since we will be a long flight that morning! Here's to hoping customs clears quickly and we can get on earlier than 1!

We are sailing on the Liberty soon, and I plan to get to the pier around 12-1215. Hopefully initial rush is done, and the cabins will be available shortly after we board. After a quick look, then to the Windjammer (maybe) for lunch (or Sorrento/Promenade)

Sailing with 85/83 year old parents. Less time waiting in lines and terminals the better !

Indy is scheduled to arrive to and depart from terminal 18 (oasis and allures) she will then go back to 29 after our sailing

That should make a big (positive) difference for that particular itinerary as 18 is set up extremely well for large crowd disembarkations and subsequent embarkations. Good waiting areas as well.

how do you know what terminal your ship will go to? I am on Nov 14th Liberty sailing...only cruise ship in port...wonder if we will get the wonderful 18 or not

Check your cruise documents. They mention which terminal to go to under the Port Directions section.

Of all the factors given this may be the most relevant to arriving or not arriving early yours maybe the most relevant.

I hope this is not a silly question.

If there is no inside waiting area, are there restrooms available?

We arrived 11/9/13 on the Liberty after a TA from Barcelona. I can assure you, no BS, that nobody embarked before 1:00. Walk off didn't start until about 8:00. We didn't get off the ship until 10:45 (estimated time was 9:15) and there were still hundreds of pax waiting in the lounges to disembark. Finally cleared customs about 11:30. With people starting to arrive at 11:00, the traffic was chaotic and the port police were trying to sort it all out.

We arrived 11/9/13 on the Liberty after a TA from Barcelona. I can assure you, no BS, that nobody embarked before 1:00. Walk off didn't start until about 8:00. We didn't get off the ship until 10:45 (estimated time was 9:15) and there were still hundreds of pax waiting in the lounges to disembark. Finally cleared customs about 11:30. With people starting to arrive at 11:00, the traffic was chaotic and the port police were trying to sort it all out.

I am corrected!:o

I guess lately I have become a cynic whenever I hear the government say anything.