I called the Upgrade Fairy!

Out to sea!

I booked my Epic cruise over this Thanksgiving only 10 days ago so of course, paid in full on the spot. Got a great price and an ID cabin on deck 11, was very happy. Noticed yesterday that they have lowered the AARP price another $20 per person. decided to call just to see if they would do something (not expected nor would it have mattered if they had said no). The gentleman on the line (after a few minutes wait) told me they couldn't give me any OBC (which I expected) but offered to upgrade us to a IA on deck 13 for FREE!!!! I couldn't believe my ears! So I said "yes sir, we'll take it" and thanked him profusely. So, as an FYI to all, the Upgrade Fairy still exists! :)

Edited by Out to sea!

Congrats also.

From my experience recently, if the price drops for a higher category room, and what you paid originally is more or equal to what it costs to book the higher room, they will easily move you to that category. All you have to do is ask. Make sure you go through your TA if you used one. They call NCL and ask for that. On our trip, the balconies were listed as cheaper than inside for a while which is crazy. They had a bunch unsold.

A month ago I managed to get upgraded this way from five person OV to TWO side by side balconies for no cost. Plus I got my In-laws upgraded to a balcony, and my B-I-L also.

The theory is that since you've paid, they rather upgrade you and make you happy, plus they can then re-sell your original room to those looking for cheaper room option.

From what I have learned, the ideal time to watch for price drops is around the 28 days mark prior to sailing. This is when they start discounting available cabins.

Have a great trip.

Congrats!!! Enjoy your cruise. Do you know if the phone number is the same that it was a few years ago because from what I heard they no longer took calls. If you have a different # I know I would love to have it!! Again, have a great cruise!!

I just called the main number listed on the website.

Congrats also.

From my experience recently, if the price drops for a higher category room, and what you paid originally is more or equal to what it costs to book the higher room, they will easily move you to that category. All you have to do is ask. Make sure you go through your TA if you used one. They call NCL and ask for that. On our trip, the balconies were listed as cheaper than inside for a while which is crazy. They had a bunch unsold.

A month ago I managed to get upgraded this way from five person OV to TWO side by side balconies for no cost. Plus I got my In-laws upgraded to a balcony, and my B-I-L also.

The theory is that since you've paid, they rather upgrade you and make you happy, plus they can then re-sell your original room to those looking for cheaper room option.

From what I have learned, the ideal time to watch for price drops is around the 28 days mark prior to sailing. This is when they start discounting available cabins.

Have a great trip.

Agreed on the TA though I haven't used one in years. I just prefer to go on the website so that I can make sure ALL of the personal info is put in correctly with no misspellings or inaccuracies.

Thanks for the heads up on the 28 day notice. i'll have to keep that in mind.

Congrats!!!! I am still waiting to see if she exists!! Never had a visit from her. Although did receive a sweet deal on my upcoming cruise in October.

Create your own visit. As others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask, just be ready with a pleasant voice if the answer is no.

Congrats also.

Have a great trip.

Great news! Congratulations and thanks for the information.

I managed to get a few bucks back on our HAL cruise this way (as OBC) but so far our Star cruises have only gone up. I will use the 28 day window and keep trying. Unfortunately balconies are sold out on one of them.

Congrats!

I am on the Jewel over Thanksgiving in a BB balcony. They originally offered me a family balcony but I didn't feel it was an upgrade. It was not located where I wanted and had connecting doors. I purposely booked a cabin without connecting doors.

I called back last Friday and they overed me $105 obc...I jumped on it! I knew they wouldn't upgrade me to a suite.

Have a great cruise!

Create your own visit. As others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask, just be ready with a pleasant voice if the answer is no.

We are just about 11 months out and our cruise was originally a 9 day and was modified to an 11 day with added sea day and port at no extra charge and including a $75.00 OBC! This was a VERY pleasant surprise for us. I don't think I would be able to get a good rate for what they are selling for now at the 11 day rate. I will keep looking though!!

Congrats!!! Enjoy your cruise. Do you know if the phone number is the same that it was a few years ago because from what I heard they no longer took calls. If you have a different # I know I would love to have it!! Again, have a great cruise!!

There is a big difference between the Upgrade Fairy and the Upsell Fairy who still does not accept incoming calls.

I call my TA when the price drops and get upgraded to the category that is at the price I originally paid. Not sure I'd consider that the upgrade fairy. Not magical to have the category at the price I'm paying anyway.

I tried to have my TA ask about us getting the next category up at a better price than posted on the website (do my own upsell) but have been told NOPE twice.

Edited by mizlorinj

I booked inside guarantee cabin, then the price dropped and the balcony guarantee cabin was only 35€/person more. So I asked my TA if we could book the balcony or get an upgrade by NCL.

My TA said that NCL confirmed it would be possible to pay the 35€/person to get a balcony.

But now we got a very bad one, the 3rd cabin from the bow!

And on another ship we already had very bad experience with an inside cabin directly in the bow (very loud and heavy swell).

So now I am afraid that we also will have these problems there.

Do you know if there is any chance for us to change the cabin for the same price now? Or is it only possible to ask when we already are on board?

Edited by conny111

Do you know if there is any chance for us to change the cabin for the same price now? Or is it only possible to ask when we already are on board?

Unfortunately by NCL rules, only way to get a guarantee cabin switched is to pay for an upgrade for a higher category to be able to choose a specific cabin. NCL states that there are no changes to guarantee cabins, getting a cabin that is not in a good location is one of risks when booking a guarantee.

If you are not happy with the cabin, I wouldn't wait until onboard. There is a good chance that you won't be able to change cabin there and even if you could, they could consider it as an upgrade as I previously explained and charge you for it.

I booked my Epic cruise over this Thanksgiving only 10 days ago so of course, paid in full on the spot. Got a great price and an ID cabin on deck 11, was very happy. Noticed yesterday that they have lowered the AARP price another $20 per person. decided to call just to see if they would do something (not expected nor would it have mattered if they had said no). The gentleman on the line (after a few minutes wait) told me they couldn't give me any OBC (which I expected) but offered to upgrade us to a IA on deck 13 for FREE!!!! I couldn't believe my ears! So I said "yes sir, we'll take it" and thanked him profusely. So, as an FYI to all, the Upgrade Fairy still exists! :)

Just curious...

When you first booked your cruise, was it through a Travel Agent? or did you go direct to NCL?

Just curious...

When you first booked your cruise, was it through a Travel Agent? or did you go direct to NCL?

I first booked this cruise on the NCL website 24 days from sailing. I called NCL about possible OBC and got the upgrade instead 12 days from sailing. I never go through a TA anymore although I use a few TA websites to look for deals.

Edited by Out to sea!