Smart Phone on Ship Questions

KillaFee

Hellloooooo everyone! We'll be on the Splendor out of NYC for the Thanksgiving cruise and we're STOKED! We plan on throwing our smartphones, tablet, etc....in the safe and being "unplugged" for most of the week. Both of us are on our phones 24/7 (like most people these days) so we're really looking forward to being in the moment and putting them away for a while.

HOWEVER, when we're on the ship and in the NYC harbor and heading out to sea, will our phones tap into the ships service and will we be charged for use? Or will it use regular towers for a bit? Basically, when do I need to turn off my data so I don't get charged for texts, posting on FB, etc? I just don't want to be taking photos and posting them while leaving the NY harbor and find out I'm getting charges. I really have no idea how this works, obviously. :D I know years and years ago when the ships didn't have towers, you basically just didn't have an option (which was fine with me!!) but now that you can tap into the ship, I basically need to know how to avoid getting any charges.

Thanks!

Laura

Hellloooooo everyone! We'll be on the Splendor out of NYC for the Thanksgiving cruise and we're STOKED! We plan on throwing our smartphones, tablet, etc....in the safe and being "unplugged" for most of the week. Both of us are on our phones 24/7 (like most people these days) so we're really looking forward to being in the moment and putting them away for a while.

HOWEVER, when we're on the ship and in the NYC harbor and heading out to sea, will our phones tap into the ships service and will we be charged for use? Or will it use regular towers for a bit? Basically, when do I need to turn off my data so I don't get charged for texts, posting on FB, etc? I just don't want to be taking photos and posting them while leaving the NY harbor and find out I'm getting charges. I really have no idea how this works, obviously. :D I know years and years ago when the ships didn't have towers, you basically just didn't have an option (which was fine with me!!) but now that you can tap into the ship, I basically need to know how to avoid getting any charges.

Thanks!

Laura

Double-check your network settings while in NYC so that it is only allowed to connect via your carrier network and you should be fine as you sail away. Then when you have no signal, just switch it to airplane mode and you need not worry about charges on your sailing.

That's really an extra measure of caution because most phones/devices will require an action on your part to connect to a different network, and connecting to the ship's wifi will require a login.

Enjoy!

I left a company smart phone on since they asked me to and were willing to cover the charges. All of the ports were US or Canada

• In port the phone attached to the local towers. Texts, data, and calls were all covered under my regular plan. In Canada I did get charged $.05 for every outgoing text.
  • When the ship left the range of the port towers I got a free text telling me how to activate the international roaming and how much it would cost if I used the phone without international roaming.
  • When out to sea my phone showed a different roaming icon.
  • I didn't activate or make any calls.
  • I didn't receive any calls either, but when we hit the next port I got texts and phone messages that had been queued up while we were at sea.

I was glad to see that nothing snuck in charging extra money but I don't think I would rely on that if I was footing the bill.

We're on the Splendor & had a balcony, tethering off the smartphone's land-based signal as we're cruising down the Hudson, passed SOL & going under VZB with our home carrier signal - doing some last minute, on-scene upload to FB page. No roamin charges incurred.

And, you should be fine heading out & away from the Ambrose Channel / Sandy Hook before pulling further away from land, signal begin to fade in and out, and somewhere here - the ship's satellite tower lite up and you get the roaming icon and SMS about "Welcome to Cellular At Sea" - if you are still not off the air or in Airplane Mode, then - the expensive metering charges for roaming begin to pile up on your next statement's billing ...

To avoid surprise, turn off roaming on iOS and Android devices before sailing, and then put it on Airplane mode - advanced mobile devices do use background data even while powering up and down, unless it's on Airplane Mode. Check with your carrier & read your device's instruction manual about optimal settings to avoid unwanted charges.

HOWEVER, when we're on the ship and in the NYC harbor and heading out to sea, will our phones tap into the ships service and will we be charged for use? Or will it use regular towers for a bit? Basically, when do I need to turn off my data so I don't get charged for texts, posting on FB, etc? I just don't want to be taking photos and posting them while leaving the NY harbor and find out I'm getting charges. I really have no idea how this works, obviously. :D I know years and years ago when the ships didn't have towers, you basically just didn't have an option (which was fine with me!!) but now that you can tap into the ship, I basically need to know how to avoid getting any charges

Thanks!

Laura

When we went on our last cruise, I wanted to use my camera phone, so checked here and also with my carrier ATT&T and found if I put it on airplane mode it would be fine. It was great since I could still use the camera and not worry about charges! Didn't text or post right away, but it was good since even tho I had my regular camera with me, the phone sometimes got better pictures! Have fun .... airplane mode, no worries and enjoy! :)

I used to use Airplane Mode, but it clamped down a bit too much. Now I just go in and TURN OFF DATA. That way I can still send/receive texts ($.50 and $.05 respectively) as well as make/receive calls (something like $2.49/minute).

I'll receive no data/roaming charges using this method - only the actual (above) costs of the calls/texts, while still having a small theater with the land based world.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

I used to use Airplane Mode, but it clamped down a bit too much. Now I just go in and TURN OFF DATA. That way I can still send/receive texts ($.50 and $.05 respectively) as well as make/receive calls (something like $2.49/minute).

I'll receive no data/roaming charges using this method - only the actual (above) costs of the calls/texts, while still having a small theater with the land based world.

Tom

I take that a little further -- I forward my phone BEFORE I leave port (and disable data)...that way no roaming charges....you can get hit sometimes even if you dont answer when it goes to Voicemail. Good news is you can still make calls in a pinch.

The text charges you mention are for Verizon I believe. On ATT if you have a Text package there is NO charge for incoming text and .50 for outgoing.

I dont use my phone generally, but nice to know the kids can hit me up with a text if there is a true emergency and I can do the same.

We're on the Splendor & had a balcony, tethering off the smartphone's land-based signal as we're cruising down the Hudson, passed SOL & going under VZB with our home carrier signal - doing some last minute, on-scene upload to FB page. No roamin charges incurred.

And, you should be fine heading out & away from the Ambrose Channel / Sandy Hook before pulling further away from land, signal begin to fade in and out, and somewhere here - the ship's satellite tower lite up and you get the roaming icon and SMS about "Welcome to Cellular At Sea" - if you are still not off the air or in Airplane Mode, then - the expensive metering charges for roaming begin to pile up on your next statement's billing ...

To avoid surprise, turn off roaming on iOS and Android devices before sailing, and then put it on Airplane mode - advanced mobile devices do use background data even while powering up and down, unless it's on Airplane Mode. Check with your carrier & read your device's instruction manual about optimal settings to avoid unwanted charges.

Our experience was similar on the Splendor. Our carrier is Sprint (YMMV by carrier) and we had service at least through early dinner seating and a little after. I believe we were about off Cape May, NJ when the signal got spotty so we turned our phones to airplane mode. Coming back we had spotty service even off the coast of VA - we saw personal watercraft close by there, so we thought there might be a signal. It wasn't strong enough to trust to not switch over to cellular at sea mid-task, so we left it off until morning. I woke up about 4am approaching NY Harbor and the signal was perfect.

Our experience was similar on the Splendor. Our carrier is Sprint (YMMV by carrier) and we had service at least through early dinner seating and a little after. I believe we were about off Cape May, NJ when the signal got spotty so we turned our phones to airplane mode. Coming back we had spotty service even off the coast of VA - we saw personal watercraft close by there, so we thought there might be a signal. It wasn't strong enough to trust to not switch over to cellular at sea mid-task, so we left it off until morning. I woke up about 4am approaching NY Harbor and the signal was perfect.

Very interesting! I'll definitely keep that in mind! Suffice to say I should be fine for posting a thing or two on FB and texting my mom when the horn blows, haha. :D

Laura

Thanks!

Laura

I have T-mobile (which I dearly love btw-the best customer service experience and plan by far) especially with free national plans blah blah blah....but, on that note, I called T-mobile for clarification on some things. This is what was explained to me....my cell phone (some fancy Samsung Galaxy 4 or something or another) will pick up whichever tower has the strongest signal. She told me that I could be picking up for any number of towers, and that is how the charges are determined. So you may or may not. Clear as mud right? Her suggestion, and mine, turn the phone off. Store it in the safe. When we got to Mexico and the ship was docked, we got off the ship and used our free international data with no problems (other than slow networking lol)

I have read stories of people being hit by a huge bill when they got home. I don't want any surprises like that. I don't need my phone, it goes off. I now can text, email etc. for free in over 100 countries (thanks again Tmobile) and I wait until then.

Enjoy the silence while you can. Of course, calling your individual carrier and checking your personal plan is best.