quick stupid question

peggyo

We leave in 5 hours to drive to Charleston for our first cruise. I have read FAQ's for about 6 months now waiting for time.

Now just to make sure so we have no problems, as long as we have a passport and drivers license for ID along with our boarding pass, we are good to go, right?

Thanks to all who have answered questions for me in the past.

A valid passport and government issued ID should do the trick. That is all I ever take. Your valid passport is needed for embarkation, your government issued photo ID and your sail and sign card is used to board the ship at the ports. Have a great trip, relax and enjoy.

We leave in 5 hours to drive to Charleston for our first cruise. I have read FAQ's for about 6 months now waiting for time.

Now just to make sure so we have no problems, as long as we have a passport and drivers license for ID along with our boarding pass, we are good to go, right?

Enjoy your cruise, even though you wont sleep much tonight.

If you have a passport, you don't need the driver's license.

To board you need ID (passport - drivers license not required)

Also need $$/credit card

They can help you if you don't have the boarding pass with you when you check-in - no biggie at all.

Have fun!

Yes, bring the passport and DL. You need to show a govt id at most ports to get back on the ship so that's where having the DL is useful. You can keep your passports in your cabin safe during the cruise.

Yes, bring the passport and DL. You need to show a govt id at most ports to get back on the ship so that's where having the DL is useful. You can keep your passports in your cabin safe during the cruise.

You can board any ship with a Passport. Nothing else is needed.

You can board any ship with a Passport. Nothing else is needed.

But as stated earlier, unless you plan on taking the passport off the ship at each port, take your DL. Easier to carry and usually asked for for reentry to the ship by local authorities (along with your S&S card).

Yep, you have it all covered, Now have a great cruise, then get OFF. I will be getting on. :D

But as stated earlier, unless you plan on taking the passport off the ship at each port, take your DL. Easier to carry and usually asked for for reentry to the ship by local authorities (along with your S&S card).

Sorry, I disagree. You should NEVER leave your passport "on the ship". Sounds like you are "guaranteed" thinking you are getting back on the ship? Well nobody is, and having your passport is necessary to get out of a lot of Caribbean areas.

If you think this doesn't happen, I can assure you it can.

Sorry, I disagree. You should NEVER leave your passport "on the ship". Sounds like you are "guaranteed" thinking you are getting back on the ship? Well nobody is, and having your passport is necessary to get out of a lot of Caribbean areas.

If you think this doesn't happen, I can assure you it can.

That's okay to disagree because I disagree with your line of thought as well. It's true, I've never sailed with NCL before so I'm not sure how they work things but I do know, on Carnival, if someone is going to miss the ship (at a port), they remove the passports from the customer's cabin safe and leave them at the dock for the person so they can get back home. Therefore, I ALWAYS leave my passport in my cabin safe when I go on shore. If you're worried about a cruise employee stealing your passport, well, let's just say I put more trust in them than those on the islands to not steal my passport.

BTW, the ONLY guarantees in life are taxes and death. Everything else is a crap shoot!

Edited by Out to sea!

We only take passports, and we take them onto the islands/ports with us. That being said, if we were thinking of renting a vehicle/ATV/dune buggy we would need our DL....and of course a credit card that we've "called in to inform of international travel" and lots of little cash.

You should be drinking fruity drinks on the lido right now!! Hope you are having fun:)

That's okay to disagree because I disagree with your line of thought as well. It's true, I've never sailed with NCL before so I'm not sure how they work things but I do know, on Carnival, if someone is going to miss the ship (at a port), they remove the passports from the customer's cabin safe and leave them at the dock for the person so they can get back home. Therefore, I ALWAYS leave my passport in my cabin safe when I go on shore. If you're worried about a cruise employee stealing your passport, well, let's just say I put more trust in them than those on the islands to not steal my passport.

BTW, the ONLY guarantees in life are taxes and death. Everything else is a crap shoot!

Agreed, on our 1st cruise we sailed on the Pride and we asked if we should bring our passports with us at the Ports.

We were actually told by guest services that we should use our licence or our Medicare cards that have Photo I.D., rather than leave the ship with our passport.