Three questions about minors on the Mercury

DougK

We've cruised on Celebrity several times before, but next month we're taking kids with us for the first time -- two nieces aged 10 and 13. All of a sudden, there's a whole new set of questions that never occurred to us before...

1) I notice that the Mercury deck plan shows a "Teenager Room" up on the Sky Deck. What's in the teenager room? Do kids actually tend to hang out there?

2) Close by the teenager room is an area labelled Video Games. What is that? Is it arcade style games, or is it some PlayStations or XBoxes? Is there a fee for these games? Not that I really want my nieces to spend their time on an Alaska cruise playing video games, but sometimes my desires don't match theirs...

3) Is the dress code relaxed for minors? As far as I know, neither kid has anything resembling formal clothes, or even what Celebrity labels "informal". We'll probably spring to get them each an outfit or two, but I don't really want to have to get an entire wardrobe to allow them to eat dinner with us.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Doug

It has been 5 years since I have been on either Galaxy or Mercury. I can tell you that the video game room is simply an arcade style game room. It is not free although there are periods when it is free as part of a scheduled activity organized by the kids program. There are Sony PlayStation type consoles in the Fun Factory play room but that tends to be oriented to younger kids.

The cabin TVs on the Mercury/Galaxy will accept RCA inputs and so you can bring your own video game console for the cabin.

My memories are even vaguer about the teen room. My kids were there a couple of times and there was nothing memorable about it. Maybe a small dance floor, tables, etc.

Going out and buying a couple of outfits is a good idea. While there is nothing official that says the standards for kids is any less than the adults, we have not gone nuts either with our kids. We make sure our son and daughter have a dark suit and dress, respectively for the formal nights.

Doug, We haven't sailed the Mercury, but we've been on Galaxy, Century, and all the Milli ships with our 2 girls now 13 & 18. They have been cruising since they were 4 & 8. Maybe I can help with the questions.

The Kids Club is great up until the "teen-age" years. Then the kids just seem to find each other and hang around. The age divisions for your nieces would be 10-12. Many 13 yo's hang out with the 10-12 age group because their parents don't want them mingling with the 17 yo's, especially girls. I think they will enjoy that group. The arcade has arcade games. The youth counselor has times that they take the kids there. Then it is free. If they go on their own, I think there is a charge. Mine never went unless it was scheduled in. They have talent shows, games, etc. for the kids, usually well attended. We do feel comfortable letting our girls roam in and out of the programming as they wish, as long as we know their general plan. They must tell us where they are going and when they think they will be back. When they were younger, we used walkie-talkie's, but now they pretty much stay together and call from a house phone and leave us a voice mail if we aren't in.

As far as dress. For formal night, dress for girls this age varies widely. Most are in just nice dresses. I would suggest a black skirt and different tops. Same for informal night. Maybe a khaki skirt and a couple of different tops. My girls now have long dresses from prom and cotillion, but they usually don't take them, preferring to wear the skirts. For casual night, capri's or khaki pants are fine. I did see teens in the dining room on casual night with jeans, but I do not allow my girls to do that. Celebrity wasn't making a big deal out of it. Since my girls do have the clothes, I figure it won't kill them to dress up once in a while just for me!

Oh, you asked about the teenager room. I haven't been in it, but according to my girls, it has a dance floor and some couches. That's about it. It's open according to the schedule they will receive. From what I gather nothing much happens there. Every night they will be left a schedule of events for the next day for their age group.

A couple of other things you may need to know. As you board, there will be representatives from the Kids programs at a table. Your 10 yo will need a wrist bracelet showing your muster station that she will wear at all times. The 13 yo is not required to have one, but given that this is her first cruise and that the 10yo has to have it, you may want to request that she get one, too, just for everyone's peace of mind. Also, a Soda card is available for $5 (I think) per day, but you have to buy it for the entire week. If the girls are typical kids, this may be a good investment. This allows them soda by the drink at all bars, in the theater and dining room. It does not include room service or canned sodas. I think for the week, including the 15% tip, it cost $49.50 per card last week on Infinity.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, I'll try to help. Wish I'd had an uncle like you! Have a great time with the girls! You are giving them the trip of a lifetime. Hope you are prepared to have them bug you to take them on every cruise!

Becky

I have to say that I don't agree with the last poster. We have been bringing out DD-13 with us on cruises since she was 6. She has learned very much from these experiences, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I feel that with appropriate parenting, no one will be inconvienced by the "mini" cruisers. She is a very respectful, kind, and enjoyable girl. Don't group all kids by the few that are let run wild by parents who aren't parenting.

and FYI- there are some adults who shouldn't cruise.:p

I have to say that I don't agree with the last poster. We have been bringing out DD-13 with us on cruises since she was 6. She has learned very much from these experiences, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I feel that with appropriate parenting, no one will be inconvienced by the "mini" cruisers. She is a very respectful, kind, and enjoyable girl. Don't group all kids by the few that are let run wild by parents who aren't parenting.

and FYI- there are some adults who shouldn't cruise.:p

I agree with you 100%

My son who is five came with us on our Bermuda cruise last month. I agree that it is an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. And a cruise ship is a perfect family vacation. Everyone gets some time on their own. He was in the children's program sometimes and sometimes with us. He LOVED the kids program. He ate dinner with us 4 nights (including one formal night) and with the kids 3 nights. He was well behaved and the people at our table very much enjoyed him. When we didn't have him at dinner with us the waiters were disappointed and on the last night we had to bring him to the dining room after dinner so everyone could say good-bye to him. All the staff on the ship treated him especially well and he loved the attention. Kudos to Celebrity for their fine service, including that which they give the children on board.

He wore a jacket and tie on formal and informal nights and polo shirt and cotton pants on casual nights. They do also provide a children's menu in the dining room.

The key is the parenting. My son is taught manners and the proper way to behave in public. He has always come to restaurants with us, including high end type establishments. We practiced our manners before the cruise and he was taught some safety practices. He wore his muster station wristband and was given an additional one when participating in the children's program.

We are now looking forward to our next cruise.

• 4 years later...
We've cruised on Celebrity several times before, but next month we're taking kids with us for the first time -- two nieces aged 10 and 13. All of a sudden, there's a whole new set of questions that never occurred to us before...

1) I notice that the Mercury deck plan shows a "Teenager Room" up on the Sky Deck. What's in the teenager room? Do kids actually tend to hang out there?

2) Close by the teenager room is an area labelled Video Games. What is that? Is it arcade style games, or is it some PlayStations or XBoxes? Is there a fee for these games? Not that I really want my nieces to spend their time on an Alaska cruise playing video games, but sometimes my desires don't match theirs...

3) Is the dress code relaxed for minors? As far as I know, neither kid has anything resembling formal clothes, or even what Celebrity labels "informal". We'll probably spring to get them each an outfit or two, but I don't really want to have to get an entire wardrobe to allow them to eat dinner with us.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Doug

We were on the Mercury in Feb. out of Baltimore, most of the passengers were of the "older crowd". My kids, now young adults, would have been bored to death, on this cruise. I do remember seeing a small arcade with a few machines and it was always empty. I would suggest that they bring along some of their own entertainment, ie., ipods, video games, and books for sea days. I do remember that they offered a scrapbooking course, you could look out for that. The ship is old and it caters to the older set IMO, especially with the entertainment in the lounges and it reminds me of what cruising used to be like, before the big mega ships with rock climbing walls and wave pools. If your nieces have never cruised before, they will not know the difference, but I would have picked another cruise line if I were taking kids.

We were on the Mercury in Feb. out of Baltimore, most of the passengers were of the "older crowd". My kids, now young adults, would have been bored to death, on this cruise. I do remember seeing a small arcade with a few machines and it was always empty. I would suggest that they bring along some of their own entertainment, ie., ipods, video games, and books for sea days. I do remember that they offered a scrapbooking course, you could look out for that. The ship is old and it caters to the older set IMO, especially with the entertainment in the lounges and it reminds me of what cruising used to be like, before the big mega ships with rock climbing walls and wave pools. If your nieces have never cruised before, they will not know the difference, but I would have picked another cruise line if I were taking kids.

Hi,:) looks like the original post is 5 years old so who knows if Doug

and his nieces ever took that cruise.

Archived