Why are Japan/China cruises only in cold weather?

ohmark

It seems like ocean-going cruise ships, including Oceania's, and with rare exception, only visit Japanese and Chinese ports in winter. Wonder why?

The fall and summer brings heavy rain and storms. Too many cruises go from places line Bangkok or Singapore where it will be very warm. douth of the equator

Feb-March April best weather most stable and Japan /China in speing color is great ( cherry blossoms )

It seems like ocean-going cruise ships, including Oceania's, and with rare exception, only visit Japanese and Chinese ports in winter. Wonder why?

Princess is doing Japan/China in the summer months. They do Australia/New zealand in the Australian sumer . Then move to Asia in the spring before continuing on to Japan/China. Most cruises try to do Japan during the spring Cherry Time.

After being in China in July, I would not recommend a summer cruise to either Japan or China in our summer months. Too hot and humid. All you had to be was outside for 5 minutes and your clothes felt like you were in a sauna. I have done Japan in March and the cherry blossoms were gorgeous. Yes, it was a bit nippy, but just remember to bring gloves, hat and warm coat and you will enjoy Japan. Also, the whole time I was there in March, there was not one bit of rain.

Princess is doing Japan/China in the summer months. They do Australia/New zealand in the Australian sumer . Then move to Asia in the spring before continuing on to Japan/China. Most cruises try to do Japan during the spring Cherry Time.

I just checked Princess website and noticed they do have spring cruises in 2014 that include both Japan and China, but nothing in the summer (June, July, August) that includes China at all. Their 2015 schedule is scant now, and I assume will fill out at a later date.

Are there any arguments for verandas? Average February fahrenheit temperatures in Tokyo, Kyoto, Beijing, and Shanghai are: 48/36, 48/30, 43/21, and 46/36.

Regardless of itinerary, a Veranda is a must if you are travelling with three or more in the room.

A great place to duck out when somebody wants a little privacy and the bathroom isn't free; and an even better place to brood about why YOU had to go out on the veranda!

Are there any arguments for verandas? Average February fahrenheit temperatures in Tokyo, Kyoto, Beijing, and Shanghai are: 48/36, 48/30, 43/21, and 46/36.

When verandas do work, like Polynesia circle tour. Or New Zealand or Norway Fijord to the canals and parts of Chilean coast

However, for the vast majority a simple ocean view will be more productive. In trans oceanic, cold climes like Antarctica and Alaska , northern Aisia and Japan, they are seldom used. First because of weather and second because there is nothing to see from them but the thin blue line of the horizon

Went to Antarctica last year and got an outside.... the heat sink from the ocean, wind and cold , even with heat at max, hetp the cabin in the low 50's.. We ended up covering the window with towels, luggage, extra pillows... any thing it help insulate. We slept in long johns and knit hats.. it was darn cold. We were able to swap for a nice warm inside cabin thank god after several days.

Verandas have appeal, and are marketed heavily. Whether its for you or you ego you have to decide

A side note.... here in Hawaii few residents have a convertabile, They are only driven by visitors who rent them... and quickly put the tops back up

The Idea sounds good..... but the reality wears thin fast

I just checked Princess website and noticed they do have spring cruises in 2014 that include both Japan and China, but nothing in the summer (June, July, August) that includes China at all. Their 2015 schedule is scant now, and I assume will fill out at a later date.

The 2015 will be out in March or April of 2014.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app