Can any Candian cruisers answer an airport question for me?

Hi guys, planning on going on my first cruise in December. The problem is, I have had finger prints taken by the police as I have a current court case pending for theft under 5000 and my trip is planned before any of the main court dates. There are no restrictions to my travel and I have not been convicted of anything.

Are there any Canadians who have been through a similar situation? Do you think having a pending court case will lead to be being denied entry to the US? Do they fingerprint Canadians at customs and if so, would my pending case come up as a negative?

Thanks for any help that you can give me!

Do they fingerprint Canadians at customs...

Have not been in your situation but can tell you we have never been fingerprinted at any border crossing, land or airport. However, your passport will be swiped as you cross and our two borders do share information (says my US tax attorney). Personally, I would be contacting an attorney about this instead of relying on a cruise message board for information. JMHO.

Have not been in your situation but can tell you we have never been fingerprinted at any border crossing, land or airport. However, your passport will be swiped as you cross and our two borders do share information (says my US tax attorney). Personally, I would be contacting an attorney about this instead of relying on a cruise message board for information. JMHO.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have spoken to my attorney and he states that although it should be fine, entering into the US is based on American jurisdiction so he can't confidently tell me with 100% certainty what would happen.

When was the last time you travelled to the United States from Canada?

I haven't been in this situation either but Canadian Border Services will probably ask you if you've been fingerprinted or have been convicted of anything before you enter the country. Be honest with them. They would know.

They might deny you entry if they think you are trying to run from the law. Have your itinerary with return tickets on hand.

Don't be surprised if you are denied entry.

Well those of us who have NEXUS cards have been finger printed however I doubt that a passport swipe would call them up.

This is the first time that I have read of situation like the OP as read and I am really not sure that they should rely on the information that they receive here. While it is very fundamental that you are innocent until proven guilty, I am almost certain that if the charge relates to a drug offence that they will not be permitted entry. You may care to check this link as it has some good information including who you should contact.

An interesting question and unlikely anyone on this form has the facts. Discussing this with your lawyer and/or US Border Services would be the best route. You don't say where you will clear customs which is something to consider as it will determine where you are turned back (if that happens) and whatever costs associated with it.

Since you are not prohibited from travel (I assume that also means you have not had to hand in your passport) and have not been convicted of a crime (the old Innocent until proven guilty adage) I see no reason why the US would not allow you in based on your description of the charges.

It would be a good idea to bring along any documents you may have regarding your ability to travel as well as to ensure all your travel documents clearly show your plan to return home.

• 2 weeks later...

You may not have been convicted...but if the judge who heard the charges (prior to going to trial) imposed a travel ban on you...you should not try to exit Canada borders...that will throw up a big red flag somewhere for sure.