Need some help--I cannot get a sraight answer from Carnival

Jeafl

I have called asking for advice 3 different times and got 3 different answers.

Here's the situation. I booked three rooms on the Liberty in March. One room for my family, one room for my parents, and one room for my sister and her boyfriend. Well, after 30 years, the boyfriend decided he no longer wants to be in a relationship anymore and is backing out of the cruise ( and the relationship).

We booked early saver, first of all, which makes it tricky. What I wanted to know is what her options are. She would ideally like to cancel her room and move into my parents' room which would require them moving into a 3-person room. Or, invite a friend along to share her cabin. As of right now, all of us have only paid the $250 per person deposit.

The first Carnival rep told us our only option was to have my sister stay in the cabin by herself and pay 200%, or she could cancel completely and have neither one go and forfeit the $500.

I called back to clarify that, and the second rep told me another person could join her in her room but the boyfriend would lose his deposit, and the new person would have to pay a new deposit and whatever the current fare is.

I figured I would call a third time and see which scenario the third rep agreed with. She said both must cancel and my sister would have to start a new booking and pay ANOTHER deposit if she wanted to go.

So now I am completely disgusted with Carnival for not being able to give me a straight answer. All 3 reps freely admitted they had to look up the information, and were trying to read and understand it themselves. Do any of you know for sure which is the correct information????

By the way, she does have insurance but not the "cancel for any reason" kind.

Here's the situation. I booked three rooms on the Liberty in March. One room for my family, one room for my parents, and one room for my sister and her boyfriend. Well, after 30 years, the boyfriend decided he no longer wants to be in a relationship anymore and is backing out of the cruise ( and the relationship).

We booked early saver, first of all, which makes it tricky. What I wanted to know is what her options are. She would ideally like to cancel her room and move into my parents' room which would require them moving into a 3-person room. Or, invite a friend along to share her cabin. As of right now, all of us have only paid the $250 per person deposit.

The first Carnival rep told us our only option was to have my sister stay in the cabin by herself and pay 200%, or she could cancel completely and have neither one go and forfeit the $500.

I called back to clarify that, and the second rep told me another person could join her in her room but the boyfriend would lose his deposit, and the new person would have to pay a new deposit and whatever the current fare is.

I figured I would call a third time and see which scenario the third rep agreed with. She said both must cancel and my sister would have to start a new booking and pay ANOTHER deposit if she wanted to go.

So now I am completely disgusted with Carnival for not being able to give me a straight answer. All 3 reps freely admitted they had to look up the information, and were trying to read and understand it themselves. Do any of you know for sure which is the correct information????

If your sister cancels, under ES, she will lose $50, her deposit and monies paid to date will be transferred to a new booking (which could even be a new ship/date) which can be to your parents room. She would then be the 3rd occupant of that room with a lower cost. Since you don't say how much has been paid, CCL will need to advise on the $$ situation. If she has paid full fare at this point, she may lose the difference between the higher cost cabin she is now in and the lower cost of 3rd inhabitant in your parents room. The boyfriend will lose his deposit + $50 more.

Another scenario would be your sister keeping her present cabin. She would then have to pay the full cost for two inhabitants in that cabin, which would be the costs that the boyfriend had paid including deposit which is applied to total monies due (assuming that the cabin price is still the same). Being that you all booked ES, if the price has dropped she is entitled to the lower price for both fares.

Hope this helps....ES is a great way to go with CCL, many lines do not offer the ability to take advantage of price drops after final payment is due. However, with ES there is a penalty (which is $50 per person if booking is transferred...or.... $50 + deposit if not rebooking) assuming this is before final payment is due.

Edited by buddylover

If your sister cancels, under ES, she will lose $50, her deposit and monies paid to date will be transferred to a new booking (which could even be a new ship/date) which can be to your parents room. She would then be the 3rd occupant of that room with a lower cost. Since you don't say how much has been paid, CCL will need to advise on the $$ situation. If she has paid full fare at this point, she may lose the difference between the higher cost cabin she is now in and the lower cost of 3rd inhabitant in your parents room. The boyfriend will lose his deposit + $50 more.

Another scenario would be your sister keeping her present cabin. She would then have to pay the full cost for two inhabitants in that cabin, which would be the costs that the boyfriend had paid including deposit which is applied to total monies due (assuming that the cabin price is still the same). Being that you all booked ES, if the price has dropped she is entitled to the lower price for both fares.

Hope this helps....ES is a great way to go with CCL, many lines do not offer the ability to take advantage of price drops after final payment is due. However, with ES there is a penalty (which is $50 per person if booking is transferred...or.... $50 + deposit if not rebooking) assuming this is before final payment is due.

Or she could keep her cabin, eventually pay final payment and then have him be a No Show.

First if the total amount is not due yet you can cancel without loosing your deposit. I had a friend do this. If you are canceling when the final payment is due they would have to book another room.

We just changed our pricing on the liberty for our FEb cruise. It was better financially to book with the deposit being cheaper we had gotten shipboard credit. My thought we were paying for the credit anyways. Then we re booked it at the different price.

Friends of ours on the same cruise switched rooms. This was all done before final payment was due. If you are having a problem ask for a supervisor. Carnival doesn't want to loose your business. In fact they are changing their fare structures they are too complicated. If your balance is due the credit would be used on a different room or booking. That happened to a friend to..

Best of luck..

First if the total amount is not due yet you can cancel without loosing your deposit. I had a friend do this. If you are canceling when the final payment is due they would have to book another room.

We just changed our pricing on the liberty for our FEb cruise. It was better financially to book with the deposit being cheaper we had gotten shipboard credit. My thought we were paying for the credit anyways. Then we re booked it at the different price.

Friends of ours on the same cruise switched rooms. This was all done before final payment was due. If you are having a problem ask for a supervisor. Carnival doesn't want to loose your business. In fact they are changing their fare structures they are too complicated. If your balance is due the credit would be used on a different room or booking. That happened to a friend to..

Best of luck..

I dont think you or your friend were booked ES if he canceled and got his money back.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I wouldn't take advice from these boards for your situation. You will get many different answers here just like the three different ones that you have gotten from the Carnival reps. I would call Carnival back and tell the person who answers that you have a problem and have received 3 different answers already. Ask to speak to a supervisor so that they can look up the proper answer for you.

Edited by Mysticks1

First if the total amount is not due yet you can cancel without loosing your deposit. I had a friend do this.

OP said that they all booked Early Saver and with ES you CANNOT cancel without penalties.

If your sister does not have a friend to stay with her in her booked cabin, the best scenario for her would be as follows (in my opinion):

1. Cancel the ex-boyfriend. There is a $50 penalty and the $200 balance will go towards another (new) booking to whoever paid for this deposit. So, if she paid the boyfriends deposit with her card, the $200 future cruise credit goes to her. If not, it goes to the boyfriend.

2. Cancel herself out of the cabin. She loses $50, but gets $200 cruise credit for another cruise.

3. Book herself with the parents, using this $200 future credit plus another $50 to complete the deposit.

4. Enjoy the cruise and forget the &^^&$^(* that bailed on her right before cruising.

No name changes are allowed with early saver fares. She can cancel the reservation and receive a future cruise credit minus $50 for her portion of the fare only. Whether she can be added to another cabin will depend on what cabins are available that will hold 3 people. Downgrades are not allowed but paying for an upgrade to get a cabin that will hold 3 people would be allowed.

You can read the fine print rules at the bottom of this page.

http://www.carnival.com/specials/early-saver.aspx

"All cancellations that occur prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit can only be redeemed on bookings made in USD currency, will be applied to your cruise fare, is non-refundable, non-transferable, any unused portion will be forfeited, and must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation."

I hope it works out well for her.

If I were her I'd find a new roomie. To cancel the whole thing is only going to cost her $50 Her ex is obviously on the hook for his own $50. Then start the booking over. If the agent is nice they may even let you just switch the name after the bf forfeits and just have the roomie you pay the new $250 deposit. Ex will get $200 back.

OP said that they all booked Early Saver and with ES you CANNOT cancel without penalties.

If your sister does not have a friend to stay with her in her booked cabin, the best scenario for her would be as follows (in my opinion):

1. Cancel the ex-boyfriend. There is a $50 penalty and the $200 balance will go towards another (new) booking to whoever paid for this deposit. So, if she paid the boyfriends deposit with her card, the $200 future cruise credit goes to her. If not, it goes to the boyfriend.

2. Cancel herself out of the cabin. She loses $50, but gets $200 cruise credit for another cruise.

3. Book herself with the parents, using this $200 future credit plus another $50 to complete the deposit.

4. Enjoy the cruise and forget the &^^&$^(* that bailed on her right before cruising.

I font believe you can use the $200 credit for the same cruise you just canceled unless they changed things which is a real good pissibility.

Bill

I font believe you can use the $200 credit for the same cruise you just canceled unless they changed things which is a real good pissibility.

Bill

OP's sister doesn't need to cancel her cruise. I mentioned she needs to cancel herself out of her current cabin. So she only loses the $50 and the rest $200 will go to her "new" cabin with her parents.

I've done this many times for clients.

OP's sister doesn't need to cancel her cruise. I mentioned she needs to cancel herself out of her current cabin. So she only loses the $50 and the rest $200 will go to her "new" cabin with her parents.

I've done this many times for clients.

OK that's cool. Thank you for the reply.:)

Bill

One additional option. There have been numerous cruises lately where the solo supplement has been waived. If this cruise is one of those, then she could just pay the remaining on her own cabin and cancel the boyfriend. Plus, if she DID pay the other deposit, she could get $200 back towards another cruise.

Bob

Just an FYI...In a normal situation, when a cabin is booked, using ES, and the cruise is cancelled, $50 is lost, and whatever deposit is left is held up to 2 years until a new cruise is booked. That held money cannot be used towards the deposit, just the remaining total of the cruise. I do know this, because I Have personal expierence with a cruise I'm booked on now.

Now in this situation, since the person wants to be added to another room, it may be a different situation, but just don't count on it. She may have to come up with another $250 deposit. Then the held $200 would be applied to total remaining...if she paid for both deposits, she would have $400 held to apply.

I also think if the ex BF paid his own deposit, and doesn't ever book another cruise in 2 years, he's out the full $250.

Edited by crzndeb

I think if she talks to the correct person she can change her room (move in parents room) and not lose her deposit of have to pay $50. She is not cancelling the cruise she is requesting a room change and there should be no charge for that.

On the other hand the boyfriend loses $50 of the deposit and the remaining money is held towards a future cruise and must be used within 2 years of the cancellation date.

She does not have to give up the room. If she thinks she can find someone else to go in his place I would wait to cancel the boyfriend. Then when the other person is ready to book cancel the BF and replace him with the new person, otherwise she will have to pay the solo rate to keep the room by herself.

As an agent, the person who said you can cancel and lose your 50.00 is correct. when you book anything under the early saver price you basically get screwed when it comes to cancelling. It happened to my mother she ended up getting a credit for a future cruise. The other thing is you should always book with an agent as to when problems come up they have a way of getting more things resolved quicker than if you called ccl yourself.

everyone loves the es rate but it can get you into so much hot water in emergencies.lol.

When calling ccl ask for a superviser in the guest resolutions department.

they are the ones who will give you the correct answers and can help you the most. always keep track of when, who, you spoke to.

hope this helps.

I vote for #4