Whats your "must buy" item from Grand Cayman

Kajunswty

I learned on our last trip to GCM that black coral is illegal to harvest in GCM so what you buy is generally from Haiti or another location if it matters to you.

We (like msfuzzmo) like to bring back small bottles of the Big Black Dick Rum, can't beat them for gifts! But the BBD rum liquor is actually very good and we bring a couple liters of that back for us when we fly out.

Nothing really stands out here (as compared to the Lencan pottery from Honduras/Roatan, for example). But what a great place to enjoy a beach!

Big Black Dick rum is sold by Blackbeard's Liquors. They have several shops in the George Town and Seven Mile Beach area. The easiest to find is in the basement level of the Landmark Building (below Breezes By the Bay restaurant).

Yep! That's where we got it!

Yes for GCM and most Carib islands it's just about enjoying the moment. But the dark chocolate rum liqueur is excellent and we grab that at the airport when flying home or at the store when on a cruise.

We do look forward to some destinations that offer something more unique than that though, like Lencan pottery from Honduras (Roatan) or the rosewood items and unique artwork from Yalapa.

I'll add a plug for a few more only-in-Cayman items:

Logwood is a type of native wood with a dense, deeply coloured core. It can be crafted into some visually striking objects. Each tree is unique and the variety of available products can vary. Check out Cayman Logwood Products

Cayman cuisine is often flavoured with fiery Scotch Bonnet peppers (aka habañeros). Pepper Patch produces gourmet pepper jelly, a homemade treat only available in Cayman. It is sold through various gift shops and grocers.

If you are touring the eastern districts you will find Beach Bubbles Cayman out in Bodden Town. They make handmade soaps in a variety of scents. Take home a few bars and let the tropical smells remind you of your cruise when you are back home and the snow is falling.

Caymanite is a colourful native stone* which is shaped into pendants and other jewelry by several local jewelers. You can find examples for sale in several shops in George Town.

*OK, maybe not strictly an only-in-Cayman thing as some deposits of Caymanite have also been found in Hungary. I think you'll only find Caymanite jewelry in Cayman though.

** DISCLAIMER: As per usual, I have no stake in any of these companies, financial or otherwise.

I really liked the Cayman Pepper Jelly and you can not find it in the states like the rum cakes which I can. I did buy a caymanite bracelet for my D.

Drew will I'm sure be able to tell you more but I bought a cute straw purse that was woven by a local woman with a reed that is found in Cayman. It was used to make rope. Maybe Drew can help me lol!

Edited by Deb922

• 4 weeks later...
I really liked the Cayman Pepper Jelly and you can not find it in the states like the rum cakes which I can. I did buy a caymanite bracelet for my D.

Drew will I'm sure be able to tell you more but I bought a cute straw purse that was woven by a local woman with a reed that is found in Cayman. It was used to make rope. Maybe Drew can help me lol!

A bit late responding but....

Indeed the Cayman Pepper Jelly is not sold outside of Cayman. The creator very much likes the idea of selling a product that you can only buy here. So sorry but you will just have to come back to Cayman to get some more! :D

Many of the handcrafted hats, bags, and other such items are actually made from the leaves of the Silver Thatch Palm, our national tree. Craftspeople dry the leaves and tear them into long thin slivers which are then woven into many different items.

Speaking of national tree reminded me of...

Here's one more "Only in Cayman" item to add to the list - (Well , two technically) - perfume. Specifically the fragrances Banana Orchid and Fifteen O Three* which were created by a young Caymanian. They are available in several of the perfume shops in George Town. These island-inspired scents will be a nice reminder throughout the year of your tropical cruise vacation.

* The banana orchid is the national flower of Cayman. The year 1503 is the year Columbus discovered the Cayman Islands.

** As per usual, I have no stake (financial or otherwise) in any of the "only in Cayman" products I've mentioned in this thread, nor in any store that sells them.

• 2 weeks later...

Logwood is a type of native wood with a dense, deeply coloured core. It can be crafted into some visually striking objects. Each tree is unique and the variety of available products can vary. Check out Cayman Logwood Products

Cayman cuisine is often flavoured with fiery Scotch Bonnet peppers (aka habañeros). Pepper Patch produces gourmet pepper jelly, a homemade treat only available in Cayman. It is sold through various gift shops and grocers.

If you are touring the eastern districts you will find Beach Bubbles Cayman out in Bodden Town. They make handmade soaps in a variety of scents. Take home a few bars and let the tropical smells remind you of your cruise when you are back home and the snow is falling.

Caymanite is a colourful native stone* which is shaped into pendants and other jewelry by several local jewelers. You can find examples for sale in several shops in George Town.

*OK, maybe not strictly an only-in-Cayman thing as some deposits of Caymanite have also been found in Hungary. I think you'll only find Caymanite jewelry in Cayman though.

** DISCLAIMER: As per usual, I have no stake in any of these companies, financial or otherwise.

Thanks for all this great info. Looking forward to visiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Great info!!!! Thanks for posting :)