Royal Caribbean - Honeymoon pickle !!!!!!!!!

RavaRiles

It is modern, beautiful and full of cutting-edge art. The Central Park area is quiet and lovely; perfect for after-dinner strolls and a nightcap. You can watch a giant screen film outside adjacent to the Boardwalk area and ride the carousel, etc. There is also a great musical, a comedy club and so much choice in dining.

Allure offers so much - I would not pass up a chance for it to be a honeymoon trip. Even for long-married folks like hubby and me, it was a very special trip that I know we will repeat.

No matter which ship you choose, congratulations!

Edited by Bookish Angel

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Freedom of the seas 12th January (eastern) and have a D2 balcony cabin booked.

Today I called into my travel agent and after a bit of a chat it seems that it may be possible for me to transfer ships and cruise on the Allure of the seas (also on the 12th) instead.

I have sailed Explorer before and done quite a bit of research on Freedom and am really looking forward ( if we don't change ) to sailing on her.

We have 4 days either side of our cruise in orlando to do theme parks and water parks so the logistics of getting to the port albeit quite a drive wouldn't be to much hassle as we won't be in a rush to make flights etc.

After our honeymoon my new wife and I will then be looking to get a mortgage and buy our own house so the wonderful world of cruising may not be possible for us for quite a while.

I am more happy with the eastern itinerary that Freedom provides but I think the allure would be a holiday in itself.

My fiancée thinks that we should switch whilst I am not so sure.

Either way I love Royal and I know we will have a wonderful time regardless.

What would you do ??????

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Ian

if price is the same, there is doubt I would chose the allure. everything is done on a grander scale with the aqua theater and 2 flow riders . the rising tide bar. makes the allure the ship better for younger active couples . if that is you change to the best ship in the fleet in my opinion . it is Disney world on water . freedom is great and yes the cd is probably the best . either choice will not be bad but you owe it to yourselves to do the best . good luck and happy cruising

Thank you again everyone for all your kind words and input.

Much appreciated,

I will have a look at the shore excursions offered on the western as well.

What are the best beaches to go to on the western itinerary ???

Cheers Ian

Also just a thought on the allure would I now find it difficult to get specialty restaurant reservations given that the cruise is not that far away ???

Forgetting about both ships for a moment, the ease of getting to the Freedom from Orlando FAR outweighs the almost 4 hour trip south to Ft. Lauderdale! And if you are going to be spending time at the parks before or after the cruise, why add the stress of more travel time? We have been on both ships multiple times, and yes - the Allure is tops, but Freedom is definitely a close second. And it has the eastern itinerary that week. You truly won't be unhappy on the Freedom.

Rule 1...... Always do what your wife tells you, it'll make for a long and happy marriage ! That being said, we have been on FOS 4 times with only 1 Eastern cruise, and we missed Coco Cay due to rough seas . Made for a long cruise, with only 2 stops. Even tho Freedom is only one class smaller, the Allure is the most amazing ship we have sailed on ! Even with the propulsion problem, you will be blown away by this ship. I'm voting on Allure !

Another vote for Allure because of the "if she wants to do it" rule and also the ship. It's truly amazing, both of you will be blown away! The ports are easy--Labadee is RCI's private beach, and it's free, lovely and fun; while Falmouth, as you've discovered, is not a crowd favorite, the Dunn's Falls excursion IS a crowd favorite and a blast; and Cozumel offers so many fabulous choices, including some of the best snorkeling you can find anywhere. I think you wondered about the availability of specialty restaurants? No worries, you will be able to make those bookings in advance and even on board. If you want to try several, they will offer some attractive discounted bundles.

Before you make a final decision, I'd investigate what kind of change fee and fare difference you'd be looking at to fly into FLL. The 3+ hour drive from MCO isn't bad, but do factor in the cost of the rental car (you shouldn't face a one-way drop fee from MCO-FLL, but you never know) and gas.

With all of that said, if you decide to stick with the Freedom, you simply cannot go wrong! Freedom was one of our favorite cruises (out of 30+) not only because of what the ship offers, but also because of the staff and crew--you only have to read a few reviews to see nearly everyone has had the same experience, those folks are so happy and customer-service oriented, and the pax catch that positive vibe. Plus, I agree, Richard Spacey is a phenomenal CD!

Whatever you choose, have a great honeymoon, and best wishes on your marriage! :)

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Freedom of the seas 12th January (eastern) and have a D2 balcony cabin booked.

Today I called into my travel agent and after a bit of a chat it seems that it may be possible for me to transfer ships and cruise on the Allure of the seas (also on the 12th) instead.

I have sailed Explorer before and done quite a bit of research on Freedom and am really looking forward ( if we don't change ) to sailing on her.

We have 4 days either side of our cruise in orlando to do theme parks and water parks so the logistics of getting to the port albeit quite a drive wouldn't be to much hassle as we won't be in a rush to make flights etc.

After our honeymoon my new wife and I will then be looking to get a mortgage and buy our own house so the wonderful world of cruising may not be possible for us for quite a while.

I am more happy with the eastern itinerary that Freedom provides but I think the allure would be a holiday in itself.

What would you do ??????

Kind regards

Ian

If you are more interested in the ports, stick with freedom, if you love sea days (as my hubby and I do) go with Allure. Allure has more dining options and we never stepped foot in the windjammer . Love both, it just depends on what you want. I live in Miami and the drive to Orlando is about 3.5 hours. So you are probably adding 2 hours to your commute each way

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi everyone,

What would you do ??????

Kind regards

Ian

Definitely ALLURE !

If you are more interested in the ports, stick with freedom, if you love sea days (as my hubby and I do) go with Allure. Allure has more dining options and we never stepped foot in the windjammer . Love both, it just depends on what you want. I live in Miami and the drive to Orlando is about 3.5 hours. So you are probably adding 2 hours to your commute each way

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This ^^^^

If you're looking for ports, stick with Freedom and save the drive.

If you're looking at the ship as your destination, then look at Allure, but do consider the time on the road!

Personally, much though I loved Oasis, I'd probably stick with Freedom for the shorter drive, better (IMHO) ports, and general ease.

Hi, yes i am a big liverpool fan actually going to miss the first merseyside derby next week as I am on my stag party ( bachelor party I believe you call it ) in Munich next weekend glad you enjoyed liverpool.

Kind regards Ian

Your stag party is beong held in Munich ! This sounds like it could be dangerous, I hope you make it back for the wedding or all this ..what ship should I go is for nothing. Good luck and make sure you do a review ...of the Stag party !!!!:):eek::cool:

If part of your holiday involves the Orlando theme parks I would suggest Freedom. I have sailed Freedom and Allure. Both are great ships. However, Freedom is much closer to Orlando that Allure/Fort Lauderdale. What would you rather do, spend time in the Orlando theme parks, or spend it traveling in a car?

If part of your holiday involves the Orlando theme parks I would suggest Freedom. I have sailed Freedom and Allure. Both are great ships. However, Freedom is much closer to Orlando that Allure/Fort Lauderdale. What would you rather do, spend time in the Orlando theme parks, or spend it traveling in a car?

To be honest it wouldn't really affect one of our days as it would be travelling to a port regardless just would mean getting up much earlier for Fort Lauderdale.

Definitely leaning towards the allure have watched a few clips on the ship and it is unlike anything I have ever seen

Don't forget that the Allure is having propulsion issues currently resulting in a 1 hour earlier departure from Nassau and a 1 hour delayed arrival in St Thomas (and reportedly a 2 hour earlier departure from St Thomas - which if true makes excursions to St Johns unlikely). the Allure is canceled for shipyard repair for week of 24 February 2014. Ken

I was just going to mention this! It is something to take into consideration.

It is also a solid 3.5 hour drive, we used to do it when our children were young. We would spend a week at Disney, then drive to grandparents for a week / or visa versa. Would you have to rent a car back & forth?

Edited by cruizefam

DECISION MADE -

Having taken all things into consideration and been given a price to transfer from freedom to allure (£231.72p) we have decided to stay on freedom. My girlfriend doesn't want to be driving all them hours from orlando to Fort Lauderdale and vice versa. (That drive wouldn't have bothered me !!)

It just seems easier as our shuttles have already been booked and everything is in place. Not to mention my girlfriend reminding me that there is no airport beach on the Western which she knows I love !!!!

Hopefully one day we will get to sail on an oasis class ship.

Thank you everyone again for your input.

As I have previously said whatever we chose was a no lose. We are very lucky to be going on a RCI cruise regardless of the ship.

Have a great day

Kind regards

Ian

Have done both Freedom and Allure and I'd stick with Freedom. While your price may be the same, do you really want to rent a car, drive 3-4 hours each way, risk delays? It's your honeymoon....relax, stick to your plan. Freedom is a fantastic ship. Cruise director Richard Spacey and Activities Manager Katie Turner are the funniest pair in the whole fleet.

I'll have to second this sentiment about Richard and Katie. What a pair!!! Richard is by far the best cruise director we have ever had.

But . . .

We just did a cruise on the Allure October 27 and then drove up to Canaveral to set sail on the Freedom the day we disembarked. The comparison of the ships is, therefore, very fresh in my mind.

1. I absolutely LOVE Oasis and Allure. Yes, you have to do some planning and scheduling ahead of time, but that helps pass the time until your big day and your cruise. Then when you board the ship, all the work is done.

2. We found Allure to be easier to navigate.

3. When we were on the Oasis a couple of years ago, we spent time at Disney first. We left early in the morning on embarkation day and had a nice drive to the ship.

4. There was a BIG DIFFERENCE in self-disembarkation experience (took just minutes on Allure) and parking experience (Park 'N' Go in Fort Lauderdale much better and cheaper than Park 'N' Cruise in Canaveral).

I agree with the poster who said you can experience a Freedom class ship from your country but if you want the Allure/Oasis, you must go to Fort Lauderdale. Except for Richard Spacey, we enjoyed our experience on the Allure better. But Freedom was wonderful as well. You can't go wrong with either.

Happy sails, and congratulations on the wedding.:)

Kathy

The wedding itself is actually all sorted ( not by me ) !!!

I am in charge of the honeymoon at least my wife to be let's me think is am !!

I really am stumped !!.

Incidentally out of interest how long would the drive from orlando ( international drive) to Fort Lauderdale be ???

The drive from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale is about 4 - 4 1/2 hours, with no traffic.

Wonderful news, Ian! Don't ever look back. Freedom is a perfect choice for celebrating your honeymoon! And it's great to hear how you two worked through all the factors and reached your decision together. Here's to your long and happy marriage!

Hi everyone,

What would you do ??????

Kind regards

Ian

Did someone really say "honeymoon pickle"?

Your comments about the Windjammer reminded me of something I did not like about Freedom. Others have said the Windjammer on Allure is too small for so many passengers; however, we found it better laid out than Freedom's and very user-friendly.

Also, on FOS, the staff had to pour and hand you your coffee. I always have to water mine down and appreciated being able to serve myself on Allure.

Very miniscule criticism of FOS.:D

Kathy

Edited by petesweet