Snorkeling question

superduper123

I have never been snorkeling, so I'm not sure about the level of swimming ability needed. A "non-swimmer" friend of mine is taking swim lessons in preparation for her upcoming family cruise. What are the minimum basic skills she will need to learn in order to enjoy this excursion? Also, are life jackets typically provided?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have never been snorkeling, so I'm not sure about the level of swimming ability needed. A "non-swimmer" friend of mine is taking swim lessons in preparation for her upcoming family cruise. What are the minimum basic skills she will need to learn in order to enjoy this excursion? Also, are life jackets typically provided?

Hello! Yes, life jackets are provided, however, on the handful or snorkeling excursions I have been on my opinion is that while you don't have to be a "strong" swimmer, you will want to have a level of confidence/comfort in being in the ocean. The swells can move you around a lot, gently, but still you get swept around up and down, so you just want to be strong enough to be able to get yourself around, and confident enough in your ability to do so. I have witnessed people getting right back on the boat, even with life jackets. But again, having said that, that happens to very few. Most are fine! Have a great time!

Most snorkel companies require you wear a flotation vest.

If you're comfortable putting your face in the water, snorkeling isn't hard at all. Float, and look!

Of course, how comfortable a non-swimmer (or even a swimmer, for that matter) will be will depend on how rough or calm the water is! If it's rough, or has strong currents, it's much more difficult. If it's calm with no currents, it's a breeze!

Minimum basic skills - the ability to swim. If she can't swim, without fins and mask, then she shouldn't be in the ocean.

She doesn't need to be a great swimmer. It's a lot easier with fins on. But I wouldn't have fancied ocean snorkelling without first having proper lessons in a pool.

We snorkel every cruise & have taken many excursions that include snorkeling. We have never used a life jacket & we've only been on one Caribbean excursion that even had life jackets for us. (Hubby & I have been on 14 cruises combined). So, no, not every excursion will have life jackets. (Whether or not they are supposed to is another story :))

I do agree with the above post regarding her not being in the ocean if she is unable to swim with a mask & fins. The current of the ocean, depending on where you are & many times the side of the island you will be on, will determine if it's easy or rough for her. We've been in both situations and it's not very easy to snorkel in rough water unless you are a strong swimmer.

I think the swimming lessons are a great idea, but I also hope it's more than just swimming in a pool. Swimming in a pool & an ocean can be totally different experiences.

First, the crew will help you, and if you tell them it is your first time, they will keep an eye on you and probably be in the water right next to you.

You will have a life vest, so, you will be pretty safe.

If it is something that you want to do and do not have irrational fears, you will be fine.

I am 48 and due to MS I am in a wheelchair 95% of the time. So guess what, I cant walk or swim worth a crap BUT I have snorkeled on every cruise. Just about kills me LOL and I live on pain killers for the rest of the cruise but it is worth it!

Grab a life jacket, be sure it is on tightly and correct and go enjoy. They will be fine!

I'd recommend you (at the least) get a snorkle and fins and go try them in a pool.

My first experience snorkling was at Hanauma Bay on Oahu and I spent a lot of time learning. If I'd practiced in a pool first, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

You don't have to be a strong swimmer (although that always helps), but you do need to be comfortable in the water, with your face in the water and breathing through a snorkle. (Swim lessons are a good idea for anyone).

You definitely should wear a flotation device.

Edited by zone8grandma

I would have though that every boat - and most certainly those arranged by the ship - has life-jackets.

Some wear, some don't - they can make life less energetic if you want to just float on the surface, but would make it difficult or impossible to swim down for a close-up look at something.

Definitely wear a jacket first-time, even if you're a competent swimmer, cos some people have a mini-panic if dis-orientated, or if water gets in their mask - especially if they've drawn it in through the breathing tube because they've allowed the top to go under the surface.

BTW, whatever happened to the ping-pong-ball valves that you used to see on snorkel tubes? :confused:

Non-swimmers do go snorkelling (with lifejacket of course) & on the trips we've taken the catamaran crew have been vigilant & safety-conscious, and keep a close eye on the more-vulnerable.

Not sure I'd recommend it for complete non-swimmers, though.

JB :)

some excursions have a warning that you must be able to swim but doesn't say a level of swimming

I'm not that confident in the water and wear a life vest - blown up of course and the confidence it gives me is amazing however I really would recommend if your friend chooses to do it, you stay with them or if there are guides, stay with them

they have been mixed but a couple of excursions have asked for those that are not confident and asked them to stay with the guide

It's been MANY years since we have been on a snorkel excursion through any cruise line where lifejackets were not required to be worn. They don't have to be blown up but they must be worn. Seems it's a rule.

If your friend doesn't feel totally comfortable doing two new things at once -- swimming in the ocean which is very different from a pool and snorkeling -- she might enjoy just swimming around with a swim mask & lifejacket the first time she gives it a try.

On snorkel excursions you don't have to actually snorkel and can just swim around if you wish.

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

My wonderful wife can't swim.

To snorkel, we purchased an inflatable life vest (bright yellow for visibility) and she wears it every time she's in the water. When deflated, it is flat and fits nicely in the bottom of her luggage. When inflated, it keeps her afloat and can enjoy snorkeling.

When the ocean is rough, we have a "leash" connected to each other to prevent her from floating away. We always bring our own snorkel equipment but leave the fins at home. (It may be a lot of fun to have someone capture your first snorkeling adventure with an underwater camera.) Have fun and happy sailing. :)

I'm a very poor swimmer. My caution to your friend is how one enters the water -- is there a ladder? Or do you enter the water backwards over the side of the boat? :eek: That nearly did me in, and ruined THAT excursion for me ;) Actually freaked me out so much that I will only consider "from the beach" snorkelling now.

Every snorkeling excursion I've been on (Hawaii, Tahiti, Caribbean) required lift jackets, but it was optional to inflate them. I think that part of the reason is so that the crew can easily see the passengers in the water. One thing that I would recommend is bringing your own snorkel and mask -- I had a hard time with borrowed equipment, but with my own from a dive shop I did a lot better. If you have small or large feet, I would also try to bring fins. I needed a 4/5 in men's sizes, and often this size wasn't available, so I was stuck in fins that felt like they were coming off.

My wonderful wife can't swim.

To snorkel, we purchased an inflatable life vest (bright yellow for visibility) and she wears it every time she's in the water. When deflated, it is flat and fits nicely in the bottom of her luggage. When inflated, it keeps her afloat and can enjoy snorkeling.

When the ocean is rough, we have a "leash" connected to each other to prevent her from floating away. We always bring our own snorkel equipment but leave the fins at home. (It may be a lot of fun to have someone capture your first snorkeling adventure with an underwater camera.) Have fun and happy sailing. :)

Excellent suggestion!

LuLu

~~~~

Contact a local dive shop for a snorkel class in a pool. We took one--$20 for two hours per person. We were able to practice with the gear we had bought for our cruise. You learn important skills: surface dive, clearing the water from the snorkel, clearing mask of water, wearing snorkel vest, etc. Highly recommend a class.

I was always fearful of being out in deep water without a vest. Then on one trip they gave us noodles and I was so intent on getting all my gear together and getting in the water that I forgot the noodle. I had been floating along for about 20 minuts before I relized that I didn't have a noodle. Now I am no longer afraid. I know how easy it is to float in salt water. I still wear a vest though if it is rough or if there are strong currents.

A lot of good advice on this thread, which I can relate to, not being a very confident swimmer myself. The fins they'll provide greatly amplify anyone's power as a swimmer, and come in all sizes, unless you have Shaq-size feet.

A vest is a good idea in any case, if only for visibility and sunburn protection. Those too will always be provided.

I'd advise finding a mask that fits you well at your local sporting goods store and bringing it with you from home. (That one's particularly important for me, because I have a Jaques-Cousteau-style hawk nose, so not just any mask will seal right on my face!)

Last but not least, buy a dry snorkel, which instantly closes watertight (via that little "Ping-Pong ball" mechanism an earlier poster mentioned) should a wave wash over the intake at the end. This way you never have to worry about accidentally inhaling sea water and having a coughing fit.

If a timid "water weenie" like me can come to enjoy snorkeling the way I have, then there's surely hope for others in the same boat!:)

Edited by jeph

..........The fins they'll provide greatly amplify anyone's power as a swimmer ...........

First-time-round the fins gave me a load of grief. Feet getting tangled-up. More difficult to return to the vertical. And either putting them on/taking them off in the water (what you're supposed to do) or climbing the ladder effectively in clown's shoes.

So I abandoned them.

No need to wear them - if you just want to float on the surface like a dead fish :D

Or is it just me? :o

JB :)

We snorkel every cruise & have taken many excursions that include snorkeling. We have never used a life jacket & we've only been on one Caribbean excursion that even had life jackets for us. (Hubby & I have been on 14 cruises combined). So, no, not every excursion will have life jackets. (Whether or not they are supposed to is another story :))

I need to emphasize that we never take ship excursions. We always take private, much cheaper excursions.

Maybe that's why they are much cheaper. Usually the reason I've been given for the life vests is that they are required for liability insurance. I honestly have never asked private operators for proof of insurance, but that seems like a reasonable question to ask about.