How does RCCL do security checks on checked luggage?

AandBmom

On Carnival they only have the time and capacity to randomly scan checked luggage.

I've heard from other people that they put alcohol in all of their 4 suitcases and will typically have 1 noticed and the other 3 get through. This is due to the random scanning.

If they find contraband and it's in an unopened container, you get a polite note saying that they had to take it for safety reasons and you will get it back on the last morning of the cruise. If it is not in it's original container they toss it.

How does RCCL do it?

About the same....if they suspect you have contraband in your luggage, you'll be called to the "naughty" room to open your bags, so they can take a look. If they find something, they will hold it until the last evening. Like CCL, if it's not in the original container, it's thrown away.

They don't catch everyone/everything....

I must not be very lucky, on our first (and only cruise to date) we packed the allowed 2 bottles of wine in our suitcases, and sure enough, at 9 p.m. noticed we were missing a suitcase in our cabin. Sure enough we had to report to the security room (naughty room?) and claim our suitcase. They did not make us open the case but asked us a couple of times if we were sure that we only had the allowed amount of wine and was that all we had?

very randomly at best. Serenade Nov 3th went on with 2 bottles of wine in both checked bags plus 2 8oz rum runners of Bookers bourbon in my cargo pants pockets. no problems. at every port I would bring at least one rum runner back on with me. Had plenty of Bookers so it was generally wine we didn't finish. Their main concern when getting back on the ship was telling me to put my camera in the tray to which I would point out I did it was only the empty case on my belt. they would also, as punishment, ask me to remove my sun glasses. I saw guys with so many run runners stuffed in their pants they could hardly walk sail right through 'security'.

Good to know. Again, I have bad luck then cause I was checked each time I got on the ship at each port. Guess I have a guilty look about me and my suitcase by association:eek:. Again, thanks for the information.

Back on the Liberty in 2011 they held one of our bags I think it was cause we had two bottles of water in there and our mouthwash so they assumed it was liquor so we had to go pick it up.. After that we learned not to put water in there :rolleyes:

Maybe a dumb question, but when you are taking your alloted 2 bottles of wine, should you be carrying it on so they don't hold your luggage, oh that won't work because you need to go through customs and can't have liquids of that size. I guess my suitcase will always end by confiscated and I'll have to go find it.:(

Maybe a dumb question, but when you are taking your alloted 2 bottles of wine, should you be carrying it on so they don't hold your luggage, oh that won't work because you need to go through customs and can't have liquids of that size. I guess my suitcase will always end by confiscated and I'll have to go find it.:(

You don't go through customs to get on the ship. You do have to go through a security checkpoint but there is no limitations on liquids at that checkpoint. I think you are confusing TSA requirements with ship requirements.

Carry on your wine and save yourself the hassle of going to the naughty room.

I always bring my 2 bottles of wine in my carry on for the ship. For one, I'm concerned if packed in checked luggage that they may get tossed around and broken. Port security screens your carryon and they will see the bottles. They took my carryon to another table to open and inspect. All was fine and it took only 2 minutes of time.

I think they just want to make sure it's the legal allotment of wine or champagne, and not bottles of liquor. If you are flying, you should wait until you get into town and visit a liquor store. I would hate to think what happens to bottles of wine if checked through the airline, and you would never get through airline security with bottles in carry on.

DH doesn't drink wine so my 2 bottles will last me the 7 days and I usually do like to get a couple of beers and/or tropical drinks throughout the week.

I have heard most rum runners don't cause problems. Best way, I've heard, is don't be greedy and maybe pack only 1 or 2 in each suitcase. Pack in ziploc bags to prevent leakage, just in case. Maybe also wrap in bubble wrap or paper bag then place in between clothes. I've heard this works best ;).