Has anyone had AmaWaterways book your airfare/flights?

jojocmcla

We're trying to decide whether to book our own flights or let AmaWaterways book them for us. We'll be flying into Prague and then, returning from Budapest.

We ended up using AMA to book our flights. We originally booked independently on Delta, until they ended their link to Swiss and cancelled our nonstop home from Zurich. My research showed the only nonstop combo we could get was on United. I asked our TA what AMA could do, and we got the same non-stop United flights for only a little more than the website rate (with free AMA transfers thrown in -- and we got frequent flyer credit). This was not only a slight saving, but it got AMA into the loop if there were any further changes in the flight schedule (which thankfully there were not).

I also needed Prague/Budapest seats. Wound up booking Delta on my own. We go nonstop from Jfk, which AMA also quoted but found a more comfortable connection time from Budapest than AMA offered.

We did not book Ama's hotel pkg. The hotel I booked in Prague is offering free transportation from airport if you stay four nights and we are staying a few extra nights in Budapest so transfers were not needed

we ended up booking our own flights,better times,connections,and price by using Kayak.

Also,do check the cruise air section here on CC to explain it all.Very complicated(bulk rates,etc.)

Best to always doublecheck and find whats best for YOU.PS.we prefer to pick our seats way ahead,know exact details,etc.Its easy to get your own cab,no waiting for bus to fill or late comers.After long flight its WORTH it to us to get to hotel,not WAIT,to save a little money.;)

Keep in mind that if you book flights with AMA - and you can request what you want without paying a deviation fee charged by most other lines - the travel insurance from AMA covers the whole package, which can be a significant savings.

and my TA said not available thru AMA.

Also, he(and on CC insurance site)its suggested to get you OWN travel insurance,not from same cruise company.For many reasons,like going bankrupt,etc.I always get mine thur TA and doublecheck on a few insurance sites.

Had a problem with this in past so to be on safe side get "cancel for any reason"on private insurance site.

Sure its fine most of time,but have had numerous problems so now avoid it by doing it ALL on own(with TA)back up.

If you read many of past posts,lots of people have also had numerous problems.

By the way, I LOVE AMA,and not saying anything against them.Just cruise air and insurance in general.;)

flying to Prague and returning from Budapest. I asked AMA for quotes, and they responded quickly with average fares and choices of airline/time. Not bad, but nothing special, either. We have some options wrt frequent flier miles, so we decided to book on our own. I ensured the flights I selected arrived/departed within the time windows AMA offered, and we have tentatively agreed to AMA's transfers to/from the airport.

My advice: if you travel often on your own, you can probably do better arranging your own flights. If not, you won't be ripped off by going with AMA's offerings.

good luck!

f

My advice: if you travel often on your own, you can probably do better arranging your own flights. If not, you won't be ripped off by going with AMA's offerings.

good luck!

Good advice and I agree.

As for travel insurance, the price is based on total cost of trip and age of traveler. It can be MUCH more expensive to purchase on your own.

I have an annual travel policy with Travel Guard since I travel a lot but when pricing for my mom and older travelers, the cost for her is about 70% less.