Hotel location question for Manhattan pier

Canadianweaselette

The LNF Marriott policy could work well for you. aa.com has the Algonquin on July 27 for $234.49 plus tax for a queen and the rack rate is $579.

138east, the OP is sailing in May, not July. There's still a LNF rate possibility, however, with the Algonquin at $358.62 on AA.com and the cancellable rate on Marriott.com being $379 (use the cancellable rate, not the lower advanced purchase rate, as the AA.com rate is cancellable and the terms have to match to get a successful claim). This would bring the price down to a still-reasonable-for-NY rate of $268.97.

The Algonquin is very well situated - just down the street from Times Square, and it's quite easy to get to the cruise terminal from there (can't speak of the taxi rate, as we had our car, but was an easy drive, and always taxis available in front of the hotel)

Edited by Twickenham

My bad Twickenham - I was looking at the Pearl. Sorry about that AZ Lady.

Anyway there are a bunch of Marriott properties in NYC to look at. aa.com often has good prices for the LNF. As I said, Hotwire for a 3*+ property in a central area with a high approval rating is also a good bet.

OP: Check out "Travelzoo". I just got my e-blast of this weeks "top 20 deals" and the Shoreham Hotel in NYC is offering rooms from now until March 30 for $139 and Apr 1 to Jun 30 for $149. It's a very nice hotel 4* rating and it's on 56th, near 5th Ave. I would recommend the hotel, the location and definitely....the price. Also, the location is not that far from the Manhattan cruise terminal and a cab would probably be $10 or so. IF you didn't have luggage to lug, it would certainly be a doable walk.

What is your exact date? What is your budget? How many people? How many rooms? How many beds? How many bags?

You have to look at the total price. Walking to a hotel near Penn Station might not be the best at the end of Feb. if it's cold, snowing or raining. If you can find a good deal in midtown, it would be worth paying for a cab to get there, particularly if the hotel is between Penn Station and the port.

We have a family of 6, 4 children ages 14, 8, 6, & 3.

We arrive at Penn Station at 6:35pm on February 20th, the cruise departs the following day.

I am clueless about NYC, so I need all the help I can get- good point about slush though, we have always sailed out of FL ports, so no worries about snow. This is our 1st trip leaving from the NYC port, so I need all the help I can get.

I'd really like to spend less than $150 a night for a hotel, but I do see it is pricey

Finding a hotel room that accommodates 6 people is going to be difficult. Finding such a room for $150 is totally unrealistic. I found Best Western Hospitality for $400 +. Perhaps others know of more reasonable suggestions.

I'm guessing you are coming on the Vermonter. Have you considered stopping over in Stamford CT and taking MetroNorth into the city the next morning after rush hour?

I've found the Residence Inn on East 48th Street for $291 tax included prepay for 6 people. According to the Marriott site, they are almost sold out for your date.

The Doubletree Suites Times Square is $277 tax included prepay for your date. This would be an excellent location.

Edited by 138east

I've found the Residence Inn on East 48th Street for $291 tax included prepay for 6 people. According to the Marriott site, they are almost sold out for your date.

The Doubletree Suites Times Square is $277 tax included prepay for your date. This would be an excellent location.

The Doubletree Suites was just redone five years ago. We had my dd 21st birthday there. As said, the location is great. The Suite she had, had a living room with pullout couch and a bedroom with two doubles. You can definitely walk from Penn Station, we did. but of course if it is pouring rain, take a cab.:)

• 2 months later...
My daughter and I also used Yankee Trails Bus Service. We drove from Rochester, NY, to Albany the afternoon before our cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY, which was about one mile from the Yankee Trails Bus terminal. We grabbed a breakfast sandwich at McDonalds on the way by and were at the bus stop about 6:45 AM. We boarded the motorcoach and we in NY City about 11 AM. It was a great service and I would do it again in a minute rather that drive into the city and park at the pier. The cost was $80 a person round trip. Great deal.

What time the the bus pick you up when the cruise was over?

Laura

I see you are coming from Ontario, so I'll share what we did. Stayed at a Best Western in Albany and travelled to the port by Yankee Trails just outside of Albany. We left the car there for the week. They leave there about 7 am, arriving at the port about 11. It was much much cheaper and less stressful. Yankee Tours do this trip weekly. In fact, we slept out way into nyc. Just another option.Bonnie

My daughter and I also used Yankee Trails Bus Service. We drove from Rochester, NY, to Albany the afternoon before our cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY, which was about one mile from the Yankee Trails Bus terminal. We grabbed a breakfast sandwich at McDonalds on the way by and were at the bus stop about 6:45 AM. We boarded the motorcoach and we in NY City about 11 AM. It was a great service and I would do it again in a minute rather that drive into the city and park at the pier. The cost was $80 a person round trip. Great deal.

Thanks for this info. I had never heard of this option. Def beats driving in the city and paying $40/day to park at the pier, which I had considered.