Please explain beverage cards to me

zone8grandma

In advance, thank you for your patience.

We've booked our first HAL cruise. I'm looking at beverage cards and not seeing any reason to purchase them. Are they somehow more convenient than signing for a beverage? Is there some savings that is not obvious to me? Or is it simply a way to prepay?

TIA

Edited,

Sorry, a search answered my question. Apparently the only advantage is to simplify billing at the end of the trip...

Edited by zone8grandma

Sorry, a search answered my question. Apparently the only advantage is to simplify billing at the end of the trip...

Correct, or as you said, a way to pre-pay some costs. Originally they were sold at a 10% discount, which was reduced first to 5%, and then zero. I "buy" them with HAL/Barclay Visa points. Edited by jtl513

The soda beverage card is still at a 50% discount for fountain soda drinks.

The only advantage to the other beverage cards is the charges for individual drinks do not clutter up your folio, which on a long cruise can become considerable. They also work nicely as gifts for others who are cruising.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Yes, I noticed the discount on the soda beverage card. I enjoy tonic water; can I use the card to get that?

Yeah, I can see the advantage of simplicity. Since we usually have a pre-dinner drink and wine with dinner, the individual tabs could amount to a lot of paper. (I assume there is a paper receipt)

Yes, I noticed the discount on the soda beverage card. I enjoy tonic water; can I use the card to get that?

Yeah, I can see the advantage of simplicity. Since we usually have a pre-dinner drink and wine with dinner, the individual tabs could amount to a lot of paper. (I assume there is a paper receipt)

I wish I could answer your question about the tonic water, but I can't. Someone here probably will know, and you can always ask on board.

Yes, there is a paper folio printed at the end of the cruise and delivered to your cabin, usually the evening before disembarkation. You can also always go to the front desk and ask for a cabin bill anytime during the cruise. Every charge on your cabin card is itemized on it so it can get several pages long. The beverage card charges don't appear on it. They can be used by anyone also, so should be treated accordingly.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I enjoy tonic water; can I use the card to get that?

Yes, you can at any bar. They will give you limes for free, although I always add a $1 for them. I do not believe they stock diet tonic water. If that is your preference, you will want to bring it aboard.

Just back from our trip on the Oosterdam and used two $250 Beverage cards, why:

• Prepay, no nasty suprise at the end of the cruise
  • Don't have to 'sign' for drinks
  • There is an updated 'remaining amount' on each docket you receive, you have control
  • You don't have a long account at the end of the cruise
  • You do not have to reconcile all your receipts to your account

I am sure there are more reasons but these are why we do it and it is no hassle carrying two cards instead of one.

Even without a discount (there used to be one) I still buy them ahead of time. They are usually waiting in the cabin when we board. It just makes for a lot less paper and reconciliation of your onboard account - so the advantage really is convenience.

• 3 weeks later...
Agree

We love the idea of not having to worry about checking all those receipts at the end of the cruise.

Who wants to spend their last cruise day checking through a pile of receipts? Not me.

Oh, o.k. I was confused about the HAL beverage cards. Now I get it, you prepay HAL so you don't have to worry about them making a mistake and overcharging you on your final bill. Brilliant. No wonder those marketing people make those 6 digit salaries.

Is there a list anywhere of average drink prices? I'm trying to think if I should get a $100 or a $250 card for Alaska. Knowing that any unspent monies go back onto my account helps, but if I don't really need to spend an extra $150, that would be great. Now here's a question though... If I don't spend anything using my on board account (I'm with a group, and our stuff like tips is already included...and we'll be running races for most of our port days, so no excursions), does the money go onto the card I put down for the account? Or is it just lost?

Or can you buy an additional card on board? Like if I bought the $100 one and used it up (since it includes all types of drinks, that's why I could see me possibly using more than $100, but not sure about $250.)

HAL used to have a coffee card too. I have one from several years ago. Do they still have one? If so, what is the cost? benefits?:)

Thanks!

They don't have coffee cards anymore but you can use the general beverage card for coffee.

Any open points on you coffee card have become void. We had one which was still unused ($30 value) and were told that they were no longer accepted. We tried to get the exchanged as at the time we bought them it was stated that they would carry over to the next cruise, but that was refused. So that was $30 down the drain.

Oh, o.k. I was confused about the HAL beverage cards. Now I get it, you prepay HAL so you don't have to worry about them making a mistake and overcharging you on your final bill. Brilliant. No wonder those marketing people make those 6 digit salaries.

Ah -- but mistakes still happen.

When we got off the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 weeks ago, our bill was correct. When I checked my American Express bill on line -- it was different than the final bill we had gotten on the ship. Had to call HAL -- we were charged for 3 cans of coke from the refrigerator. We never drink coke -- so it was taken off our bill -- actually my Amex card was credited with the cost of them.

Is there a list anywhere of average drink prices? I'm trying to think if I should get a $100 or a $250 card for Alaska. Knowing that any unspent monies go back onto my account helps, but if I don't really need to spend an extra $150, that would be great. Now here's a question though... If I don't spend anything using my on board account (I'm with a group, and our stuff like tips is already included...and we'll be running races for most of our port days, so no excursions), does the money go onto the card I put down for the account? Or is it just lost?

Or can you buy an additional card on board? Like if I bought the $100 one and used it up (since it includes all types of drinks, that's why I could see me possibly using more than $100, but not sure about $250.)

This thread shows the cost of the drinks -- it has not changed very much since I posted these prices.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1528067&highlight=bar+menu