Guy needs dresscode advice from the ladies

dad son team

OK, so I have been on many cruises but only with my son so I am not too well versed on what women wear other than what I have seen on past cruises. When we sail next month on our NYE cruise I am bringing along my 17yo niece. This is her first cruise, and she asked about what to wear for formal/elegant night and I said that given it will probably be on NYE you can go all out. She wore a beautiful gown to her prom in June and was wondering if she could wear it for this and I said yes. Am I correct or is a floor length gown overkill for a cruise on the Paradise?

Of course when I look at our itinerary, we are in Cozumel until 8pm on the 31st so maybe formal night will be a different night anyway. If it is a different night, like the first sea day as usual, can she still go all out?

OK, so I have been on many cruises but only with my son so I am not too well versed on what women wear other than what I have seen on past cruises. When we sail next month on our NYE cruise I am bringing along my 17yo niece. This is her first cruise, and she asked about what to wear for formal/elegant night and I said that given it will probably be on NYE you can go all out. She wore a beautiful gown to her prom in June and was wondering if she could wear it for this and I said yes. Am I correct or is a floor length gown overkill for a cruise on the Paradise?

Of course when I look at our itinerary, we are in Cozumel until 8pm on the 31st so maybe formal night will be a different night anyway. If it is a different night, like the first sea day as usual, can she still go all out?

A long formal gown will by great for NYE. Many young women wear cocktail dresses, but some will have on long gowns.

I've read on other threads that when the ship is in Coz that late that dinner is done as open seating Your Time Dining in all the dining rooms. I do hope that they change formal night for you, on my Halloween cruise the 31st was formal night and we thought they would move it but they didn't so there were more costumes than formal wear that evening.

Your niece can wear whatever she likes although I'd expect floor length gowns to be worn by only a few people! I'd also think that it would be harder to pack a floor length gown than a shorter dress but if she can solve that issue then let her have fun wearing what ever makes her happy!!

DO make sure you have parental permission letter and medical release or permission to make medical choices for her!

I realize that it was 7 years ago when we last cruised, but our daughter wore her prom dress and looked beautiful. She didn't look overdressed. The cool thing is that it gives a beautiful prom dress another opportunity to be worn and she doesn't have to purchase another gown.

My mother always gave this advice: It's better to be overdressed than under dressed. She was (and still is) right.

I have this theory that says if you get two wearings out of a fancy gown, the price decreases by half. (i.e. $150 for gown worn once = $150 per wearing. $150 for gown worn twice means that you only paid $75 per wearing!)

If your niece is really concerned about being too fancy (which I don't think is an issue), she could always have the dress shortened by a seamstress. This is usually cheaper than buying a whole new gown.