Breakaway Guest Services Issues

emilysmimi

I am so frustrated with the treatment I received during my recent cruise from guest services. Now the treatment I am getting from customer services at the home office has totally burst my cruise bubble...

A brief summary: I booked our 11/10 cruise on 3/20/13. At that time they were not offering any "extras" with booking but I was told to keep an eye out for any promos and as long as the price hadn't changed, I would be eligible for them. On 4/10/13, NCL had a promotion that entitled you to Chocolate-covered strawberries, a bottle of wine and a dinner at La Cucina's. I called and the amenities were added to the reservation. None of these things were in our room upon arrival. On Monday, I went to guest services and was told they would put an inquiry into the home office. On Wednesday, I went to guest services to check the status and to change the credit card for our stateroom and was told that there was no inquiry in the system. I went through the whole story again with this new rep. and he also said that he put through an inquiry and also changed the credit card for the account. On Wednesday evening at 10:42pm, a message was left on our phone stating "You are not entitled to the amenities". I called down to guest services and spoke to yet another person who told me that the home office had said we weren't eligible but she would have them check the booking history and get back to me. I must say that during this conversation I was made to feel as if I was lying and just trying to get something for free... On Thursday morning, I received a curt letter saying that we weren't eligible... At this point, I decided that I was ruining my cruise trying to deal with these people and I would just deal with it when I got home.

I have an inquiry into the matter, but the customer service person I spoke to said that she can see that the promo had been added to the booking and then for some mysterious reason on 5/15/13 the promo was deleted...

The icing on the cake was today when our charges for the cruise were put through on the first credit card we had posted to the account causing a bounce fee on my husband's account. I called customer services again and was told that they had to "investigate" the issue with Breakaway guest services which will take 3-5 days...once again, making me feel as I was a liar and they have to check my story.

I'm sorry that this didn't end up being brief at all. :o I had a great cruise but I am thinking of getting a refund on the future cruise credit that I bought on the cruise because of the way I have been treated by them...:(

I am so frustrated with the treatment I received during my recent cruise from guest services. Now the treatment I am getting from customer services at the home office has totally burst my cruise bubble...

A brief summary: I booked our 11/10 cruise on 3/20/13. At that time they were not offering any "extras" with booking but I was told to keep an eye out for any promos and as long as the price hadn't changed, I would be eligible for them. On 4/10/13, NCL had a promotion that entitled you to Chocolate-covered strawberries, a bottle of wine and a dinner at La Cucina's. I called and the amenities were added to the reservation. None of these things were in our room upon arrival. On Monday, I went to guest services and was told they would put an inquiry into the home office. On Wednesday, I went to guest services to check the status and to change the credit card for our stateroom and was told that there was no inquiry in the system. I went through the whole story again with this new rep. and he also said that he put through an inquiry and also changed the credit card for the account. On Wednesday evening at 10:42pm, a message was left on our phone stating "You are not entitled to the amenities". I called down to guest services and spoke to yet another person who told me that the home office had said we weren't eligible but she would have them check the booking history and get back to me. I must say that during this conversation I was made to feel as if I was lying and just trying to get something for free... On Thursday morning, I received a curt letter saying that we weren't eligible... At this point, I decided that I was ruining my cruise trying to deal with these people and I would just deal with it when I got home.

I have an inquiry into the matter, but the customer service person I spoke to said that she can see that the promo had been added to the booking and then for some mysterious reason on 5/15/13 the promo was deleted...

The icing on the cake was today when our charges for the cruise were put through on the first credit card we had posted to the account causing a bounce fee on my husband's account. I called customer services again and was told that they had to "investigate" the issue with Breakaway guest services which will take 3-5 days...once again, making me feel as I was a liar and they have to check my story.

I'm sorry that this didn't end up being brief at all. :o I had a great cruise but I am thinking of getting a refund on the future cruise credit that I bought on the cruise because of the way I have been treated by them...:(

Sorry that you had problems. Hopefully you will able to work things out soon.

Sorry that you had to go through this. It sounds like the bigger issue is with the change of CC info. The value on the other items is only about $50 - definitely not worth fretting over and ruining your vacation IMO.

I'm supposed to get chocolates every night but noticed that they never do this unless I say anything and its just not worth my time.

Your cruise amenities list before your cruise should have listed all you were entitled to. If you gave that to the front desk on the ship, I don't see how it could be an issue? And I guess I really don't understand the credit card issue. You gave NCL a credit card to use and they charged it and that caused a problem???

Your cruise amenities list before your cruise should have listed all you were entitled to. If you gave that to the front desk on the ship, I don't see how it could be an issue? And I guess I really don't understand the credit card issue. You gave NCL a credit card to use and they charged it and that caused a problem???

I think they had originally given NCL one credit card and then changed it, but NCL charged the first anyway.

She stated that she went down to GS to *change* credit cards, meaning she asked to have the one given at the pier replaced with the one she was supplying them on board~

Your cruise amenities list before your cruise should have listed all you were entitled to. If you gave that to the front desk on the ship, I don't see how it could be an issue??

True. I printed mine and the OBC is even indicated on the reservation itself. I would advise people to print every confirmation, every receipt and bring it on board in case a mix-up happens. For any transaction over the phone, they send you an email with the receipt, so it should be easy to do.

Edited by opalinem

The problem is people DO lie ALL the time, trying to get something for nothing. So the cruiselines, do need proof. This could have been much easier- IF this OP had brought with them the documents indicating they were getting these extra perks. They would have made a big mistake, if this was done over the phone only. There should have been an email confirmation. Second- there also would have been paper, with the change in the credit card, did they get this for verification?

Having all these documents is necessary.

Just to clarify a couple of things. I did receive a updated invoice with the promo added, according to the the home office customer service, a lovely woman who treated me with respect and understanding, that code was changed on 5/15. She is investigating why it was changed. As this was my first NCL cruise, I didn't realize that I could look this up on my reservation. Live and learn...

As far as the credit card change, I do have the receipt and the name of the GS staff that made the change. This apparently is not enough proof for the man in customer service today. He insists that he has to still check with the staff at GS...

As I said, I really enjoyed the cruise. But, after five interactions with GS and two with CS and only having one person really attempt to help, I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about NCL's customer relations department.

We had a similar experience on the Breakaway last week. My husband booked our two rooms and my mother's as well and knew we were getting bathrobes, strawberries, and a small OBC because he's a travel agent and could see the amenities in the group he was booking us into. He checked 2 weeks before we went and all was good to go.

We get on the ship and nothing shows up. He goes to guest services at least 3x, talks to multiple people who all tell him to speak with his "travel agent", which he promptly tells them he IS the TA! We only get the bathrobes (I think only because he's a TA - prob a regular Joe wouldn't have gotten anything) and now he's worried that many of his customers aren't getting the amenities they're entitled to. He's back at work tomorrow and will be calling NCL!!

Carnival Destiny 1998

Carnival Legend 2000

RC Voyager of the Seas 2003

Norwegian Dawn 2006

Crown Princess 2007

Norwegian Breakaway 11/10/13

We had a similar experience on the Breakaway last week. My husband booked our two rooms and my mother's as well and knew we were getting bathrobes, strawberries, and a small OBC because he's a travel agent and could see the amenities in the group he was booking us into. He checked 2 weeks before we went and all was good to go.

We get on the ship and nothing shows up. He goes to guest services at least 3x, talks to multiple people who all tell him to speak with his "travel agent", which he promptly tells them he IS the TA! We only get the bathrobes (I think only because he's a TA - prob a regular Joe wouldn't have gotten anything) and now he's worried that many of his customers aren't getting the amenities they're entitled to. He's back at work tomorrow and will be calling NCL!!

Carnival Destiny 1998

Carnival Legend 2000

RC Voyager of the Seas 2003

Norwegian Dawn 2006

Crown Princess 2007

Norwegian Breakaway 11/10/13

We asked our cabin attendant about the robes and got in about few hours on the first day. My parent had different attendant also got robes right away. I guess many people assume if the robes are not in the cabin they are not entitled . Just ask.

Just to clarify a couple of things. I did receive a updated invoice with the promo added, according to the the home office customer service, a lovely woman who treated me with respect and understanding, that code was changed on 5/15. She is investigating why it was changed. As this was my first NCL cruise, I didn't realize that I could look this up on my reservation. Live and learn...

As far as the credit card change, I do have the receipt and the name of the GS staff that made the change. This apparently is not enough proof for the man in customer service today. He insists that he has to still check with the staff at GS...

As I said, I really enjoyed the cruise. But, after five interactions with GS and two with CS and only having one person really attempt to help, I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about NCL's customer relations department.

Did you call for a 2nd price drop on the date the amenities were deleted from your accout?

We asked our cabin attendant about the robes and got in about few hours on the first day. My parent had different attendant also got robes right away. I guess many people assume if the robes are not in the cabin they are not entitled . Just ask.

Robes are for balcony and up? Right?

As far as the credit card goes, did you call the credit card company to tell them those charges should not have been put through?

I would definitely follow that track and dispute the charges. It was NCL's mistake that cost you a fee. If you have the paperwork to prove the change the company erroneously charged should remove the charges...

We also had an issue on our first NCL cruise with Gem. We had bought the cruise through NCL office in Germany and we were offered OBC. The OBC never showed up during the cruise and Gem guest services had difficulties in contacting the NCL office in Germany. We also discussed it with the Finnish captain onboard Gem and he said that it's a well known issue that communication between the office and ships doesn't really work that well. After the cruise I complained to NCL Germany who first tried to offer me a certificate for the same amount for a future cruise, but when keeping complaining they agreed to transfer me the amount for the OBC.

Now I'm worried because I think we were promised a dinner a Cagney's for our Breakaway cruise and I can't see it on the cruise papers.