Marina to FP via round trip Tahiti

workstocruise

We just signed up for our first Oceania cruise and our first time in the South Pacific. We are using O's air and was hoping one of you kind posters could help me with a few questions.

We do not have our flight times as of today and I was wondering if we will have any time in Tahiti before the ship leaves the next morning at 5am.

We will be flying from Houston to Lax and from there to Tahiti. (I'm guessing about this).

Also are there any ports that we can do on our own or is that impossible?

We just signed up for our first Oceania cruise and our first time in the South Pacific. We are using O's air and was hoping one of you kind posters could help me with a few questions.

We do not have our flight times as of today and I was wondering if we will have any time in Tahiti before the ship leaves the next morning at 5am.

We will be flying from Houston to Lax and from there to Tahiti. (I'm guessing about this).

What date does your cruise leave? If we know that, I can direct you to the thread for your specific cruise. There you will see what others are doing in the various ports, whether tours or independent.

and we have always arrived very late at night. It is extremely hot and at night time, you can't really appreciate much. You didn't say what time your flight gets in.

As far as the Tahitian Islands you can do all of them on your own.

Hawaiidan usually posts and he has been to the other places. They are all small, but I would probably get a taxi or something to see some of them.

I am sure he will answer this soon.

I see no cruise leaving at 0500 ? Either 8 pm or 11 pm

Flights on Ait Tahiti NUI will arrive 0400 and 9 pm Some times there are 2 flights a day like on Fridays and Saturdays.

The best thing to do in Papetee is leave. or sleep. You will have 6 hours of time zones to deal with so get a cheap room and sleep till boarding. In april is will be low humidity 60-70% and about 74 degrees at midnight 86 degrees during the day. April is very dry and very good.

In this sector of the world except for Bora Bora ( the Tahitian version of Orlando) will be very sparse in terms of visitor services. Many only see 3 to 5 ships a year.... They are ok to take care of maybe 50 visitors from local hotels but the ships 1200 totally blow that out of the water. In Bora a Celeb monster with 3000 will also be there will be 4200+ in a place that can handle maybe 300 tops !!! Get the picture:eek:

Example Fakarava, Max capacity for excursions total... 48 people on 2 tours. That's 48 people total not 48 x2 You must have all your ducks in a row months prior. Must of us on the April 19 sailing have had our private tours filled since Feb.

Search the roll call, do research. Your only chance is Bora, Huhihine Lima, as the rest there will be no throngs of taxi and free lance offers... none. :(

My advice at this date is to take the ships tours if you can still get on,,, or be happy just to be there.:eek:

I guess we will need to book our excursions through Oceania as judging from the roll call it looks like the private excursions are already booked.

You are going to overpay big time

You can book with some of the SAME tour operators privately, even if you do not have a group. They form the group in FP.

Ask on the PG boards -- where all they talk about is that part of the world -- and then see if you can book at 1/4 of the price.

I have my notes on the private tours I took in FP.

I would be happy to share with you if you send me an email

You won't be able to book them all (two were with sought after individuals who I am sure are booked) but some might be open to you.

Edited by pacheco18

Hi workstocruise,

We are from Houston and are also on the April 5th cruise out of Papeete. We are flying Houston to LAX and then on the late night flight out of LAX to Papeete, arriving at 5A. We did the Oceania Air with Deviation as we plan to fly out on 4/1 and spend 3 pre-cruise days in Moorea and 1 post cruise day in Papeete. This will be our 1st time using the Oceania air and deviation. We usually book our own air independently but with so few flights into Papeete, we could not beat the O air. Good Luck with your plans!

Brenda

I guess we will need to book our excursions through Oceania as judging from the roll call it looks like the private excursions are already booked.

Save yourself alot of money by booking directly with the tour operators. Take the time to email them directly. Look at other posts for tips and recommendations. Here are a few of the more popular tours:

-BoraBora: raanuitours@live.fr family run, intimate, Arieta takes the bookings

-BoraBora: Maohi Nui Tours - patrick@maohinui Maeva is the secretary she will add you to a group

-BoraBora: Reef Discovery-Christophe very hands on for beginners, serious & informative, no picnic, great reviews

-BoraBora: Jets ski tours http://www.moanaadventuretours.com

-Nuku Hiva:claudepua@mail.pf

-Raiatea: L'excursion bleue Bruno FABRE tpt@mail.pf

-Moorea:ALBERT ATV FUN TOURS [mailto:info@albert-transport.net

*Agencey that can help with bookings:www.tahiti-and-vacation.com

We are sailing on the cruise before yours, good luck booking your excursions.

Hello Brenda-

Hopefully we'll connect once on the ship. I hope we're lucky enough to get the same flight time into Papeete that you have. We don't know our flight times as of today nor do we even know our cabin #. That's what happens when you book late.

Leslie

Workstocruise (but retired now);)