Tipping for room service??????

grantime

Do not elect to tip zero. They are doing you a service so tip something.

That's why I said technically speaking and then couched it by interjecting with my opinion and what I do.

The technical truth is that there is NO charge for room service and NO gratuity is charged. It is up to the guest to determine IF and HOW MUCH to tip.

It is a major disservice of this website to give people information based only on personal opinion and to leave out the facts. There are many new cruisers here and the most important thing is they understand the policies in place and then they may have an informed basis to make their decisions. Societal norms and cruiseline policies are not always one and the same; I am simply showing the truthful distinction between them.

...Actually, the tips for the room service delivery people (usually the off duty junior waitstaff) is not included in the gratuities. It is extra work besides their MDR duties, and should be tipped in addition to your regular tips.

...Also, regarding the $2 bills. Happen to mention it a couple of times while room service was making a delivery. It's true that they feel $2 bills are unlucky. They try to avoid them. We used to use them all the time until we found this out. Near the end of one of our cruises, I happen to catch the workers loading up the luggage late on the last evening of our cruise. I had a couple of $2 bills left, and thought it would be a nice gesture to give a little something to this one very hard working guy. As I handed it to him, he looked down at the cash and said "No, no thank you" and walked away. Luckily, I caught him a few minutes later in the hallway loading a new cart, and gave him 4 single dollar bills. He smiled and thanked me several times.

Alternative dining includes room service. It's in the $2 tip pool.

Wife & I order a lite breakfast and usually a sandwich later in the evening from room service for which we tip $5 each time. Small price to pay while on a cruise vacation which costs in the thousands of dollars. :)

Sheeze! To each his own. Tip if you want. Don't tip if you don't want too.

Personally, I choose to tip. I tip between 2 to 3 dollars. I order a peanut butter or grilled cheese sandwich late nights.

I hope those of you who may order room services multiple times and not tip have a strong immune system. :eek:

Edited by Anjanu

I always tip for room service. I do morning salmon/cream cheese/bagel/fruit/coffee EVERY MORNING. 2-3 bucks tip to save my under-caffeinated lovely self from having to traipse up to Lido is more than reasonable.

I stop caring about where my prepaid gratuities go and how they're split up about the time I hit the "book now/pay now" button on my computer. If someone is carrying a heavy tray to my room, I'm tipping. Spread the wealth, attract the wealth. :-)

I always tip for room service. I do morning salmon/cream cheese/bagel/fruit/coffee EVERY MORNING. 2-3 bucks tip to save my under-caffeinated lovely self from having to traipse up to Lido is more than reasonable.

I stop caring about where my prepaid gratuities go and how they're split up about the time I hit the "book now/pay now" button on my computer. If someone is carrying a heavy tray to my room, I'm tipping. Spread the wealth, attract the wealth. :-)

Never tried the salmon ,something about fish for breakfast :D

I think room service is the best deal on the entire ship. Yes, the menu is limited, yes it sometimes take awhile to get things delivered, but it's still a steal.

I can't tell you how many times I've stayed in hotels and spent $9 to $12 for a carafe of coffee from room service. Then they add the 18% gratuity and a delivery fee of around $5. So suddenly that pot of coffee is almost $20.

So I'm more than happy to tip at least $5 every time room service brings us coffee and whatever else we've ordered that morning. No better way to start a day than with coffee on the balcony!

John Heald has mentioned that tipping extra for room service should be done:

One last thing. If you do order room service on our ships, please remember to tip the server. A dollar or two is fine because seeing a server carry a huge tray of sandwiches and drinks to cabin 7237 and have him place it on the dresser ignoring the smell of farts and the sight of a hairy arse disappearing into the bathroom is bad enough. To have the door slammed in their face with bugger all tip is far, far worse. Thanks, then, for looking after our room service waiters, it is much appreciated.

John Heald has mentioned that tipping extra for room service should be done:

One last thing. If you do order room service on our ships, please remember to tip the server. A dollar or two is fine because seeing a server carry a huge tray of sandwiches and drinks to cabin 7237 and have him place it on the dresser ignoring the smell of farts and the sight of a hairy arse disappearing into the bathroom is bad enough. To have the door slammed in their face with bugger all tip is far, far worse. Thanks, then, for looking after our room service waiters, it is much appreciated.

Interesting first post.

We always tip 2$ when ever we use room service. I usually get a bunch of 2$ bills from the bank before we leave. It is considered good luck by many of the workers on the ships in that part of the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We tip from $2-$5 depending on how big the order is.

Have never heard that $2 bills are considered good luck. But I have heard that many workers have difficulty having them accepted when they wish to send money home................not sure which is true.

How long have you been lurking? And of all the threads why is this the one that made you finally post? lol

Been around about a year and a half. Really enjoy most of the banter.

Now, I don't want to start a whole tipping "grab the popcorn and hang on" discussion, but I guess watching my FIL order room service several times during a family cruise and not tip got to me. There are plenty of references around indicating room service is above the auto tip amounts. In fact, we told our YA children, w/FIL standing right there, that room service tipping was expected. So he didn't have any excuse.

At any rate, I've posted now. Maybe will be more inclined to join in from time to time now!

Been around about a year and a half. Really enjoy most of the banter.

Now, I don't want to start a whole tipping "grab the popcorn and hang on" discussion, but I guess watching my FIL order room service several times during a family cruise and not tip got to me. There are plenty of references around indicating room service is above the auto tip amounts. In fact, we told our YA children, w/FIL standing right there, that room service tipping was expected. So he didn't have any excuse.

At any rate, I've posted now. Maybe will be more inclined to join in from time to time now!

Thanks for sharing that amusing story. Feel free to join in on the posting festivities!

Do not elect to tip zero. They are doing you a service so tip something.

They (dining staff and stewards which includes those who bring you room service) also do not receive a paycheck..their income is bases solely on tips. I learned this on the ship's tour from the human resources director. I ALWAYS make sure I tip generously on top of the standard daily gratuiity that winds up on my sail and sign account.

We always tip $2.00-3.00 dollars for room service. Just depends on what we would order. Those trays can be heavy.

I'm so ready for some room service....only 11 more days until I get to try a chicken fajita

Hope you come back and write another amazing review. Have fun with your Dad.