Interline question...

kimanjo

Budget Queen, before 9-11 it was fairly easy to fly standby with Delta. we never had trouble. Post 9-11 Delta cut a lot of flights to save money. they started flying mostly full, and if not mostly full they would run a last minute sale. Hubby did not have 30 years seniority but he did have 10 and it became very hard. At Delta also,not all employees can see flight schedules and how booked they are-only IT employees could. Hubby could and he would check flights for friends who worked for Delta because they knew he could. He could check while they were waiting for the flight and tell them how far down the list they were and if they should make or if they should try another way. for example, once when a friend could not fly from Cincinnati to Atlanta, he saw they could get on a flight to Nashville. The Nashville to Atlanta was over booked but they could rent a car as it was a 4 hour drive then to get home, but he told them to check before renting a car. As it turned out the Nashville to Atlanta had "no shows" or else people decided to wait to when their whole group could fly together; so our friends were able to get on-although they could not sit together and sat between the aisle seat and a window seat on a very full plane.

The time we drove to Miami; we had intended to fly out on a Friday afternoon for a Saturday cruise. Thursday night still had plenty of seats, Friday morning only 1. The sale had started on Monday (before that it was over a third unsold) so hubby kept a check on it. Thank goodness! So instead we hightailed down to Miami, drove most of the night and then had just a few hours sleep at our hotel.

That was a thing Delta had started doing post -911 when they made all those cuts, and had also lost a contract on cheap fuel. They would run last minutes sales really cheap that rivaled air Tram's prices. They may have lost money on those PAX, but at least they got more than they would from an employee who paid nothing.

After that I never flew standby again. Hubby did when he could be flexible and we would not chance losing as much money as we paid for a cruise. Several times he flew to see Atlanta Braves games in other cities. He always made those, as he was usually on his own-so only 1 person to make the flight. A ball game ticket is not much to lose compared to cruise tickets.

Budget Queen, before 9-11 it was fairly easy to fly standby with Delta. we never had trouble. Post 9-11 Delta cut a lot of flights to save money. they started flying mostly full, and if not mostly full they would run a last minute sale. Hubby did not have 30 years seniority but he did have 10 and it became very hard. At Delta also,not all employees can see flight schedules and how booked they are-only IT employees could. Hubby could and he would check flights for friends who worked for Delta because they knew he could. He could check while they were waiting for the flight and tell them how far down the list they were and if they should make or if they should try another way. for example, once when a friend could not fly from Cincinnati to Atlanta, he saw they could get on a flight to Nashville. The Nashville to Atlanta was over booked but they could rent a car as it was a 4 hour drive then to get home, but he told them to check before renting a car. As it turned out the Nashville to Atlanta had "no shows" or else people decided to wait to when their whole group could fly together; so our friends were able to get on-although they could not sit together and sat between the aisle seat and a window seat on a very full plane.

The time we drove to Miami; we had intended to fly out on a Friday afternoon for a Saturday cruise. Thursday night still had plenty of seats, Friday morning only 1. The sale had started on Monday (before that it was over a third unsold) so hubby kept a check on it. Thank goodness! So instead we hightailed down to Miami, drove most of the night and then had just a few hours sleep at our hotel.

That was a thing Delta had started doing post -911 when they made all those cuts, and had also lost a contract on cheap fuel. They would run last minutes sales really cheap that rivaled air Tram's prices. They may have lost money on those PAX, but at least they got more than they would from an employee who paid nothing.

After that I never flew standby again. Hubby did when he could be flexible and we would not chance losing as much money as we paid for a cruise. Several times he flew to see Atlanta Braves games in other cities. He always made those, as he was usually on his own-so only 1 person to make the flight. A ball game ticket is not much to lose compared to cruise tickets.

Delta still doesn't have online listings for employees? And they manage this, still by phone? By your post, you state your husband has not been an airline employee for 7 years. I know the airline my husband worked for, continues to update and has had a lot of changes in the last 7 years. Everything is available online.

One other suggestion for non rev, is to take the first flights out. Slight chances of over sleepers. :) And may be more chances getting to your final destination.

It certainly can be more difficult making plans with stand by travel. But, I will continue using it, until it's discontinued. :)

Delta still doesn't have online listings for employees? And they manage this, still by phone? By your post, you state your husband has not been an airline employee for 7 years. I know the airline my husband worked for, continues to update and has had a lot of changes in the last 7 years. Everything is available online.

One other suggestion for non rev, is to take the first flights out. Slight chances of over sleepers. :) And may be more chances getting to your final destination.

It certainly can be more difficult making plans with stand by travel. But, I will continue using it, until it's discontinued. :)

Everything is online for Delta now via their intranet and all employees can access it for nonrev travel listings, standby lists, flight loads, etc. A lot of airports also have GIDS (gate info displays) that show standby/cleared pax lists so you can watch at the gate. Standby/cleared lists are also available on the Delta app once you check in/activate your listing. As mentioned earlier, these days dress codes have been relaxed and the way you are dressed has no bearing on being cleared into First/Business if seats are available. If you were deemed to be dressed inappropriately, you wouldn't clear the flight, period.

I guess we've been pretty lucky (knock on wood). Years of experience, decent enough seniority and multiple back-up plans have gone in our favor. As does traveling outside the typically heavy tourist seasons. For our 2 international cruises we flew into an alternate airport then took a 'local' carrier flight or train to the embarkation city, only because flight loads directly to the cruise city were too close for our comfort. Not a big deal. Of course, we always aim to arrive 2 or more days in advance just in case, which is good advice for any cruiser flying into a port, especially an int'l destination where your airline may only have one flight per day.

Sometimes we'll go ahead & buy a confirmed ticket for a domestic flight if it's cheap enough, say for a trip where we're going with others & sharing a rental car so we want to arrive close to the same time, just to avoid the hassle of standby travel. When we travel somewhere just for fun we book a hotel reservation that can be cancelled in case somewhere ends up being somewhere else. :)

Everything is online for Delta now via their intranet and all employees can access it for nonrev travel listings, standby lists, flight loads, etc. A lot of airports also have GIDS (gate info displays) that show standby/cleared pax lists so you can watch at the gate. Standby/cleared lists are also available on the Delta app once you check in/activate your listing. As mentioned earlier, these days dress codes have been relaxed and the way you are dressed has no bearing on being cleared into First/Business if seats are available. If you were deemed to be dressed inappropriately, you wouldn't clear the flight, period.

I guess we've been pretty lucky (knock on wood). Years of experience, decent enough seniority and multiple back-up plans have gone in our favor. As does traveling outside the typically heavy tourist seasons. For our 2 international cruises we flew into an alternate airport then took a 'local' carrier flight or train to the embarkation city, only because flight loads directly to the cruise city were too close for our comfort. Not a big deal. Of course, we always aim to arrive 2 or more days in advance just in case, which is good advice for any cruiser flying into a port, especially an int'l destination where your airline may only have one flight per day.

Sometimes we'll go ahead & buy a confirmed ticket for a domestic flight if it's cheap enough, say for a trip where we're going with others & sharing a rental car so we want to arrive close to the same time, just to avoid the hassle of standby travel. When we travel somewhere just for fun we book a hotel reservation that can be cancelled in case somewhere ends up being somewhere else. :)

this was in 2005

this was in 2005

Also, to see the lists after 9-11, you had to have special access clearance? I am not surprised it has changed. Airlines flying are dropping restrictions too. You no longer have to take your shoes off and come January flyers are allowed liquids more than 3 ounces.

Hubby could see actual names of people on the list. Both standby and ticket holders. That was restricted after 9-11.

Hubby was outsourced to IBM with a package deal. of course he did better than one of our friends whom Delta laid off but then hired him back as a contractor for the same exact job. He has been a "contractor" for 3 years now. That way they got around providing him with insurance benefits. He is a vet, so he is okay, but his wife, 50 something and self employed, lost her insurance, and they pay through the nose for her because of her age now. So be glad you are still an employee and not forced to be a contractor.

Hubby now works on other IBM accounts. Delta people said they were sad to see him leave their account but he was glad. He feels no loyalty toward them at all. He felt like he was shafted by them when, as he says they "sold" him to IBM. However, he is better off than his friend, so maybe they did him a favor,huh?

...Hubby could see actual names of people on the list. Both standby and ticket holders. That was restricted after 9-11.

That's also back, on the intranet you can see the nonrev standby list and the (revenue) upgrade list once people have checked in. But it's not full names, it would look like ABC/D (first 3 of last name, first initial) which is exactly what you would see on the screens at the gate or on the website/app lists, which are available for anyone to see. You can't see the entire revenue pax list, just those listed for a gate upgrade. Before check-in you can see the nonrev standby list (ABC/D), so you can get an idea of who else is listed, their seniority, active/retiree/buddy pass etc. code, so you can weigh your chances of getting on a particular flight...which I'm sure you recall, isn't necessarily an indicator of the true load until you're at the gate.

My husband endured some pain through the bankruptcy (before I knew him), and in a 24/7/365 operation you have some sacrifices (i.e. working holidays and competing w old timers for vacation time), but he loves his job playing with planes all day and can't imagine doing anything else. :)

Edited by PRWeezer

That's also back, on the intranet you can see the nonrev standby list and the (revenue) upgrade list once people have checked in. But it's not full names, it would look like ABC/D (first 3 of last name, first initial) which is exactly what you would see on the screens at the gate or on the website/app lists, which are available for anyone to see. You can't see the entire revenue pax list, just those listed for a gate upgrade. Before check-in you can see the nonrev standby list (ABC/D), so you can get an idea of who else is listed, their seniority, active/retiree/buddy pass etc. code, so you can weigh your chances of getting on a particular flight...which I'm sure you recall, isn't necessarily an indicator of the true load until you're at the gate.

My husband endured some pain through the bankruptcy (before I knew him), and in a 24/7/365 operation you have some sacrifices (i.e. working holidays and competing w old timers for vacation time), but he loves his job playing with planes all day and can't imagine doing anything else. :)

I'm curious about the mention of seniority....it was/is a factor in boarding priority at Delta?

Just asking, because at AA, it is not...

I'm curious about the mention of seniority....it was/is a factor in boarding priority at Delta?

Just asking, because at AA, it is not...

Yes, for typical nonrev travel on DL standys are prioritized by seniority. To be sure we're talking about the same thing, seniority in my comment = date of hire, not one's position in the company where one job might be considered more 'senior' in title...if that makes sense.

How does AA handle it?

I booked interline rate on my carnival cruise I am going on next week. Got a ridiculously good deal on a balcony. I was able to pick my cabin and I didnt have to wait last minute...

Carnival, has had some "give away" rates for this current off season. I have 3 coming up. No way, would I think my rate could be lower, on my Dream cruise in Jan. :) $200 pp for the first 2 then $30 for the third. :) Plus the taxes. :) I am a stockholder, which, unless recently changed, you could not use the benefit with interline rates? Same with Princess and HAL. I've been finding only a $50 difference on many cruises, that I am considering. So, getting the $100 stockholders benefit is a better deal for me.

The lowest rates are hindsight anyway. Take advantage of the fantastic non revinterline benefits. I'm certain, it's been worth at least $100,000 for my family.

I notice in your posts here that you freely mention the interline rates, the dollar amounts, that you might be eligible to pay ... I have understood from other threads that interline-eligible travelerss are absolutely not permitted to discuss their applicable rates ... or losing the benefit could be a consequence. You might want to review the interline rate guidelines so as not to jeopardize the benefit for yourself and everyone else.

I am NOT talking about Interline flying.... Talking about cruises... You can go to many online TA (obviously can't say the names), and click on pricing for Seniors, Teachers, Resident, Military, Past Guest on and on.... Interline pricing is NOT a secret, just like those other discounts are not a secret. You just have to qualify, as you have to for all the others.

Interline pricing for cruises is well advertised. I completely understand the rules of Interline flying.

Just wondered about past experiences of booking certain categories....

Edited by kimanjo

Yes, for typical nonrev travel on DL standys are prioritized by seniority. To be sure we're talking about the same thing, seniority in my comment = date of hire, not one's position in the company where one job might be considered more 'senior' in title...if that makes sense.

How does AA handle it?

(With apologies for taking the thread off-topic a bit)....

At AA, seniority has no bearing in boarding priority, it is first come, first served generally. Longevity does have other benefits in reduced or eliminated service charges for international or upgraded cabins....

We've always booked our cruises interline, and sometimes we have a choice and sometimes we don't. If there's cabins available, we have a choice. But we also trust our agent that she'll be honest with what is the best choice.

I am NOT talking about Interline flying.... Talking about cruises... You can go to many online TA (obviously can't say the names), and click on pricing for Seniors, Teachers, Resident, Military, Past Guest on and on.... Interline pricing is NOT a secret, just like those other discounts are not a secret. You just have to qualify, as you have to for all the others.

Interline pricing for cruises is well advertised. I completely understand the rules of Interline flying.

Just wondered about past experiences of booking certain categories....

Yes, I understood quite clearly that you were discussing interline for cruising and not for flying. Hence, my comment about discussing the actual cruise prices for interline passengers ... from comments I have seen on other threads, I had the impression that interline cruise prices are secret and not to be discussed freely ... apparently, they are not regarded the same as the other types of rates you mention.