Maho Beach - Sunset Bar

topcop

Well done! We will be in St. Maartin during the 1st week of Febuary. Not sure on which day we will be visiting the bar to drink and watch planes, but the DW will be topless. We are European, it is a European island and for "insert your diety here" sakes, they are only breasts - all mamals have them.

Let the flames begin,

S&M

No flames here. I'm pro boob. If they can get me a free drink, all the better. I've worked harder for less. (that sounds bad. It wasn't meant to sound bad)

I will also be in St. Maarten at that time. it can't come fast enough. The beach is calling.

We arrive on a Sat in March and want to do Orient beach for approx 4hrs from 10 am then head to sunset to watch the planes for awhile as its my understanding the larger planes arrive and depart after 2pm is this true on a Sat

Also how long time wise would it take from Orient to Sunset and the cost of taxi for 2 also how long from sunset back to cruise ships and cost of that

thanks

No flames here. I'm pro boob. If they can get me a free drink, all the better. I've worked harder for less. (that sounds bad. It wasn't meant to sound bad)

I will also be in St. Maarten at that time. it can't come fast enough. The beach is calling.

We are not sure on which day we will be visiting Sunset, since we will be playing it day-by-day while on the island. We have visited many times by way of a cruise. This is our first time spending the entire week - we are very much looking forward to it!

We will positively be at Orient Beach (at the far end, naturally) on Saturday, 02/01. That is our only plan at the moment.

Are you visiting by cruise ship or staying on the island?

Warmly,

S&M

We arrive on a Sat in March and want to do Orient beach for approx 4hrs from 10 am then head to sunset to watch the planes for awhile as its my understanding the larger planes arrive and depart after 2pm is this true on a Sat

Also how long time wise would it take from Orient to Sunset and the cost of taxi for 2 also how long from sunset back to cruise ships and cost of that

thanks

You need to on on flights stats website and put in Juliana airport (SXM) to get the flights for a Saturday. You have to do it on a Saturday before you leave for the cruise, because you cannot query a particular date. You will see the flights normally scheduled for a Saturday.

For instance, we were going to be there on a Tuesday, so I went to that site on a Tuesday and found out the KLM from Holland would be arriving and the time. That flight is a 747 and only comes in about twice a week.

You will see a lot of flights, but most are small puddle jumpers. You look on the list for American, JetBlue, Delta, KLM and their origination from the states or Europe. Those are the bigger jets and more interesting to watch.

You need to on on flights stats website and put in Juliana airport (SXM) to get the flights for a Saturday. You have to do it on a Saturday before you leave for the cruise, because you cannot query a particular date. You will see the flights normally scheduled for a Saturday.

For instance, we were going to be there on a Tuesday, so I went to that site on a Tuesday and found out the KLM from Holland would be arriving and the time. That flight is a 747 and only comes in about twice a week.

You will see a lot of flights, but most are small puddle jumpers. You look on the list for American, JetBlue, Delta, KLM and their origination from the states or Europe. Those are the bigger jets and more interesting to watch.

thanks topcop for the flight schedule any info on the taxi part of the question

Taxi part: Anything between 20 and 45 minutes. It depends a lot on the traffic coming back, if the draw-bridge is open or if the taxi takes the new bridge to go back to Philipsburg, etc. Gives yourself some time.

When you get to Sunset, the actual schedule will be written on a surf board:). Plane might and will be delayed. If you're lucky, someone in the bar will have scanner with aviation frequency. Take a seat, have a few beer and get something to eat to.

Have Fun.

dandee2

If you are at Orient for four hours beginning at 10:00, that takes us until 2:00. I would allow 45 minutes for the trip to Maho, getting there at 2:45.

When we were on the Valor last May, all aboard time was 4:30.

At a minimum, I would allow 90 minutes for the trip from Maho back to the Cruise Facility, so you would need to leave by 3:00.

While there are a few flights of 757 and larger aircraft arriving after 2:00, (and the Air France AirBus is often scheduled then, but arrives much earlier), I believe that prime arrival time is 11:30 - 1:30, but often includes a bit earlier and later.

Estimated Taxi rates for just two:

Cruise Facility to Orient, $18

Orient to Maho, $30

Maho to Cruise Facility, $20

Cheaper by the person in a group.

gary

If you are at Orient for four hours beginning at 10:00, that takes us until 2:00. I would allow 45 minutes for the trip to Maho, getting there at 2:45.

When we were on the Valor last May, all aboard time was 4:30.

At a minimum, I would allow 90 minutes for the trip from Maho back to the Cruise Facility, so you would need to leave by 3:00.

While there are a few flights of 757 and larger aircraft arriving after 2:00, (and the Air France AirBus is often scheduled then, but arrives much earlier), I believe that prime arrival time is 11:30 - 1:30, but often includes a bit earlier and later.

Estimated Taxi rates for just two:

Cruise Facility to Orient, $18

Orient to Maho, $30

Maho to Cruise Facility, $20

Cheaper by the person in a group.

gary

Gary thankyou for the info seems to me we would be wasting a lot of time in transportation we have heard that Mullett beach is nice also seeing that we have been to orient before would this be a more viable option really want to see the jets landing & taking off but we do love orient beach so do not want to be disapointed by Mullett

does Mullett have chair & umbrella rentals , is the water calm there or can it get to rough for swimming and is it easy to get taxi from Mullett to Maho

thanks again

You can walk from Maho to Mullet Beach. About 15 minute walk. Go on Google earth, it is easy to spot. Then when you back track, hop on one of the taxi that are waiting at the Sonesta. Food and drink available on the beach and also chairs and umbrella. Better beach for swimming than Maho. Sonesta have day room available. I have no idea how much it costs.

DSCN1422.jpg.d4c96c2639208814e08fdebba76154dd.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg.e77cf54e82afd2019d530b6fd32774fe.jpg

DSCN1417.jpg.cd810448a066eec9270febd2e4caf54b.jpg

DSCN1419.jpg.eb7701333b2fd42c0b6c3ba6b3deeea2.jpg

DSCN1425.jpg.e49d1f1457601fb3496ea70bbbfb611e.jpg

Edited by dandee2

Gary thankyou for the info seems to me we would be wasting a lot of time in transportation we have heard that Mullett beach is nice also seeing that we have been to orient before would this be a more viable option really want to see the jets landing & taking off but we do love orient beach so do not want to be disapointed by Mullett

does Mullett have chair & umbrella rentals , is the water calm there or can it get to rough for swimming and is it easy to get taxi from Mullett to Maho

thanks again

What is it that you love about Orient?

Mullet Bay Beach is very nice, and we like it, but it is not Orient, which we love, too.

Mullet is limited with only two food/drink choices, Rosie's and Dalio's.

There are chairs and umbrellas available, but only a Porta-Potty.

Mullet is more susceptible to rough conditions caused by the weather. We've seen waves here MUCH bigger than ever at Orient, but usually there's just enough action to be fun.

Sometimes the entry into the water has quite a drop-off, rarely seen at Orient.

You're there on a Saturday, and the beach is quite popular with locals on the weekends, but that can be fun, too.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off, as I think visiting Mullet for your beach time before Maho for the planes is a great idea.

There was a discussion here some time ago about walking from Mullet over to Maho. Check it out.

gary

You can walk from Maho to Mullet Beach. About 15 minute walk. Go on Google earth, it is easy to spot. Then when you back track, hop on one of the taxi that are waiting at the Sonesta. Food and drink available on the beach and also chairs and umbrella. Better beach for swimming than Maho. Sonesta have day room available. I have no idea how much it costs.

Dandee thank you for your replys i happened to find a detailed google map on a previous post with route marked on it.

What is it that you love about Orient?

Mullet Bay Beach is very nice, and we like it, but it is not Orient, which we love, too.

Mullet is limited with only two food/drink choices, Rosie's and Dalio's.

There are chairs and umbrellas available, but only a Porta-Potty.

Mullet is more susceptible to rough conditions caused by the weather. We've seen waves here MUCH bigger than ever at Orient, but usually there's just enough action to be fun.

Sometimes the entry into the water has quite a drop-off, rarely seen at Orient.

You're there on a Saturday, and the beach is quite popular with locals on the weekends, but that can be fun, too.

Hopefully I haven't scared you off, as I think visiting Mullet for your beach time before Maho for the planes is a great idea.

There was a discussion here some time ago about walking from Mullet over to Maho. Check it out.

gary

Gary not scared off at all just want to get the facts and you have provided them and for that we thank you

We just love the vibe of Orient the bars & reasturants the beach and water its also one of the nicest beaches we have ever been to and we have seen our share of beaches and being able to go au natural is a plus lol so we will have to play it by ear and see which way we go might just be a decision that we make upon arrival when we see what weather and wind is like

Thanks again for your imput greatly appreciated

We are not sure on which day we will be visiting Sunset, since we will be playing it day-by-day while on the island. We have visited many times by way of a cruise. This is our first time spending the entire week - we are very much looking forward to it!

We will positively be at Orient Beach (at the far end, naturally) on Saturday, 02/01. That is our only plan at the moment.

Are you visiting by cruise ship or staying on the island?

Warmly,

S&M

We'll be staying for a week. We've done this a few times now and love it. The only thing that we have planned so far is a catamaran trip to Anguilla. We are planning on Orient and Maho, just not sure what days though.

See the Sunset Bar & Grill Webcam here.

Schedule here.

I was able to determine that the KLM 747 arriving from Amsterdam would be arriving on the day we are to be in St. Martin by going to the KLM website and looking for flights to St. Martin on the day we are there. That way I know the time of scheduled arrival for our cruise this coming May. I will recheck the flight arrival time before we leave on the cruise.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

We'll be staying for a week. We've done this a few times now and love it. The only thing that we have planned so far is a catamaran trip to Anguilla. We are planning on Orient and Maho, just not sure what days though.

As I mentioned before, we will be staying for the entire week as well. This will be our first time on this island for the entire week. The DW is fluent in French (as well as a few others - she is Swiss) and I'm passable (if you are durnk.) As such, we will be focusing mostly on the French side. When at Orient Beach, we tend to park oursleves in front of the Beach Bar or close to it on the Club O section of the beach - we are funny that way. :D

We are staying in a Condo on Orient Beach - near Club O. We were also thinking of taking a day trip to the other island. Which service are you using? Which day are you going?

Perhaps we will run into each other during the week - and probably not even realize it.

Warmly,

S&M

The beach would not be too kid friendly. Just get the schedule for the "big plane" landings and plan the trip around that. Air France has mid day flights in.

Where/when can we obtain a schedule of the landings? I was informed to go to Maho in the afternoon for the "big planes". Does anyone know know roughly what time? We will be there on a Tuesday.

Where/when can we obtain a schedule of the landings? I was informed to go to Maho in the afternoon for the "big planes". Does anyone know know roughly what time? We will be there on a Tuesday.

This website will give you an idea of what planes will be landing on what day. It only looks forward 3 days from today, but it is better than just guessing. Enter the Airport Code (SXM) and the date you are interested in.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do;jsessionid=BB6920C636FFA9CA663B2BE0CC971596.web1:8009

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Cjackso8:

If you would like to connect while we are all there, please feel free to contact us at laletum@yahoo.com.

We are really looking forward to our trip!

S&M

we made this walk as taxi would only stop at maho. we walked to mullet and through golf course. walked back 2 maho in afternoon and saw planes for an hour and then took taxi back 2 port. easy peasy

we made this walk as taxi would only stop at maho. we walked to mullet and through golf course. walked back 2 maho in afternoon and saw planes for an hour and then took taxi back 2 port. easy peasy

If you booked a taxi to Mullet, then he certainly should have taken you to Mullet Bay. It was listed on their official site (when it was up) at the same rate.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

gary