time needed to be back aboard ship when leaving port

samom

Sailing the Riviera to St Lucia. Have a private excursion that will get me back to ship by 4. When my ta contacted O they said I needed to be back on ship by 3 or 3:30. Our scheduled departure from port is 5:00. I don't want to miss ship but really wanted this excursion. Your input is much appreciated.

Sailing the Riviera to St Lucia. Have a private excursion that will get me back to ship by 4. When my ta contacted O they said I needed to be back on ship by 3 or 3:30. Our scheduled departure from port is 5:00. I don't want to miss ship but really wanted this excursion. Your input is much appreciated.

As a general rule you have to be back on the ship 30 minutes before departure. Did your TA confirm that the ship is still departing at 5? Sometimes the departure time changes from what is initially indicated when you book. It's worth checking again to clarify. I can see no reason you would need to be back that early for a 5pm departure.

Not true.

I do tons of private excursions

My rule of thumb is ALWAYS to be back at the ship at least hour before we sail.

Usually, passengers have to be back on board 1/2 hour before the time of sailing.

Thanks will double check departure time. The excursion company says we will be back at port at 4 which is the published time of departure. O said to be back by 3 or 3:30. Thanks for the information!

Not having an hours leeway with the tour company will spoil your whole day.

Make sure they plan to have you back by 3:00 because stuff happens.

Thanks will double check departure time. The excursion company says we will be back at port at 4 which is the published time of departure. O said to be back by 3 or 3:30. Thanks for the information!

If the departure time of the ship is 4pm you NEED to be onboard by 3:30pm

DO NOT have the excursion company get you back to the ship AT THE TIME OF DEPARTURE.

Give yourself an hour -- stuff happens.

The scheduled departure is 5.

Let's put it this way

you NEED to be onboard the ship 30 min before the stated departure time of the ship

When you get off the ship there is a sign at the bottom of the gangway staing the time you NEED to be back on board

co-ordinate your watch with the ship's time when you leave in case you have changed time zones

My mistake in one of my responses. Departure is at 5 and the excursion company says the return by 4. Thanks for all your insight.

In Hawaii ports its 1.5 hour... and that has been my experience....

Stuff happens all the time. A classic was in Tahiti with Regent we took a ships all day tour 4x4 across the island, the ship sailed at 4 pm.... we got back at 4:03 supposed to get in at 3 The captain was pacing at the foot of the gangway; we went up with him right behind... 30 seconds later the gangway was being pulled away and the ships lines were being cast off.......... 30 seconds after that the ship was moving !!!

In many ports now including all US ports, the Coastguard and Port captain have to receive a typed manifest of all passenger on board 1 hour prior to departure.

My mistake in one of my responses. Departure is at 5 and the excursion company says the return by 4. Thanks for all your insight.

We, like so many others on these boards, book our own tours. I always tell them we HAVE to be back an hour before we sail. That way, if we are 10-15 minutes late, it's no problem. And if any tour company is worth anything, you will always get back in plenty of time. Just remember to check the boarding time before you leave the ship and take the port agent's info with you, just in case there is a problem. Enjoy!! Arlene ;)

:eek:If the new security law says that the port needs to RECEIVE a written manifest of all passengers on board 1 hour prior to sailing

Its pretty hard for you to be on board after they have to hand in the manifest...

1.5 hours in all the American or American influenced ports in what most lines require Arriving 1 hour before means you missed the boat because you will not be on the list,

Check it out....seriously 1.5 hours. If you are on a ships tour then they have control and knowledge of your presences . On your own they don't know if you will be back on or when...

:eek:If the new security law says that the port needs to RECEIVE a written manifest of all passengers on board 1 hour prior to sailing

Its pretty hard for you to be on board after they have to hand in the manifest...

1.5 hours in all the American or American influenced ports in what most lines require Arriving 1 hour before means you missed the boat because you will not be on the list,

Check it out....seriously 1.5 hours. If you are on a ships tour then they have control and knowledge of your presences . On your own they don't know if you will be back on or when...

Where do you get this stuff from?? :eek:

Embarkation day is the only time you need to be onboard 90 min prior to sailaway

Most ports it is 30 to 45 mins last call

Smart people will be there 1 hr prior;)

We, like so many others on these boards, book our own tours. I always tell them we HAVE to be back an hour before we sail. That way, if we are 10-15 minutes late, it's no problem. And if any tour company is worth anything, you will always get back in plenty of time. Just remember to check the boarding time before you leave the ship and take the port agent's info with you, just in case there is a problem. Enjoy!! Arlene ;)

About 5 years ago we were almost 2 hours late coming back from Hanoi but we were on a ships tour so they waited for us. Otherwise they could have left our passports with the ships agent at the port and we would have had to get to the next stop own our own. Be on time or the ship might not wait for you. Not Fun BE ON TIME