Star Ratings for Cruise Ships

Stuartm

There was some discussion on a thread last week regarding who gives cruise ships (and cruise lines) their rating. It was suggested by a couple of posters that they are based on the Berlitz star rating.

This week I received an email from an online Australian agency claiming that Celebrity is "Australia's highest rated cruise line" and that the Celebrity Solstice is "the highest rated ship based in Australia".

I searched the page for some reference to the source of these claims but I could find nothing. I had a wonderful cruise on the Solstice recently so my issue wasn't with the veracity of the claims but rather whose rating system were they using so I sent them an email asking the question and this answer arrive the next day.

Thank you for your email.

The ratings for cruise ships are done by Berlitz, and have been for the last 29 years. For ships which home port out of Australia Celebrity Solstice is the highest rated at 1551. The only ships which visit Australia but do not base themselves here which are higher is the Cunard Line (Queen Mary 2 1673, Queen Victoria 1579, Queen Elizabeth 1585)

So as far as this agency is concerned they follow the Berlitz rating......whether you agree with it or not.

cheers

Stu

There was some discussion on a thread last week regarding who gives cruise ships (and cruise lines) their rating. It was suggested by a couple of posters that they are based on the Berlitz star rating.

This week I received an email from an online Australian agency claiming that Celebrity is "Australia's highest rated cruise line" and that the Celebrity Solstice is "the highest rated ship based in Australia".

I searched the page for some reference to the source of these claims but I could find nothing. I had a wonderful cruise on the Solstice recently so my issue wasn't with the veracity of the claims but rather whose rating system were they using so I sent them an email asking the question and this answer arrive the next day.

Thank you for your email.

The ratings for cruise ships are done by Berlitz, and have been for the last 29 years. For ships which home port out of Australia Celebrity Solstice is the highest rated at 1551. The only ships which visit Australia but do not base themselves here which are higher is the Cunard Line (Queen Mary 2 1673, Queen Victoria 1579, Queen Elizabeth 1585)

So as far as this agency is concerned they follow the Berlitz rating......whether you agree with it or not.

cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu,

I appreciate your efforts. I especially like how it indicates that I was correct even though I always use the ratings for comparison reasons only (i.e a ship that is 5 star is better than a 3 star ship and price should/will reflect this). :D

Edited by MicCanberra

Once again it looks like the consultant does not know that other ships rate higher than Cunard.

During the current season the following ships are calling into Sydney (not home porting) and according to Berlitz 2011 rate higher than the Cunard Queens.

Europa 1853

Seabourne Sojourn 1787

Silver Whisper 1753

Crystal Symphony 1701

Queen Mary 2 Grill class 1702 Britannia Class 1541. (Is calling into Sydney twice)

Queen Victoria Grill class 1672 Britannia Class 1483.

Once again it looks like the consultant does not know that other ships rate higher than Cunard.

During the current season the following ships are calling into Sydney (not home porting) and according to Berlitz 2011 rate higher than the Cunard Queens.

Europa 1853

Seabourne Sojourn 1787

Silver Whisper 1753

Crystal Symphony 1701

Queen Mary 2 Grill class 1702 Britannia Class 1541. (Is calling into Sydney twice)

Queen Victoria Grill class 1672 Britannia Class 1483.

Yep, is it any wonder that false advertising confuses people?

As said, it's just marketing guff - no wonder some people get disappointed.

(i.e a ship that is 5 star is better than a 3 star ship :D

Hmm -- I hate to be too pedantic -- but before this discussion can continue too far, we would need to come to a satisfactory and inclusive meaning of the word "better".

And I don't believe we will be able to do that -- because "better" means different things to different people.

For some , in regards to cruiseships, it means flashier, newer, more luxurius, etc, etc -- for others it means more relaxed, less passengers, longer itineraries ( an increasingly rare thing) , etc :)

Some so-called 5 star ships are more relaxed in their dress code than others -- which of these is "better" :)

In my opinion - after our 15th cruise recently on a 3? star ship Pacific Dawn (which we enjoyed thoroughly - probably as much as the 5? star cruises on QM2,QE and QV) - is that all cruiseships are the same -- except that they are all different!! :)

As, a so-called 3 star ship, the best thing about Pacific Dawn is that it is full of Aussies ---- the worst thing about Pacific Dawn is that it is full of Aussies. That sounds like a contradiction - but it is not :)

Barry

I fully agree with what Barry has said.

When I was doing my associate diploma in travel and tourism, one thing that was said was travel is an intangible product. It is all about a person perspective.

Therefore a non rating ship maybe to some people a 5 star vessel.

Therefore, for me when I go on a cruise, I don't care what the rating is, I go on to experience the ship itself.

Hmm -- I hate to be too pedantic -- but before this discussion can continue too far, we would need to come to a satisfactory and inclusive meaning of the word "better".

And I don't believe we will be able to do that -- because "better" means different things to different people.

For some , in regards to cruiseships, it means flashier, newer, more luxurius, etc, etc -- for others it means more relaxed, less passengers, longer itineraries ( an increasingly rare thing) , etc :)

Some so-called 5 star ships are more relaxed in their dress code than others -- which of these is "better" :)

In my opinion - after our 15th cruise recently on a 3? star ship Pacific Dawn (which we enjoyed thoroughly - probably as much as the 5? star cruises on QM2,QE and QV) - is that all cruiseships are the same -- except that they are all different!! :)

As, a so-called 3 star ship, the best thing about Pacific Dawn is that it is full of Aussies ---- the worst thing about Pacific Dawn is that it is full of Aussies. That sounds like a contradiction - but it is not :)

Barry

Of course that may be the case but when a set of aspects are judged than the 5 star is better than the 3 star on those aspects. However, I do agree that the ratings do not mean you will have a better or worse cruise on either one, just that it is useful for a comparison.:D

Yep, is it any wonder that false advertising confuses people?

As said, it's just marketing guff - no wonder some people get disappointed.

The quote did state that it was for home port ships and did not include the ones just visiting."For ships which home port out of Australia Celebrity Solstice is the highest rated at 1551."

As they did not check all the ships that visit even though they mentioned a few, I suppose they should have mentioned all or none.

Edited by MicCanberra

The quote did state that it was for home port ships and did not include the ones just visiting."For ships which home port out of Australia Celebrity Solstice is the highest rated at 1551."

As they did not check all the ships that visit even though they mentioned a few, I suppose they should have mentioned all or none.

As said, other ships visit.

It's debateable if you're trying to say Solstice is home ported here. I'd say it just has more visits here than <some> other ships, but isn't actually home ported. It doesn't have most other changes to it that a real home ported ship has - including the obvious one of being permanently based at that port!

Edited by The_Big_M

As said, other ships visit.

It's debateable if you're trying to say Solstice is home ported here. I'd say it just has more visits here than <some> other ships, but isn't actually home ported. It doesn't have most other changes to it that a real home ported ship has - including the obvious one of being permanently based at that port!

It is based in Sydney for the season and most of it's cruises are leaving from there and the few that don't return there.

It is based in Sydney for the season and most of it's cruises are leaving from there and the few that don't return there.

Making a few trips from a port does not a "homeport" make. It is not registered here. Nor is it permanently based here.

Interesting Wikipedia shows home porting as:

Cruise:

A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry[1] shown on its registration documents[2] and lettered on the stern of the ship's hull.[3] In the cruise industry the term "home port" is often mistakenly used in reference to a ship's port of departure.

Navy:

In the Navy, a ship's home port is the port best suited to provide maintenance and restock weaponry particular to ships of that class and build. On conclusion of a tour of duty, a combat vessel returning to port will usually return to its home port.[citation needed] A single home port also makes it easier for family to visit sailors on leave.

Making a few trips from a port does not a "homeport" make. It is not registered here. Nor is it permanently based here.

The homeport statement is commonly used. Using your logic, then there are possibly no ships that do except for maybe NCL's pride of America, as even when a ship is based all year round out of Fort Lauderdale, they are not registered there (more like Malta or Bermuda) or permanently based in either of those countries.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Interesting Wikipedia shows home porting as:

Cruise:

A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry[1] shown on its registration documents[2] and lettered on the stern of the ship's hull.[3] In the cruise industry the term "home port" is often mistakenly used in reference to a ship's port of departure.

Navy:

In the Navy, a ship's home port is the port best suited to provide maintenance and restock weaponry particular to ships of that class and build. On conclusion of a tour of duty, a combat vessel returning to port will usually return to its home port.[citation needed] A single home port also makes it easier for family to visit sailors on leave.

Even if it is not exactly correct, it is stll commonly used by TAs.:D

The homeport statement is commonly used.

No, it's not as you can see by the definition. As with many words, some use it incorrectly. :D

Using your logic, then there are possibly no ships that do except for maybe NCL's pride of America, as even when a ship is based all year round out of Fort Lauderdale, they are not registered there (more like Malta or Bermuda) or permanently based in either of those countries.:D

Nice attempt to misquote and misinterpret me. It's not 'logic' - it's the definition!

As for the rest, I said "permanently based." How you can claim that a ship based "year round" is not "permanently based" there defies logic! :D

Edited by The_Big_M

Even if it is not exactly correct, it is stll commonly used by TAs.:D

Any time people don't use terms correctly, it confuses people. One wonders why you seem to advocate that.

We see often enough people here complaining about getting poor, or misleading advice from TAs, and being upset or disadvantaged by that. I seem to recall you may have even replied to sympathise.

Edited by The_Big_M

Any time people don't use terms correctly, it confuses people. One wonders why you seem to advocate that.

We see often enough people here complaining about getting poor, or misleading advice from TAs, and being upset or disadvantaged by that. I seem to recall you may have even replied to sympathise.

I am not advocating it, I was just pointing out that by the definition used, the statement was correct even if it didn't have all the facts in it.

How anyone can be upset by statement has me confused now.:confused:

No, it's not as you can see by the definition. As with many words, some use it incorrectly. :D

Nice attempt to misquote and misinterpret me. It's not 'logic' - it's the definition!

As for the rest, I said "permanently based." How you can claim that a ship based "year round" is not "permanently based" there defies logic! :D

I was pointing out the definition by wiki and comparing to yours. :confused:

Edited by MicCanberra

I fully agree with what Barry has said.

When I was doing my associate diploma in travel and tourism, one thing that was said was travel is an intangible product. It is all about a person perspective.

Therefore a non rating ship maybe to some people a 5 star vessel.

Therefore, for me when I go on a cruise, I don't care what the rating is, I go on to experience the ship itself.

Can't agree with that. Ratings are based on tangible things. The quality of fabrics. The passenger/space ratio. The quality of the ingredients used in the meals. The crew to passengers ratio. I certainly agree you can go on a poorly rated ship and have a brilliant time thanks to the mood on board and the people you meet but this does not change the ships rating. I'm sure we've all gone to the local cheap eat with a bunch of friends and had a terrific night out but it doesn't make the cheap eat a five star restaurant, and having a great time on a poor ship means simply that you've had a great time on a poor ship. It might seem 5 star to some if they've not experienced better, just as a Hyundai may seem 5 star to someone who's never seen a Merc, but thats why ratings are bsed on tangible things so they can compare like for like on different vessels.

Celebrity Solstice is homebased in Sydney between Oct and March. Apr to Sept it is homebased in Seattle. Thats pretty simple. So it is correctly the highest rated ship that is home based here during the Wave Season. I have no problems with Celebrity's advertising being correct. It's far better than some other lines who constantly refer to their five star products, which clearly they are not.

I am not advocating it, I was just pointing out that by the definition used, the statement was correct even if it didn't have all the facts in it.

How anyone can be upset by statement has me confused now.:confused:

People get upset because they form expectations, or make plans, based on what they understand.

When something doesn't work out the way they expect, depending on the significance of the plan, it can upset them, as the plans are upset.

I was pointing out the definition by wiki and comparing to yours. :confused:

I said "registered, or permanently based." Wiki said "A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry."

Seems pretty comparable to me.

Can't agree with that. Ratings are based on tangible things. The quality of fabrics. The passenger/space ratio. The quality of the ingredients used in the meals. The crew to passengers ratio. I certainly agree you can go on a poorly rated ship and have a brilliant time thanks to the mood on board and the people you meet but this does not change the ships rating. I'm sure we've all gone to the local cheap eat with a bunch of friends and had a terrific night out but it doesn't make the cheap eat a five star restaurant, and having a great time on a poor ship means simply that you've had a great time on a poor ship. It might seem 5 star to some if they've not experienced better, just as a Hyundai may seem 5 star to someone who's never seen a Merc, but thats why ratings are bsed on tangible things so they can compare like for like on different vessels.

Agreed.:D

Celebrity Solstice is homebased in Sydney between Oct and March. Apr to Sept it is homebased in Seattle. Thats pretty simple. So it is correctly the highest rated ship that is home based here during the Wave Season. I have no problems with Celebrity's advertising being correct. It's far better than some other lines who constantly refer to their five star products, which clearly they are not.

Also agreed.:D

I said "registered, or permanently based." Wiki said "A vessel's home port is the port at which it is based, which may not be the same as its port of registry."

Seems pretty comparable to me.

Yep.:D

Edited by MicCanberra