Star Ratings for Cruise Ships

Stuartm

Can't agree with that. Ratings are based on tangible things. The quality of fabrics. The passenger/space ratio. The quality of the ingredients used in the meals. The crew to passengers ratio. I certainly agree you can go on a poorly rated ship and have a brilliant time thanks to the mood on board and the people you meet but this does not change the ships rating. I'm sure we've all gone to the local cheap eat with a bunch of friends and had a terrific night out but it doesn't make the cheap eat a five star restaurant, and having a great time on a poor ship means simply that you've had a great time on a poor ship. It might seem 5 star to some if they've not experienced better, just as a Hyundai may seem 5 star to someone who's never seen a Merc, but thats why ratings are bsed on tangible things so they can compare like for like on different vessels.

Only problem with the above is that the rating isn't universal.

It's like saying something is 5 lengths. Except one person is measuring in inches and another is measuring in cm. Big difference!

Edited by The_Big_M

Celebrity Solstice is homebased in Sydney between Oct and March. Apr to Sept it is homebased in Seattle. Thats pretty simple.

Except it's wrong. A ship that visits and starts from a port doesn't make it have a 'homebase.' when it's not permanently based. In your usage , the New Zealanders could say it's homebased there in Auckland as well.

Except it's not home based at either port.

Only problem with the above is that the rating isn't universal.

It's like saying something is 5 lengths. Except one person is measuring in inches and another is measuring in cm. Big difference!

That is true about differing measurements being used by different people but I think that generally most ratings get the basics right. and a lot of people use the Berlitz ratings.:D

Except it's wrong. A ship that visits and starts from a port doesn't make it have a 'homebase.' when it's not permanently based. In your usage , the New Zealanders could say it's homebased there in Auckland as well.

Except it's not home based at either port.

In the context of Australia/NZ for the season, Sydney is more home than any other port.:D

The ratings for cruise ships are done by Berlitz, and have been for the last 29 years.

Getting back to their original reference - Berlitz. Got this thick book from our local library - it makes an interesting read on cruise ships in general & as a comparison of specific ones.

But just staying at a port for a number of stays does not make a home. :D

We're not talking about just stopping at a port for a number of stays. I think its fair to say that if a ship stays in a country for an extended season, and its cruises all start and finish at the same port, then that port is considered the homeport during that season. Its where people embark from and disembark off, and its where the majority of stores are loaded and wastes offloaded. Otherwise what is the homeport? Its certainly not the place of registration. Most ships have never been near the city they are registered in.

We're not talking about just stopping at a port for a number of stays. I think its fair to say that if a ship stays in a country for an extended season, and its cruises all start and finish at the same port, then that port is considered the homeport during that season. Its where people embark from and disembark off, and its where the majority of stores are loaded and wastes offloaded. Otherwise what is the homeport? Its certainly not the place of registration. Most ships have never been near the city they are registered in.

6 months isn't an extended season. It's just a season.

Also, in Celebrity's case, they don't all start and finish at the same port. They're mostly one way, and at a number of ports in the region.

As for the definition, as said before, registered or permanently based. That's acknowledging that some ships such as cruise ships are more likely to fly flags of convenience.

Its where people embark from and disembark off, and its where the majority of stores are loaded and wastes offloaded.

That's just different aspects of ports. Many ships (less so in our region where there is less infrastructure at non-boarding ports, and our region has more tendering ports) will load stores and offload waste at a variety of ports, and they may well prefer other ports than the boarding port for this.

RCCL & Celebrity refer to Sydney as the home port for their ships based here for the summer so that will do me ......and what does it matter how a ship is rated....if you like it ......you like it...who cares what anybody else thinks! it's only an opinion.

RCCL & Celebrity refer to Sydney as the home port for their ships based here for the summer so that will do me ......and what does it matter how a ship is rated....if you like it ......you like it...who cares what anybody else thinks! it's only an opinion.

I agree with the first part of your post and most of the second part but I also find that the ratings (like berlitz) do help for comparisons.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I agree with the first part of your post and most of the second part but I also find that the ratings (like berlitz) do help for comparisons.:D

Agreed.........but...I like Dom Perignon champagne...you like Bollinger......which one is better?????:)

Agreed.........but...I like Dom Perignon champagne...you like Bollinger......which one is better?????:)

I know what you mean but it still helps me when seeing a 3 star for $1200/person or a 5 star for $1300/person for the same itinerary but different ship.

BTW, I prefer Vueve Cliquet:D

I know what you mean but it still helps me when seeing a 3 star for $1200/person or a 5 star for $1300/person for the same itinerary but different ship.

BTW, I prefer Vueve Cliquet:D

Bollinger was easier to spell:D:D:D