Urgent...19 year olds booked without an over 21 year old going.

Thanks Jan.

Surely they can't advertise 2 different minimum ages dependent on where you live. Should be the same across the board. Hopefully this will be enough to let them go. Fingers crossed

It doesn't even seem to be where you live, but where the cruise starts.

Likewise, I've never driven by a military base and seen a group of 18 year old recruits just wreaking havoc for the fun of it.

Ah but did you go to college in a majorly military area? (I did) When you drove by the base you didn't see any 18 year old men being naughty because they were all sneaking into the college dorms to meet women while "visiting my friend, do you know him, I don't know his room number", in the first weeks of school when no one knows anyone. :p

OP--I agree with others that it sounds like the Australian website is out of date and your son and his friend should not have an issue since they are sailing from outside of North America.

Frankly I think it's brilliant, not dumb. Never in my life have I known a group of 18 year olds to get together to go vote and end up behaving badly and hurting themselves or others or damaging property in the process. Likewise, I've never driven by a military base and seen a group of 18 year old recruits just wreaking havoc for the fun of it. But a bunch of 18 year olds, unaccompanied, on a spring break cruise or a graduation cruise? Really? That's another thing entirely. I don't blame the cruise lines one bit for having that rule, and you can bet I'd steer clear of any cruise that didn't have it.

1. I live in what has been, until very recently, a town with a lot of US military personnel. Trust me, they can and often do get drunk and wreak havoc just for the hell of it. (please note--I mean no disrespect to those who serve our country--many never do this, an many others probably would not if not in a group situation that often leads to a mob mentality and ALSO being under the extreme stress that our troops go through).

2. Yes, groups of young adults can (and often do) get out of control. It happens with 18-12 year olds. And 20-25 year olds. Oh, an then there are the 40 year olds who drink too much on a cruise and act totally out of line. Or the loud mouthed woman in her 70s who was drunk and unruly most of our cruise in October. . .

This is not behaviour that is limited to any one age. To limit individual bookings by adults because SOME that age will behave poorly--instead of enforcing rules and kicking off anyone who gets too out of hand, regardless of age, is wrong (IMO).

Edited by NHDisneylover

Just out of interest I looked at Carnival's site, their limit is 21 unless it's a married couple.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544381

So I guess in the US you're a legal adult at 18, can vote, join the military and die for your country but you have to be 21 to buy a drink or book a cruise with Royal. How dumb is that :(

Or, as you say, Carnival. Or MSC, or Celebrity, Princess, Norwegian or Costa. Worse is Holland America where those under 21 must sail with someone over 25 (no 20 year old with their 22 year old significant other or friend, for example).

Of the major cruise lines I checked, only Disney actually treats 18 year olds as adults and allows them to sail without a "chaperone"

IMO, typically, "partying college students" means drinking. However, in order to check in and board, you need to show valid ID which would confirm your age. If you are under 21 your SeaPass card will be tagged to identify that so that you won't be able to purchase alcohol on board. So unless the underage college students are able to smuggle alcohol on board, the partying college students won't be able to party very successfully. And during spring break cruises in particular, the security at check in looking for smuggled alcohol typically is tighter. I realize some booze can be smuggled on board - not my point - I guess I'm not so sure that this is the reason for the 21 age rule.

Just like the booking/check-in, those 18-21 can also buy alcohol onboard in line with local terms in Australia and some other regions.

Just like the booking/check-in, those 18-21 can also buy alcohol onboard in line with local terms in Australia and some other regions.

Which is separate from the minimum booking age discussion. But to that point, the RCI policy regarding consuming alcohol on board varies by region of departure as follows:

"The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification".

But the alcohol consumption policy is consistent with the booking age policy as previously posted by kimberley.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I totally agree meg. Understandable for group bookings of young under 21's but sad when all youngsters are stereotyped as young fools wanting to run a muck. These two are great young men, ones a law student and the other an engineer just about to head into the army as an officer. Great kids who are amazing in their community and have been raised with respect for people and property. Yes there are youngsters who are trouble but also many who are awesome young people. Shame the bad ones make it hard for the many good ones.....guess that's the society we live in. Sad but true.

Your gentlemen sound like two exemplary people. I'd be honored to cruise with them.

Well after finally (1 hour and 20mins) on hold with RC Australia we have an answer....Yes they can book unaccompanied from age 18, so I have 2 relieved and excited young men. I popped into a travel agent just up from my workplace and they believed it to be 21 years as per information available to them, so seems like conflicting information so fingers crossed all will be fine on the day of departure. Thankyou all for your help and happy cruising to you all :)

Well after finally (1 hour and 20mins) on hold with RC Australia we have an answer....Yes they can book unaccompanied from age 18, so I have 2 relieved and excited young men. I popped into a travel agent just up from my workplace and they believed it to be 21 years as per information available to them, so seems like conflicting information so fingers crossed all will be fine on the day of departure. Thankyou all for your help and happy cruising to you all :)

Great news!!! hope they have a great cruise. :):)

Which is separate from the minimum booking age discussion.

Yes, but a point you were discussing so relevant to that.

But to that point, the RCI policy regarding consuming alcohol on board varies by region of departure as follows:

"The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America is eighteen (18).

The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America remains at twenty-one (21). Any sailing that includes a US port the minimum drinking age is 21, even when orginating in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification".

Which is as I said, without quoting the policy.

But the alcohol consumption policy is consistent with the booking age policy as previously posted by kimberley.

Not really, as evidenced by your post. The FAQ quoted by Kimberley say "Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy."

However, the statement I gave is that the alcohol policy is also effectively harmonised with the booking policy in regions so that they both allow people from the age of 18 - not 21.

Thanks Jan.

Surely they can't advertise 2 different minimum ages dependent on where you live. Should be the same across the board. Hopefully this will be enough to let them go. Fingers crossed

It is not based on where you live - it is based on where you sail from. Policies vary based on sailing port all the time - it is very common.

Both, tho' Carnival does at least recognize married couples under 21, nevertheless it's still idiotic, you're an adult at 18, can get a mortgage etc ... but ... except not really ... only if ...

Royal also lets you sail under 21 if you are married or in the military. Nevertheless, it is their policy and is based on 40+ years of experience on how young adults act onboard.