Eastern Med with 84 year old Dad--how much is too much

Mom2008

Hi everyone:

My Dad has offered to take our family (7 people including him) on a cruise of our choice, as long as we can fit it within a budget of about $2,500 per person for the whole trip. I've never been able to take my family to Europe, so thought this would be a good opportunity to do this. We live in Vancouver, BC.

My Mom's ancestors come from Croatia, so we thought Eastern Mediterranean would be great. Mom passed away two years ago, so this will keep her memory alive.

Dad had his second knee replacement earlier this year, and he still walks with a walker. He likes cruising because of its all-inclusive nature.

He's Catholic and a big fan of the Pope, so we thought it would be great to fly to Rome early enough to take in the Wednesday morning audience with the Pope. He's already talked to the Archbishop about getting tickets :) We'll stay in Rome Weds night, then take the train to Venice Thursday, stay in Venice until the ship sails on Saturday afternoon.

We are thinking of taking a Norwegian Cruise Lines 7-day cruise as they seem the most affordable and have the best itinerary.

For anything over the allotted cost, we would want to pitch in $$, to make our vacation memorable.

Here's the question part. We were thinking that, after the ship returns on Saturday morning, we would take a train to Paris and spend a few more days there and fly home from Paris. We are speak French, my Dad's ancestors are from Brittany, and my husband and I have always wanted to take the kids (ages 11, 16 and 19) to France one day (we visited there before we were married). Should we perhaps reverse the itinerary? Fly to Paris, train to Venice, then to Rome?

Are we biting off more than we can chew? An Eastern Med cruise is very port-intensive and there isn't very much down time. Dad has already said though that he'll see how he feels each day, and if he's not up to it, he'll stay on the ship while we visit a city. He'd say yes to everything, he's very eager, but he might not know how tiring it could be.

We'd probably bring along a transport wheelchair to help him get around, as too much walking could be very tiring for him.

His idea of the cruise is to spend time with the family (we live in Vancouver, he lives in Winnipeg and I haven't seen him since my Mom's funeral two years ago), he doesn't mind where we go, but just wants to be together.

We've cruised twice before with my husband's family, but his Dad paid for everything and I didn't have to plan anything. We went to Alaska and Mexico, each with three ports on a seven-day cruise, so lots of down time, so this sounds like it could be very tiring.

Any and all advice is welcome. Oh, and we'd be sailing July/August as my son is in high school and we don't want him to miss any school.

Thanks. Theresa

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your trip is doable at all. My friend and I flew to Paris, then on to Rome for 3 days pre-cruise, 12 day cruise, then 3 days post cruise before flying back to Paris and home to Los Angeles. We had planned $4500 pp and it ended up costing us $6000 pp.

Now granted you are planning a little bit shorter cruise, but I really think you would need to add $2500 more pp to what your Dad is paying for. Just trying to give you a bit of reality.

Everything in Europe is a lot more expensive than here. At todays conversion rate, you are losing almost half your money just landing there.

1.00 CAD =0.699319 EUR

I really think a nice cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii would be more affordable and pleasurable too!

1.00 CAD =0.699319 EUR

I really think a nice cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii would be more affordable and pleasurable too!

Must admit I agree with this advice….Also need to think about heath and travel insurance coverage for your family in Europe or Hawaii.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your trip is doable at all. My friend and I flew to Paris, then on to Rome for 3 days pre-cruise, 12 day cruise, then 3 days post cruise before flying back to Paris and home to Los Angeles. We had planned $4500 pp and it ended up costing us $6000 pp.

Now granted you are planning a little bit shorter cruise, but I really think you would need to add $2500 more pp to what your Dad is paying for. Just trying to give you a bit of reality.

Everything in Europe is a lot more expensive than here. At todays conversion rate, you are losing almost half your money just landing there.

1.00 CAD =0.699319 EUR

I agree wholeheartedly. We spent right around $20K for three weeks for two people, and had our last three hotel nights covered on points and by the airline after a missed connection. I don't see taking a two week or longer trip to Europe for $2500 pp, even with all inside cabins and hostel style hotels. By the way, most Italian hotels only sleep two per room, so you might be looking at three rooms per night--at about $300 each for a moderate type hotel, that's half your budget.

Yes, Dad, myself, my husband, our three kids, and our oldest daughter's boyfriend. I have five other siblings and he's offering the same deal to each of them. Originally he was going to plan a big cruise with everyone, but the logistics were just too big.

I am seriously looking at paring down the itinerary. Lots of soul-searching to do right now. Our original plan was to fly Monday, arrive in Rome late Monday/early Tuesday, rest, Pope Weds morning, stay in Rome Weds night, then train to Venice Thurs for a Sat evening cruise. That might be enough.

Theresa

leave the kids and BF home and take Dad to see the Pope and a cruise around the Med. Venice is hard work. Almost every port has a cruise excursion that basically is a 1/2 day drive-by of the highlights with very little or no walking. Pickup at ship and drop off at ship. Rome during the prime summer months is almost unbearable from the heat even the Pope get's out of town. the 3 kids are going to go nuts going at the pace that will be required with your Dad. how old is daughter with BF? what cabin arrangements are you thinking? kind of sounds like you are taking advantage of Dad to sponsor your Euro trip. that flight is going to be a killer. we just did JFK to Barcelona and were numb for a whole day. if you can't get Dad up in first class forget it.

Edited by Sherlock43031

You have a wealth of travel information to work with so I will address your problem with your son missing school.

If you decide to cruise in October I am sure if you start communicating with his teachers at the begining of the school year they will ensure that he has the time missed while travelling covered with a mix of extra work pre and post trip as well as giving him some work to do while travelling. Depending on the courses he is taking the travel could be worked into some course work.

Go for Europe, do the cruise, do it in October, splurge; treat the $2500 your dad gave each of you as a base but know that you should probably put an equal amount into the pot or you are going to worry about money instead of enjoying a once in a lifetime experience.

Cheers, h.

I think you are misinformed.

In all the cruises I have done, the tenders keep running all day long. People have gone ashore for the morning and back to the ship for lunch, sometimes going ashore again in the afternoon. There's no reason why the OP's father could not go ashore just for the morning, and still have an afternoon rest on board the ship.

Oops. It was speculation on my part and I speculated wrong. The only cruise I've taken was a 73-passenger ship. Thanks for the correction.

Keep in mind that any savings with the discounted Euro airlines can easily be eaten up by luggage fees--and fees for pretty much everything including breathing it seems.

And Ryanair is one of those lines that get you to almost where you want to get - not to where you are going. They go to Ciampino, not Leonardo da Vinci for Rome -- leaving you with a bus ride to the train , or a really long bus ride to the city. Also, at many of the third-rate airports they use, there are no jetways - just the steep roll-up steps which would be really tough for anyone with impaired mobility. Yes, their fares are low - but boarding is a scramble - without assigned seats, it may be good for back-packing 20-something's, but pure hell for an 80-something.

If Rome, the Pope, and a Med cruise is preferred, I would say Paris is too much to add to the mix. I would suggest sticking to Italy for land, especially the cost being a consideration. Putting the Pope and Rome aside, there are countless possibilities for a family cruise. But definitely, in the general scheme you propose, I say, yes, Paris is too much.

Must admit I agree with this advice….Also need to think about heath and travel insurance coverage for your family in Europe or Hawaii.

We're back at square one asking some very hard questions about whether Europe is the best choice for us.

As for insurance, I'm lucky my family of five is covered 100% through my work. Not sure what coverage my Dad has, then there's the boyfriend.

A multigenerational cruise is a great idea. Just don't expect everyone to do everything and be together 24/7.

We've done two multi-generational cruises (with husband's family) that worked out well, one with four generations. Rule was that at a minimum everyone had dinner on board together every day, otherwise, smaller groups did things together during the day. Those cruises had 14 and 13 people (Alaska & Mexico 7-days on HAL). In two ports in Mexico, we hired a private taxi to drive us around, and in Cabo, we just walked around the port to a beach and went swimming.

Thinking, thinking...

If Rome, the Pope, and a Med cruise is preferred, I would say Paris is too much to add to the mix. I would suggest sticking to Italy for land, especially the cost being a consideration. Putting the Pope and Rome aside, there are countless possibilities for a family cruise. But definitely, in the general scheme you propose, I say, yes, Paris is too much.

Yes, so far, Paris at least, is out of the picture for this trip. It is getting more and more shaved down. A warm place at the end of March is looking more appealing, with a separate trip to Rome for my Dad if he really wants to see the Pope, but without the kids.

You have a wealth of travel information to work with so I will address your problem with your son missing school.

If you decide to cruise in October I am sure if you start communicating with his teachers at the begining of the school year they will ensure that he has the time missed while travelling covered with a mix of extra work pre and post trip as well as giving him some work to do while travelling. Depending on the courses he is taking the travel could be worked into some course work.

Go for Europe, do the cruise, do it in October, splurge; treat the $2500 your dad gave each of you as a base but know that you should probably put an equal amount into the pot or you are going to worry about money instead of enjoying a once in a lifetime experience.

Cheers, h.

Yes, I think it would be do-able. But just talked to my sister tonight, and I forgot, my nephew is getting married (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend, October 11, so a trip to Europe at that time, followed by a trip to Winnipeg, would be too much.

Pope probably won't be in Rome end of June/July so...still thinking.

leave the kids and BF home and take Dad to see the Pope and a cruise around the Med.

One of the main reasons he's offering this, especially for our family, is that living halfway across the country, they don't see him very much, and this is a way to connect. So I'm re-thinking this now. Europe would be educational and amazing, but not relaxing, and I think my Dad needs relaxing. He can do a separate trip to Rome, with me, or some of his Catholic friends, to see the Pope, without everyone else in tow.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be better for you and your close family to commit to flying cross-country to visit your father more often, instead of the extended family all going to Europe. It's always a nightmare trying to organise a large family when travelling.

Not meaning to be critical, but it seems a shame that your Dad feels he has to subsidise all of you to Europe, just so he can see you.

If going to Rome, seeing the Pope and taking a Mediterranean cruise is on his wish list, then possibly a small number of you could make that possible for him.

But if his wish is just to see you all, then a family reunion closer to home would be much easier to organise.

We're back at square one asking some very hard questions about whether Europe is the best choice for us.

As for insurance, I'm lucky my family of five is covered 100% through my work. Not sure what coverage my Dad has, then there's the boyfriend.

Your work covers your family for travel interruption, emergency evacuation, and medical outside Canada?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

Your work covers your family for travel interruption, emergency evacuation, and medical outside Canada?

that would be very odd..

is the "bf" paying his expenses or free-loading?

Not odd at all. It's a common employment benefit in Canada.

And if you don't have it as work benefit, it costs about $140 for a family of 4 for a year.

Edited by boulders

It is very exciting seeing the Pope, bit like being at a concert waiting for Bono and the lads to come out! Lots of flag waving and singing etc... Maybe you and Dad could go with his KSC friends and you could leave everyone else at home.

I do know why you want to vacation with your Daddy and your family. Me and my daughter vacationed with my ma and pa last year - but they did find it really exhausting, I have to say.

I didnt realise it was 2,500 dollars........ thats not much at all for Europe. sorry :( You can easily pay 10 dollars for a drink in a small cafe.

You are right to forget Paris - its full of excrement on the streets, and even among the rest of us Europeans nobody really likes the French - and they dont like anybody except themselves!!

I keep returning to this thread, because the more I think about it, the more I realize that given the parameters of $2500 pp, the age groups involved, and the proposed itinerary, I think you need to just stop in your tracks.

The airfare will run you half of the $2500 alone. Then you've got transfers between the airport and cities and ports, hotels, tours, entry fees, and food, even a flat rental in a reasonably convenient location without steps or with a lift that sleeps that many will eat up another $300 or more per night--and it will not offer much privacy. In all honesty, just getting there and back, eating, sleeping, paying for transfers, and paying for entry fees will most likely eat up the majority of your $2500 per person. This is before you get on a ship--that may have a fuel surcharge that will eat up another $200 per person.

I also keep thinking about how grueling that flight will be, and how difficult it will be to maneuver around Rome in a wheelchair and think it's just not feasible.

I agree with the others, take a cruise to either Alaska or Hawaii. It will fit the budget and be so much less stressful. My bother's in-laws just took brother, SIL, niece, and nephew to Hawaii last year and they had a blast. The Father-in-law is in poor health, but there were suitable shore excursions in every port, and once or twice he stayed behind on the ship enjoying the scenery from his balcony. I don't know exactly what was spent, but I'm sure it was around or even under $2500 pp, including airfare, not including souvenirs.

Not odd at all. It's a common employment benefit in Canada.

And if you don't have it as work benefit, it costs about $140 for a family of 4 for a year.

Have you double checked that you are covered for travel OUTSIDE CANADA? And would that be just health coverage?

Here in the U.S. I have good health medical coverage, but it doesn't go outside the U.S. when I travel. And it wouldn't cover cancellation, trip interruption, or transportation home (if needed), so I always purchase a travel policy.

Have you double checked that you are covered for travel OUTSIDE CANADA? And would that be just health coverage?

Here in the U.S. I have good health medical coverage, but it doesn't go outside the U.S. when I travel. And it wouldn't cover cancellation, trip interruption, or transportation home (if needed), so I always purchase a travel policy.

Yes, the extra expenses of getting ill or injured on a trip can really add up. My employer (US) was telling us about some travel benefit we had, 24/7, anywhere in the world, and it turned out they mostly found you an English-speaking doctor in their network. No repatriation, no coverage for cancellation/change fees, no coverage if a traveling companion has to stay in the area till you get out of the hospital, etc. And that could happen to anyone in your group- there's kayaking, ziplining, hiking.. all kinds of fun ways you can get into trouble! (My avatar pic was taken just before snorkeling in 42-degree water.)

I had a thought on location and I know you were leaning towards someplace warm. If you did chose a cruise, Alaska might be good choice because so much of its beauty can be seen from the water. If your Dad was worn out and chose to stay aboard in a European port, he might feel like he missed a lot. In Alaska, he can hang out in the lounge with a good pair of binoculars and/or a camera and watch the wildlife. There's also the huge advantage of less time in flight and fewer time zone changes. Out of the last 3 trips DH and I have taken to Europe, he's come back every time with a respiratory bug that ended up as either bronchitis or pneumonia. We know the drill by now- we get him to a doctor and get him on antibiotics and eventually he gets over it.

The trip to Alaska- nothing. We both came home relaxed and refreshed. And that's why we're going again next year!

Edited by Gloria Mundi

Um yeah, it's good anywhere in the world. It covers medevac, all medical expenses etc up to $5 million.

Ditto what boulders said, we too are Canadian with workplace benefits that include out of country health coverage, repatriation, emergency evacuation etc. We called our plan before our first international trip and verified no other coverage was needed. DH is a vice principal and has better coverage than I do as a regulated health professional working for a tertiary care hospital.

However, this is only health coverage not trip cancellation insurance.

With you being in Vancouver I would imagine, like me, you have done a lot of looking at snow covered mountains, hiling over glaciers and browsing through dense forest, so an Akaska cruise wouldn't hold the same appeal to your family as it would to most. Has your dad spent much time on the west coast? Would he enjoy something like that?

Hawaii would be good , it has a lot of sea days or the Caribbean, it is more port intensive. Oh! oh! I know (sorry just thought of this), look into a Panama Canal cruise. It could be one that pleases everyone.

Personally I would ditch all land tours and do a Med cruise which included Croatia; one of your dads wishes.

I bet you have more input than you ever thought. Good luck deciding what to do.

Cheers, h.