Mariner Dry Dock

eliana

While I am not certain when the Mariner goes in for refurbishment (think it will be a wet dock rather than a dry dock) but the first sailing after it is refurbished will be April 7, 2014.

Assume that this will be similar to the Voyagers recent wet dock where all carpeting in public replaces was replaced, the lounges and atrium areas were redone (furniture, upholstering, etc.), and the penthouse suites were redone. Regent works on the time so everything is I good shape. It is nice when they give areas a whole "new look".

Looks logical to me... They are using Fincantieri to build their ships so why not for a drydock (or wet dock - makes no diff!) and Fincantieri is, I believe, in Genova. Mariner docks in Barcelona and sails from Monte Carlo... Genova is right "down the road" from there.

This bit is off topic - but how I wish they would stop ending TA cruises in Barcelona and end them in France/Monaco/Italy. It is hard to get beyond the Pyrenees!

While I am not certain when the Mariner goes in for refurbishment (think it will be a wet dock rather than a dry dock) ..........

Assume that this will be similar to the Voyagers recent wet dock where all carpeting in public replaces ..............................

Voyager Oct 2013 Drydock was dry. Apparently they put a special paint coating on the hull that is supposed to increase slip and lower fuel costs. I assume that they will be doing the same to the Mariner. (Read about hull Coatings & Cunard Press release)

Voyager Drydock Photo

Voyager+Drydock.jpg

One thing I don't understand is why the Voyager waterline color blue does not seem to match the racing strip color blue.

j

31/425

What the heck is the "Regent Times"??? Is this a UK thing?

Just sign me easily confused! :)

It is a "UK thing". Produced quarterly and edited very ably by Sam Farrar for Regent Seven Seas Society Members in Regent UK HQ in Southampton.

The current issue contains pictures of the newly refurbished Voyager, an interview with Ray Solaire, recipes from food served at Compass Rose (roasted Christmas Goose with Prunes in Armagnac in this issue), a preview of the new production shows, an article by a celebrity who sailed recently on Regent, a letters page containing stories of SS members and even a crossword set by the Europe Marketing Director.

IMO it is a cut above the usual "house magazine" and I, for one, look forward to the quarterly issue.

Good info, Tom - thanks! How do I get on their mailing list? the UK office is supposed to handle all of us in Europe too. So they (kindly and uselessly!) send me mailings with prices in EUR which we don't have of course! And I think they think that no one on the "continent" can read English so we don't get The Regent Times.

Hope all is well with you and Barbara and that you can now plan your next cruise!

Gerry

Good info, Tom - thanks! How do I get on their mailing list? the UK office is supposed to handle all of us in Europe too. So they (kindly and uselessly!) send me mailings with prices in EUR which we don't have of course! And I think they think that no one on the "continent" can read English so we don't get The Regent Times.

Hope all is well with you and Barbara and that you can now plan your next cruise!

Gerry

Hi, Gerry. I suggest an e-mail to society@rssc.eu directed to Sam Farrar. I am sure that after telling her of your circumstances she will sort things out.

We are not at the planning stage yet by a long way. Perhaps after the middle of January. Meanwhile I have Christmas to negotiate. All going well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I was very disappointed not to have the pleasure of meeting you and Barbara on BCN to Rio - but your health comes first! I hope and pray you're doing well.

My wife is incapacitated and will never be able to travel again. Fortunately we've been around the world a couple of times.

BCN to Rio was good, but it's just not the same sailing as a single. I made the best of it.

But MOST IMPORTANT is how you are! Get well soon and perhaps we'll meet on another cruise.

Tom, I was very disappointed not to have the pleasure of meeting you and Barbara on BCN to Rio - but your health comes first! I hope and pray you're doing well.

My wife is incapacitated and will never be able to travel again. Fortunately we've been around the world a couple of times.

BCN to Rio was good, but it's just not the same sailing as a single. I made the best of it.

But MOST IMPORTANT is how you are! Get well soon and perhaps we'll meet on another cruise.

Thanks, Ted, for those kind words. Barbara and I were disappointed not to have made the Rio trip, not least because it was an opportunity to meet up with you and all the other notabilities from Cruise Critic. It looked to be a great group.

It must be a big blow when you feel that you cannot undertake large scale travel and sharing is a big part of the pleasure.

For my part, I completed the gruelling radiotherapy and am getting over the physical aspects of the course. I didn’t foresee the other things, though I was warned. The loss of appetite, sense of taste, utter fatigue. I hope all will return but the nasty will not.

Meanwhile, I can read about others cruises and enjoy all of your quips and comments.

Thanks, Ted, for those kind words. Barbara and I were disappointed not to have made the Rio trip, not least because it was an opportunity to meet up with you and all the other notabilities from Cruise Critic. It looked to be a great group.

It must be a big blow when you feel that you cannot undertake large scale travel and sharing is a big part of the pleasure.

For my part, I completed the gruelling radiotherapy and am getting over the physical aspects of the course. I didn’t foresee the other things, though I was warned. The loss of appetite, sense of taste, utter fatigue. I hope all will return but the nasty will not.

Meanwhile, I can read about others cruises and enjoy all of your quips and comments.[/quote

TOM, a little levity:

Woman goes up to the bar and orders Scotch and water - she wants a lot of Scotch and a little water.

Bar man sez, at your age mam, you should have a little Scotch and a lot of water!

Woman sez: NO NO NO NO I want a LOT of Scotch and just a little water!

I can HOLD my Scotch!

TOM, a little levity:

Woman goes up to the bar and orders Scotch and water - she wants a lot of Scotch and a little water.

Bar man sez, at your age mam, you should have a little Scotch and a lot of water!

Woman sez: NO NO NO NO I want a LOT of Scotch and just a little water!

I can HOLD my Scotch!

As Santa Claus would say at this time of the year, Ho, Ho, Ho.

Meanwhile, I can read about others cruises and enjoy all of your quips and comments.

Tom, praying for your recovery and hoping that we can sail together again one day. Hope you both have a very Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy and happy New Year!

Tom, praying for your recovery and hoping that we can sail together again one day. Hope you both have a very Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy and happy New Year!

Thanks Jackie and DH. I emailed you but am wondering if I have landed on a defunct email address.

TOM, I hoped the little joke would raise your "spirits!"

Here's for a MERRY Xmas and HAPPY and HEALTHY NEW YEAR for you and Barbara!

Now that you have raised my spirits I wish I could "down" the spirits. But it will return. All the best to you too.

Thanks Jackie and DH. I emailed you but am wondering if I have landed on a defunct email address.

Your post prompted me to check my "CC" email address. I found emails from last August but nothing from you. Guess I haven't checked it lately - oops!

If you write to me at meettc2@gmail.com I'll send you back the email address I use every day. We would both like to keep in touch with you.

P.S. I promise to check that address and not wait for 3 or 4 months:)

Edited by Travelcat2

• 2 weeks later...

Have my wife and I made a mistake. We have paid a small fortune for the 26 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Barcelona after which the Mariner goes into wet/dry dock. I'm troubled by posts which suggest that the Mariner is looking tired. Is that so?

While I am not certain when the Mariner goes in for refurbishment (think it will be a wet dock rather than a dry dock) but the first sailing after it is refurbished will be April 7, 2014.

Assume that this will be similar to the Voyagers recent wet dock where all carpeting in public replaces was replaced, the lounges and atrium areas were redone (furniture, upholstering, etc.), and the penthouse suites were redone. Regent works on the time so everything is I good shape. It is nice when they give areas a whole "new look".

Have my wife and I made a mistake. We have paid a small fortune for the 26 day cruise from Buenos Aires to Barcelona after which the Mariner goes into wet/dry dock. I'm troubled by posts which suggest that the Mariner is looking tired. Is that so?

If it will negatively affect your cruise experience if you see some carpets that show some signs of wear, perhaps it is a mistake for you. But for most people, the small signs of wear that will be addressed in the drydock will be things either not even noticed or of no real consequence. Will you miss the blue racing stripe added to the exterior of Voyager in her most recent drydock, and presumably coming to the Mariner during heres? No. Is the ship a worn-down mess before drydock? No. Will Regent let passengers have a sub-standard experience on a long trip prior to the drydock? No.

On this board, you have some very frequent Regent customers who like to discuss every minute detail of the ships and their experiences. There's nothing wrong with that, but it sometimes makes very minor issues seem overly large in the grand scheme of Regent cruising.

-- Eric

• 2 weeks later...