Manatee at Chankanaab

Heartfruit

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've pretty much decided that Chankanaab will be my family's destination on Cozumel. And I was looking around to see if there was anything worth pre-book. Swimming with dolphins is a little above my target budget and I have some mild ethical concerns about captured dolphins. Manatee look interesting but I was wondering if anyone has experienced them. The few reviews I've found online have been mostly positive except for the pushy photography staff.

After doing the dolphin encounter at Chakanaab, they let us in with the manatees for a bit.

It was very enjoyable. The manatees are in an area similar to the dolphins. Large watery spot, surrounded by high decking. Unless you pay to be with the manatees, (or dolphins) you really can't see them.

Chakanaab is a lovely spot. A very nice day.

We did the dolphin swim and then they allowed us to go in with the manatees after that. It was awesome for my daughter. She got to pet them and feed them. They were so gentle and I guess I didn't realize that you can train them just like dolphins. They waved "hello" to us.

I have read a few reviews on here of others that have done just the manatee swim and they loved it. :)

We (me, DD, GD) did do the manatee experience exclusively in Dec of 2011. We loved it! It was more than we expected as we had an educational seminar on the manatee, we got to pet them, kiss them, and feed them. But the best part was about a 20 minute free swim with them. The guides threw out heads of lettuce and we would feed them. My GD was swarmed by three manatees and she just loved it. By the way, their photographers are all over taking pictures - but just too expensive. They would not allow non-participants to take pictures, BUT we participants were allowed to take unlimited pictures with our own water proof cameras. I should also mention there were just six people in our group which made it seem more intimate and special. I highly recommend.

We did the manatee swim there and loved it. We had the later afternoon swim and hubby and I were the only participants so we had a private swim with them. The guides explained about them and answered questions and we got a lot of interactive time swimming with and feeding them. It was really a great experience.

• 2 months later...

We did the manatee encounter on Jan. 28…. and the dolphin royal swim and sea lion discovery (encounter). We booked over the phone with Dolphin Discovery and got a little extra discount. I would pre-book again. The staff there said there were only about 200 visitors that day and it seemed near empty. On a busier day, they said they have had 1000+ visitors. If busier, I imagine it might be more difficult to walk in and get a time. The manatees was about $50 a person and includes admission to Chankanaab (usually $21).

We entered the water with life jackets (which were a pain, but it's required) and there were 3 manatees in the water. We swam away from the platform into the more open water with them. Our 8 yr old son loved it too. I had a bunch of lettuce and within seconds, the manatees were swimming under me, holding onto me with their flippers, and eating the lettuce from my hand. This was about a 50 minute experience. Amazing. Gentle giants. If I held some of the lettuce in the palm of my hand, they would move their mouth all around my hand trying to get at it. They will hold onto you with their flippers. We liked this even better than the dolphins.

All the dolphin swims included a brief 5 to 10 minute manatee interaction but that is standing on the platform in the water, not swimming with them, and not feeding them. The longer experience was so much worth it.

The staff there were wonderful. We had a small group of about 8 people. One lady panicked when she first went into the water with the manatees and was scared. The staff were incredibly patient, brought her back to the platform, and spent time with her 1 to 1 with a manatee to help her feel comfortable. Within minutes, she was enjoying the experience with the rest of us.

Photos…. yes, this is where they make their money. Cameras are no longer allowed. I paid $425 US dollars for 1 printed photo and 3 CDs of all photos for 4 people in all 3 experiences -- manatees, royal dolphin swim, sea lions. While paying that amount is crazy, I thought $50 for the manatees was a bargain. That $425 was after a lot of negotiating (which wasted some of my fun time). It's priced by the number of people and number of activities and there's some room for negotiating. The initial price quoted was near $600!!!!

We did the manatee swim there and loved it. We had the later afternoon swim and hubby and I were the only participants so we had a private swim with them. The guides explained about them and answered questions and we got a lot of interactive time swimming with and feeding them. It was really a great experience.

I agree completely. Charlie & I loved it. Our group was with one other couple so we had lots of personal time with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the manatee swim and it was the best. I went to Chankanaab on my own and I was the only one in the pool with them. They let me stay as long as I wanted. I say when a 900lb animal grabs your leg and begs for lettuce, give it to him. The guides were very informative and the animals are well cared for.

I did the manatee swim and it was the best. I went to Chankanaab on my own and I was the only one in the pool with them. They let me stay as long as I wanted. I say when a 900lb animal grabs your leg and begs for lettuce, give it to him. The guides were very informative and the animals are well cared for.

Good to know. Can you let me know how to got to Chankanaab from pier? We will be in carnival in April so I am guessing it will be Puerto Maya dock.

Did you do the 10:00 time for the manatee's? They either have a 10 or 2 according to the website and I was worried about the 2:00 being to late to get back to the ship. Also if you aren't participating can you watch the rest of them that are? Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did the 2:00 Manatee encounter in January. It was only three of us (DD, DH and me) for this. We fed the manatees, and did photo ops with them (kissing pose, holding them pose etc). A group of about 10 other people joined us, they were doing the royal dolphin encounter, and only spent a few minutes with the manatees they came in and quickly left. After tour photo op, there was time for free swim with the manatees. We skipped the free swim part because our weather was HORRIBLE. We did our encounter during a downpour and it was very cold (our weather for the week was very unusual). We are going back in May and have booked this again. We will do the free swim come he** or high water!!! :p

We did not buy any of the photos

Edited by topspot