MDR seating v. As You Wish

twroths

I dug around in many of the posts but couldn't find an answer. We will be on a 5 day W Carib on Liberty of the Seas, Dec 7. We have been on Cunard QM2 many times and RSSC. On Cunard QM2, in the MDR, there are 2 seatings and everyone dines at those times. I am a bit confused as to how the seatings work on Liberty when there is As You Wish. I did read you can make a reservation for your preferred time or do you just show up between 6 and 9, reservation or not?

As for the formal nights, we have always traveled with our tuxedos and had a great time as the great majority of the ship honors the dress code and Cunard enforces it after 6PM in the public parts of the ship. I get the impression from the boards that it seems to be about 50/50 on Liberty.

Any information would be appreciated!

Tom

In the MDR you can choose early or late seating. You may be seated at a larger table with other guests.

For My time dining you can show up anytime between Appx 6 and 9. This dining room is on a different floor than the MDR (directly above). You will most likely be sat at a table just for your group. You can also make a reservation either in advance or day by day for your preferred time. Without a reservation you may have a short wait.

Liberty has both traditional dining (2 seatings, early and late), and My Time Dining. With MTD, you can show up whenever you like, or make a standing reservation, you choice.

Traditional and MTD are in different sections of the main dining room, so you won't have MTD diners at the same table as traditional diners.

As for the formal nights, we have always traveled with our tuxedos and had a great time as the great majority of the ship honors the dress code and Cunard enforces it after 6PM in the public parts of the ship. I get the impression from the boards that it seems to be about 50/50 on Liberty.

Tom

Royal Caribbean does not "enforce" a dress code. They certainly suggest the attire for formal night - but this is normally just for dinner - in the dinning room(s). I believe I do remember the cruise compasses saying "Suggested Evening Attire", which implies for the entire evening.

Around the public areas of the ship, you will see a great many people wearing all sorts of clothes - including jeans, shorts, etc. There are cruisers who do not bring formal wear by choice, and this is perfectly fine - a good number of them just eat at Windjammers, or Johhny Rockets, or other places where the attire is not suggested formal. In fact a lot of people dress up for dinner, and then change back into "resort casual" for the other evening activities, and others will remain in their formal attire.

Either way, you fit in just fine with your tux for the evening.

Edited by Toddcan

Tom

RCCL does not have a dress code rather only a "Suggested guideline" as stated on it's website. Therefore there is nothing to enforce. Check out this link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334 There will be a mix of attire in the MDR on Formal Night. So if you enjoying wearing a tux than do so. It should also be noted that after dinner many people change into something more casual for the rest of the evening.

I dug around in many of the posts but couldn't find an answer. We will be on a 5 day W Carib on Liberty of the Seas, Dec 7. We have been on Cunard QM2 many times and RSSC. On Cunard QM2, in the MDR, there are 2 seatings and everyone dines at those times. I am a bit confused as to how the seatings work on Liberty when there is As You Wish. I did read you can make a reservation for your preferred time or do you just show up between 6 and 9, reservation or not?

Tom

I love that RCCL attitude is 'suggested evening attire' -- my hubby has to dress in a suit and tie every day for work; I have to dress for work; Vacation is our way; we won't walk into the main dining room for dinner in our bathing suit; but it might not be as formal as Tux and evening dress; we may choose to change after dinner into more casual clothes for the remainder of the evening activities....it is our vacation.

What we know is -- you will find all kinds of dress all evening long throughout the ship....and you will feel comfortable, and have a great time -- which, lets remember, is what it is ALL about!

I love that RCCL attitude is 'suggested evening attire' -- my hubby has to dress in a suit and tie every day for work; I have to dress for work; Vacation is our way; we won't walk into the main dining room for dinner in our bathing suit; but it might not be as formal as Tux and evening dress; we may choose to change after dinner into more casual clothes for the remainder of the evening activities....it is our vacation.

What we know is -- you will find all kinds of dress all evening long throughout the ship....and you will feel comfortable, and have a great time -- which, lets remember, is what it is ALL about!

Very well stated.

When you choose which seating you want, whether it's traditional (set-time) or My Time Dining, that is what you will have for the entire cruise. You can't switch between the 2 types of seating.

If you enjoy tablemates (we do!!), then pick a traditional seating time. My Time Diners tend to enjoy eating alone.

The suggested dress for the evening is only for the dining room....you'll find that alot of folks will dress as suggested, but will change after dinner....so you will see all sorts of attire throughout the ship.

When you choose which seating you want, whether it's traditional (set-time) or My Time Dining, that is what you will have for the entire cruise. You can't switch between the 2 types of seating.

If you enjoy tablemates (we do!!), then pick a traditional seating time. My Time Diners tend to enjoy eating alone.

The suggested dress for the evening is only for the dining room....you'll find that alot of folks will dress as suggested, but will change after dinner....so you will see all sorts of attire throughout the ship.

good point and thank you for the heads up.