Noordam November 15 - 25 Cruise Review

BuddyP

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to use your balcony. Perhaps if you had practiced your tuba playing or bongo drums on the balcony each time they lit up, they might have gotten the hint. :p(Then again, you may be an awesome tuba player. In that case, you might even encourage them to linger on the balcony for another smoke!):eek:

ROFL!! I wish I was that creative! :)

Thank you.

I did the on line survey and expressed our feelings regarding the smoking.

I was on the same cruise, and when I they asked on the on line survey, how soon I would take another HAL cruise I responded "never".

Of course, next ? was why, and I made it clear that it was the smell of other's smoke on my balcony.

I am 3 star, very close to 4 Mariner, and told them I will come back when they ban smoking on balconies, like every other line has.

I was on the same cruise, and when I they asked on the on line survey, how soon I would take another HAL cruise I responded "never".

Of course, next ? was why, and I made it clear that it was the smell of other's smoke on my balcony.

I am 3 star, very close to 4 Mariner, and told them I will come back when they ban smoking on balconies, like every other line has.

I essentially told them the same thing. We won't return until smoking is banned on the balconies as well in the cabins. This cruise was the worst smoking we've ever encountered. The only reasonable conclusion is smokers are flocking to HAL because other lines have banned balcony smoking. Only HAL knows if the non smoking customers they are losing are being offset by new smoking customers.

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to use your balcony. Perhaps if you had practiced your tuba playing or bongo drums on the balcony each time they lit up, they might have gotten the hint. :p(Then again, you may be an awesome tuba player. In that case, you might even encourage them to linger on the balcony for another smoke!):eek:

:-) Harmonicas are easy to pack:-)

Along with the learn to play book:-)

Okay, so now I'm REALLY nervous about our upcoming cruise. We are on Noordam Dec 23 and were thrilled to get an Aft Wrap. We had planned on spending all our time on the balcony. After reading these reports about smokers, I am regretting paying over $7,000 for something we may not enjoy using.

So if anyone is reading this who is on the Dec 23 Noordam in an aft balcony, please I beg you from the bottom of my heart, please please please go to the designated smoking area up on deck. Please please please don't ruin it for those of us who don't smoke.

Okay, so now I'm REALLY nervous about our upcoming cruise. We are on Noordam Dec 23 and were thrilled to get an Aft Wrap. We had planned on spending all our time on the balcony. After reading these reports about smokers, I am regretting paying over $7,000 for something we may not enjoy using.

So if anyone is reading this who is on the Dec 23 Noordam in an aft balcony, please I beg you from the bottom of my heart, please please please go to the designated smoking area up on deck. Please please please don't ruin it for those of us who don't smoke.

+1for the Feb.7, 2014 cruise...

Thanks for the review, I think it's very fair. The smoking issue is very contentious and I totally understand why that would be both upsetting and a turn-off for future cruises. (just like other things would be turn-offs for other cruisers). It does seem like HAL is taking on the rejected smokers from the many other lines that have changed their balcony smoking policies.

Yes, thanks for your post. I just returned to cruising after a long hiatus and immediately noticed the reduced staff, long delays in the MDR and problems ordering drinks in the bar..specifically the crows nest but others too. We had smokers next to our SZ suite. That thought didn't cross my mind when we booked it, however they were not chain smokers so we found ways to entertain ourselves indoors or on top for that half hour or so. We have always sailed HAL for Many reasons, but I'm curious if the same cuts have been made on all lines. I definitely miss all of the personal touches and now that HAL changed the wine policy I might consider other lines. I guess I need to read the other boards for comparison. Does anyone here have direct experience?

Yes, thanks for your post. I just returned to cruising after a long hiatus and immediately noticed the reduced staff, long delays in the MDR and problems ordering drinks in the bar..specifically the crows nest but others too. We had smokers next to our SZ suite. That thought didn't cross my mind when we booked it, however they were not chain smokers so we found ways to entertain ourselves indoors or on top for that half hour or so. We have always sailed HAL for Many reasons, but I'm curious if the same cuts have been made on all lines. I definitely miss all of the personal touches and now that HAL changed the wine policy I might consider other lines. I guess I need to read the other boards for comparison. Does anyone here have direct experience?

I regularly cruise with Princess. In the past 2 years, they have restricted smoking on the balconies. Here is the rub... sometimes people still smoke on the balconies-- and unless someone reports them, they get away with it. This is very, very difficult to enforce!

Thanks for the review, I think it's very fair. The smoking issue is very contentious and I totally understand why that would be both upsetting and a turn-off for future cruises. (just like other things would be turn-offs for other cruisers). It does seem like HAL is taking on the rejected smokers from the many other lines that have changed their balcony smoking policies.

I agree HAL is attracting rejected balcony smokers from other cruise lines. HAL is being called "Ashtray of the Seas'. Unfortunate. :(

Edited by sail7seas

I regularly cruise with Princess. In the past 2 years, they have restricted smoking on the balconies. Here is the rub... sometimes people still smoke on the balconies-- and unless someone reports them, they get away with it. This is very, very difficult to enforce!

I, for one, will complain loudly if I have smokers who break the rules and smoke in their cabin or on the balcony on my next Princess cruise. Not only will I complain loudly but if they don't comply, I have my own ways of making their lives miserable.:D

Thank you for the review.

We, too, were bothered by smoking from a balcony next to ours on our recent cruise. Before this, I had decided to do Outside or Inside rooms because of the smoking, but caved in on this Med TA cruise. I totally agree with you.

On the issue of lack of bartenders and wine stewards, they're no longer going to allow us to bring our own wine on board...and yet, they're cutting back in this department. Now that makes a lot of sense...not! So, not only will we not be able to enjoy a glass of wine on the verandah but we won't have adequate staff to serve us!

Thank you for the review.

We, too, were bothered by smoking from a balcony next to ours on our recent cruise. Before this, I had decided to do Outside or Inside rooms because of the smoking, but caved in on this Med TA cruise. I totally agree with you.

On the issue of lack of bartenders and wine stewards, they're no longer going to allow us to bring our own wine on board...and yet, they're cutting back in this department. Now that makes a lot of sense...not! So, not only will we not be able to enjoy a glass of wine on the verandah but we won't have adequate staff to serve us!

can't you buy a bottle of wine on board?, and have it delivered to your cabin? then you can still enjoy it on your balcony!

IF there are smokers next to your balcony, and that is disturbing to you, wouldn't it be acceptable to ask the persons to kindly not smoke when you

are out on the balcony??? I know some people can really be nasty when you suggest something like that, but it is worth a try, NO?

IF there are smokers next to your balcony, and that is disturbing to you, wouldn't it be acceptable to ask the persons to kindly not smoke when you

are out on the balcony??? I know some people can really be nasty when you suggest something like that, but it is worth a try, NO?

You are absolutely correct- in theory. Unfortunately, in practice, not everyone is so considerate or reasonable.

The sad truth is people on both sides of the argument are VERY passionate about this topic and their rights. It would be so utopian if a "smoking balcony" and a "non-smoking balcony" could have a quick conversation and set some boundaries.

For example- the smokers could say, "I would like to smoke on the balcony each morning from 9 to 9:30 as I drink my coffee". The non-smoker could counter with "we enjoy cocktails on our balcony from 5:00 to 5:30 each evening. Would you mind refraining from smoking during that time?" It would be wondrous if this could happen-- and I will continue to hold out hope that most people are decent and want to come to a solution.

With that said, I am in a VB gty in December. I have my fingers-crossed that I am not next to balcony smokers.

They were doing nothing wrong per HAL's policy. I saw no reason to risk a confrontation because they were allowed to smoke on their balcony. Many lines have fixed the problem for those of us who do not smoke. It's not a difficult problem for us to solve. HAL has the right to allow smoking on the balconies and we have the right to sail elsewhere. We will miss all the things we like about HAL, but we are never going to deal with that stench again.

You are absolutely correct- in theory. Unfortunately, in practice, not everyone is so considerate or reasonable.

The sad truth is people on both sides of the argument are VERY passionate about this topic and their rights. It would be so utopian if a "smoking balcony" and a "non-smoking balcony" could have a quick conversation and set some boundaries.

For example- the smokers could say, "I would like to smoke on the balcony each morning from 9 to 9:30 as I drink my coffee". The non-smoker could counter with "we enjoy cocktails on our balcony from 5:00 to 5:30 each evening. Would you mind refraining from smoking during that time?" It would be wondrous if this could happen-- and I will continue to hold out hope that most people are decent and want to come to a solution.

With that said, I am in a VB gty in December. I have my fingers-crossed that I am not next to balcony smokers.

I was a smoker for 30+ years, I can handle the stench, not that it is my favorite odor, but If at the time I were a smoker, someone asked me to refrain, or go elsewhere to smoke, I certainly would try to grant their request.... I wonder how many of the complainers, even bother to say something to the offender!! I think your scenario is a good one, and worth

a try at least!! I find most people just want to get along!!

I really don't care one way or another bout the smoking issue . I have sailed on 3 different lines . All had different smoking policies . HAL allows smoking on balconies/verandas . This is well known to most . It surprises me that on the HAL ship most of the rude people and complainers were the few who had a big problem with it .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really don't care one way or another bout the smoking issue . I have sailed on 3 different lines . All had different smoking policies . HAL allows smoking on balconies/verandas . This is well known to most . It surprises me that on the HAL ship most of the rude people and complainers were the few who had a big problem with it .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure why that would surprise you? It is something that hugely affects the enjoyment of one's cruise. I for one, take 1 vacation a year, and I hugely covet those precious days. I would not bitch, moan and complain if your insistence of enjoying your rights did not have negative impacts on mine.