Debate-Should Couples/Groups Buy Studio Cabins?

sunbird21

I am of the opinion that if that is what a husband and wife (or couple) want, than who are we to judge. As a matter of fact I booked two studios with an adjoining door in between for myself and my DH back in November, 2010. The main reason I did that was because NCL was offering a deal too good to be true. The price that we paid for our two studios ($462.00 per studio room, including taxes/port charges)was far less than if we had booked even a cheap inside room. The additional bonus on the offer for us was that we had "2" of everything. I must admit that the only thing that wasn't used was the bed in his room, as the bed was more than adequate in my room for the both of us. We are smaller in size, and did not feel cramped in the bed, which I might add, was very comfortable. It was great for DH having his "own" shower and toilet and me having mine. No waiting for one another to finish. Now on the other hand, if I chose to cruise "solo" and could afford one of the "aft balconies, penthouse suites, etc." I would not hesitate to do so.

As a matter of fact I booked two studios with an adjoining door in between for myself and my DH back in November, 2010.
Adjoining studios! This idea is sounding better and better! :D

I just checked the BA deck plans, and it turns out that the majority of the studios are actually adjoining. So NCL is in fact catering to groups of two people traveling together and booking two studios.

I understand that we all have a right to book whatever we like or can afford. But affordability is what made the studio concept popular to singles. Couples have an advantage because of the old saying that two can live as cheaply as one. But more and more people today are staying unmarried and kind of get sick of paying that damn single supplement, which actually means that solos pay double for their cabin, even though they hopefully ( ;)) eat half as much, use half as much space, water, and other resources. So if we are to fully follow the concept that every cabin can be booked by whoever can book it first then let me pose this admittedly awful question: "what makes handicapped people a "special" class? If somebody else comes along and "selfishly" books one of the limited handicapped cabins for themselves because they like the extra room and they get there first then tough noogies on the handicapped. Where is it any different really? Personally, I sail alone. I don't want a studio cabin OR a handicap cabin for that matter, but I do think that single people should have the right to a few perks too. Maybe they should charge a MARRIED supplement and make couples pay DOUBLE. Maybe families with three kids should pay five times as much because kids are annoying. Maybe the elderly should pay more because they move too slow and their walkers get in the way. Maybe we need fat people cabins because they take up more room and eat as much as two. :eek: Hell, I don't like this whole conversation. It's selfish as hell no matter what way you look at it. I think I need my UBP right now and I'm home. :mad:

OK,I'm not usually an instigator,but I've been reviewing threads for research for my upcoming trip,and I've come across a portion of reviews that have left me unsettled. So,for the sake of argument,I'm opening it up to debate.

NCL has introduced the concept of studio cabins for SOLO travelers,in order to make cruising more affordable for those who do not have partners,do not have partners/friends/family that will travel,or whatever. Its obviosuly been a great idea,as they've introduced it to Breakaway,Getaway,and even another well known line that shall remain nameless is incorporating them into their new mega ship.

However,I've read a LOT of reviews where these cabins are being purchased by groups of people,whether it be friends or family,that simply like the idea of having their "own" space. Astonishingly,I've seen a few where COUPLES buy two studios for this reason,or to have extra storage/bathroom facilites.Some of those reviews commented on how nice it was to have a bed to themselves...I'm sorry,but if you are traveling with a spouse/partner and need separate sleeping arrangements,maybe your relationship needs something other than a cruise.

With only 59 cabins available,it doesnt seem fair to me that a solo traveler would either have to choose a different time to cruise or pay more for an inside cabin because people that ARE in the position to be able to take advantage of the bigger cabins at decent prices choose to monopolize something thats geared for those who aren't. It also defeats the purpose of the studio lounge/solo gathering to an extent b/c those groups/couples dont attend those activities,and the coordinators are likely to stop hosting them if they get accustomed to non-solos staying in the studios.This would take away another aspect from the true solo travelers trying to meet up with other people.

Interested to hear feedback on this...

Stacey

Would you also bar a couple from booking a two bedroom cabin or a quadruple cabin? Would you bar a solo from booking a two-bedroom cabin because they wanted the extra space and could afford it?

Where would you draw the line for bookings? Personally, I don't think there is a problem. Do you know a solo person who couldn't book a studio where some of the studios were purchased by non-solos?

Since NCL doesn't state "solos only" I don't see a problem.

I understand that we all have a right to book whatever we like or can afford. But affordability is what made the studio concept popular to singles. Couples have an advantage because of the old saying that two can live as cheaply as one. But more and more people today are staying unmarried and kind of get sick of paying that damn single supplement, which actually means that solos pay double for their cabin, even though they hopefully ( ;)) eat half as much, use half as much space, water, and other resources. So if we are to fully follow the concept that every cabin can be booked by whoever can book it first then let me pose this admittedly awful question: "what makes handicapped people a "special" class? If somebody else comes along and "selfishly" books one of the limited handicapped cabins for themselves because they like the extra room and they get there first then tough noogies on the handicapped. Where is it any different really? Personally, I sail alone. I don't want a studio cabin OR a handicap cabin for that matter, but I do think that single people should have the right to a few perks too. Maybe they should charge a MARRIED supplement and make couples pay DOUBLE. Maybe families with three kids should pay five times as much because kids are annoying. Maybe the elderly should pay more because they move too slow and their walkers get in the way. Maybe we need fat people cabins because they take up more room and eat as much as two. :eek: Hell, I don't like this whole conversation. It's selfish as hell no matter what way you look at it. I think I need my UBP right now and I'm home. :mad:

I only agree with one of your analogies, but I am not stupid enough to tell you which one!!!:D

I think the OP's point is more related to how many solos would actually be left after groups/etc...

For example on my cruise of 59 studios, possibly 8-9 were filled up by a family. So that leaves 50 people max to attend studio gatherings.

Note, a large portion of people might not want to attend these-

I found we had around 20-25% attendance on both of my cruises.

I hung out with consistently around 8 of the people the entire week, and met some CC people.

When I was on the Epic of 128 studios, same ration- around 20-25% regulars, we averaged dinner groups of around 15-18, on the Breakaway we averaged 5-8 for dinner but I had lunches with CC Roll call people.

Now, I ended up upgrading to a balcony a week before for the Breakaway- so someone could argue I shouldn't be able to have one being a solo.

My final opinion is the following, it is not my business or concern who books what. Many famailies want an extra room for a family member- hey if they are paying for it they are entitled to it.

My hope is they would consider going to 192 or 256 studios on subsequent trips, more for everyone.

Now, although I upgraded I still attended the gatherings.

I think as long as you have at least a few solos to hang out with, it is easier meeting more non-solos.

I do not think it is relevant who books what, because there are many people who book solos who have no interest in attending the studio solo functions to begin with. Personally, I went to most of them but I could see where someone more introverted would just want to do their own thing

I agree to some extent, that these rooms should be for solo travelers, especially since the studio lounge is centered around solo meet and greet and that kind of thing. But then again I see the point that solo travelers can also book larger rooms (and pay more). I don't like the idea of large groups booking the solo's, but then again booked cabins make NCL rich.

When I was in the studios, it was mostly solo travelers, and those in studios got together more than those who came to the gatherings but from other rooms. Just because we saw each other more often hanging out in the lounge.

I agree to some extent, that these rooms should be for solo travelers, especially since the studio lounge is centered around solo meet and greet and that kind of thing. But then again I see the point that solo travelers can also book larger rooms (and pay more). I don't like the idea of large groups booking the solo's, but then again booked cabins make NCL rich.

When I was in the studios, it was mostly solo travelers, and those in studios got together more than those who came to the gatherings but from other rooms. Just because we saw each other more often hanging out in the lounge.

I have been on the EPIC twice as a solo traveler. Once in a studio and one in an inside cabin (when the inside cabin was cheaper even with the supplement). I agree with the concept that if a couple wants to book two connected studios, go for it. If they are paying customers and all the safety restrictions are followed then why impose unnecessary restrictions.

Even if you wanted to police this it is impossible. When I have been in the studio there have been other single travelers who had other family members on the ship. Friends who have no romantic relationship with each other going on a vacation together and booking separate cabins. There is no reasonable way to enforce the requirement that only solo travelers book the studios.

The solution to the problem the OP identified is build more studio into the new ships. They are obviously popular.

The common area for the studio, it is a nice concept. I think it is under utilized. I was on the Epic in a port intensive Mediterranean cruise. What was nice is the continental breakfast setup they had. A bit more selection would be nice, but I found most mornings I would just go down make a latte grab a danish or two and some orange juice without any crowds.

I could see passengers with larger cabins also liking the concept.

A little background on the Studios. They were introduced on the Epic and not originally marketed to solo passengers. They were bargain priced inside cabins and marketed like any other cabin targeting double occupancy. NCL stumbled into the solo marketing idea by originally waving the single supplement. Since then they have raised the prices so in fact the solo fares are equal to a 50-75% single supplement. Sometimes the larger inside cabins with 100% single supplement are just about the same price.

The net they are not only marketed to solo cruises but any cruiser that wants a room to themselves often for those that can not fit the whole family in one cabin or suite.

This is the best answer!

As pointed out, the studio cabins for solo travelers happened by accident. They were meant to be double occupancy. But they got raked over the coals for how small they were, and suddenly they were in the solo market ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My two cents on the solo cabins. I booked a solo cabin on Epic's 3rd Caribbean cruise. I did not fall-in with the solo crowd, as they tended to meet at the same time that I had pre-booked my dinner reservations.

There seemed to be a few groups of gays and lesbians who booked the solo cabins, and they seemed to be having a really good time. I admit to ease-dropping over breakfast or coffee on their discussions of their various exploits. Very humorous.

:(One of the things that I did not like was that the ship's staff gave frequent tours of the solo cabins and living room to other passengers. I realize that they are a novelty in the industry, but I now know what it is like to be a zoo animal.

:(I also did not like that the ship's staff frequently used the living room to have a coffee and socialize. There even seemed to be a crew member who was an IT tech and used the living room as his personal office.

At one time they put up a sign to restrict teens from using the living room for free coffee and as a hang-out. I only wish that their staff had also respected our privacy. Surely on a ship the size of Epic they have rooms to socialize for the staff.

The solo cabins themselves are fine, although the price is not much better than an inside cabin with the supplement included.

Since I was with myself, I did not have a problem with the bathroom arrangements. Indeed, surprisingly the solo's have more privacy with a solid-walled toilet room than the glassed-walled toilets in shared cabins.

The shower was a tight squeeze for a 6 ft. tall man, but I got use to it. I did not use the sink, but it is probably too close to the bed.

I did not like the circular window into the hallway, but fortunately you can close it for privacy. The exotic lighting is a little too weird for my taste.

There is really no room between the bed and the wall of cabinets beside it. Although there is a stool, it is not very convenient for sitting.

The bed is really big (even for two people) and comfortable. It takes up most of the room. The mirror on the inter-cabin door makes the room feel much bigger than it is.

There is so much to do on the Epic that, in the end, I did not really spend a lot of time in the cabin.

IMHO!

Richard

Edited by ReginaGentleman
Corrrrrection

Wow - sarcasm aside (and noted) there is a twinge of envy seen here. It is sad when I see those that don't believe in capitalism. To think that someone deserves anything more than someone else is a horrid place to be. I guess freedom is a dying thing.:(

Hi Everyone,

My two cents on the solo cabins. I booked a solo cabin on Epic's 3rd Caribbean cruise. I did not fall-in with the solo crowd, as they tended to meet at the same time that I had pre-booked my dinner reservations.

There seemed to be a few groups of gays and lesbians who booked the solo cabins, and they seemed to be having a really good time. I admit to ease-dropping over breakfast or coffee on their discussions of their various exploits. Very humorous.

:(One of the things that I did not like was that the ship's staff gave frequent tours of the solo cabins and living room to other passengers. I realize that they are a novelty in the industry, but I now know what it is like to be a zoo animal.

:(I also did not like that the ship's staff frequently used the living room to have a coffee and socialize. There even seemed to be a crew member who was an IT tech and used the living room as his personal office.

At one time they put up a sign to restrict teens from using the living room for free coffee and as a hang-out. I only wish that their staff had also respected our privacy. Surely on a ship the size of Epic they have rooms to socialize for the staff.

The solo cabins themselves are fine, although the price is not much better than an inside cabin with the supplement included.

Since I was with myself, I did not have a problem with the bathroom arrangements. Indeed, surprisingly the solo's have more privacy with a solid-walled toilet room than the glassed-walled toilets in shared cabins.

The shower was a tight squeeze for a 6 ft. tall man, but I got use to it. I did not use the sink, but it is probably too close to the bed.

I did not like the circular window into the hallway, but fortunately you can close it for privacy. The exotic lighting is a little too weird for my taste.

There is really no room between the bed and the wall of cabinets beside it. Although there is a stool, it is not very convenient for sitting.

The bed is really big (even for two people) and comfortable. It takes up most of the room. The mirror on the inter-cabin door makes the room feel much bigger than it is.

There is so much to do on the Epic that, in the end, I did not really spend a lot of time in the cabin.

IMHO!

Richard

Interesting info, thanks. Your message may have gotten across. The Epic TA we were on had a cabin crawl like you mentioned. While we were all over the Haven, a staff member would not let us enter the living room/lounge area for the solo cabins.