Mumbai - Time To Exit Ship

wristband

Per schedule, Nautica will "arrive" Mumbai at 8:00 am. Our local guide believes it takes 90+ minutes to clear customs and plans a port pickup (2 hours later) at 10 am.

On past Asia cruises, depending on local customs & immigration, we typically exit the ship within 1 hour of the stated “arrival.” Due to brutal mid-day heat, I hope to start as early as possible. No tender & Nautica will dock at two India ports prior to Mumbai.

For those who have docked in Mumbai, what is a reasonable a.m. pick up? My sense is waiting 2 hours after "arrival" is too long - your thoughts?

Per schedule, Nautica will "arrive" Mumbai at 8:00 am. Our local guide believes it takes 90+ minutes to clear customs and plans a port pickup (2 hours later) at 10 am.

On past Asia cruises, depending on local customs & immigration, we typically exit the ship within 1 hour of the stated “arrival.” Due to brutal mid-day heat, I hope to start as early as possible. No tender & Nautica will dock at two India ports prior to Mumbai.

For those who have docked in Mumbai, what is a reasonable a.m. pick up? My sense is waiting 2 hours after "arrival" is too long - your thoughts?

ALWAYS take the word of your Guide, who after all has done this type of thing day in and day out for YEARS (why else would you have hired him?).

Micromanaging is the single worst mistake that people make when planning a Private Tour.

You have hired a professional to do a job; allow him to do it.

As I understand it, India (with its fondness for bureaucracy) has to process passengers as they disembark at EVERY port no matter if they have been to a previous Indian port the day before... Hence the two hours. Do what your guide says. He knows!

We were in Mumbai this past April on Nautica. Docked at 8am and with our private tour guide before 9am without any problems.

Perhaps things have changed since then and your guide is being extra cautious. Could you meet at 9am and if your not off the ship until 10am they just have to wait? You're paying them for their time anyway. Just a thought.

Bring extra water, it is very hot. Enjoy your tour!

Hi

In previous visits we have organised private tours in Cochin and Mumbai and never had an issue with getting off boat. As people have said just follow guides instructions.

Also in Mumbai the tour companies have to get permission to come onto the wharf area which is a distance from the gate.

Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful (and somewhat contradictory) comments - much appreciated.

We have agreed - guide & I - for the guide to be aside Nautica at 9 am, one hour after the posted arrival time. If we can exit at that time, great, but if not our guide will cheerfully await our arrival smoking a big cheroot in their tuk tuk.

Thank you all for your prompt and thoughtful (and somewhat contradictory) comments - much appreciated.

We have agreed - guide & I - for the guide to be aside Nautica at 9 am, one hour after the posted arrival time. If we can exit at that time, great, but if not our guide will cheerfully await our arrival smoking a big cheroot in their tuk tuk.

If I remember, they don't allow autorickshaws in the downtown part of Mumbai, just out in the suburbs. I presume you were kidding.