Christmas on HAL, specifically MDR

shrimp56

We're Zuiderdaming it for Christmas. Our cabin door will be decorated etc...

But what about xmas day meals? Does the MDR serve a special meal at lunch or dinner?

Will there be a carol sing? Etc...

Carol King? Carol Burnette? Carroll O'Conner? Probably not.

Ha. Ha. Ok the next question if we can work it out can we organize one?

AND the food question is the biggie.

Yes there is christmas dinner in the main dining room.There will also Carol

singing by the crew plus Santa in the main showroom at sea with presents for the childern,just like at home,DW and I will spending Christmas on board the Ryndam.Have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Merry Christmas.

Jim.:D:D:D:D

Edited by irishjim

We have been at sea twice for Christmas and loved it! Everything is decorated to the nines, there is church Christmas Eve and everyone seemed to put a little more effort into dressing for dinner. One year, right after a hurricane had hit, I think it was Grand Turk, the ship hosted a group of young children for a Christmas party. There are lots of families on board but as I recall we had no problems with unruly children. It has become my favorite way to spend Christmas...stress free! All the normal Christmas food was available in the M DR.

We spent Christmas on the Oosterdam last year, boarding on the 19th, December.

That evening at 7.30 pm, the Tree Lighting Ceremony was held in the Atrium, seasonal songs were sung, the cruise director asked a small child to switch on the lights.

Christmas Eve was a "formal optional" night, with a special meal, followed by a Parade of the Yule Log.

Christmas Day was a Formal Night, with a red ribbon across the Dining table, no flowers on tables, there was a Christmas Cracker for each passenger.

There were numerous decorations around the ship.

The Christmas Eve dinner in the MDR is fantastic! Sort of an international menu with some really outstanding offerings. Much better than the Christmas dinner: most seemed to be having turkey that night. That menu was more like for a Formal Night

Short carol singing in the atrium, with mulled wine and cookies. The bar guys who were serving were completely overwhelmed by the number of pax who showed up for this. Get there early!

Christmas day had a Santa visit in the Show Lounge with eggnog.

The decorations throughout the ship are outstanding!

(Things do vary by ship, so you need to be aware.)

Have a super time!

I am remembering Christmas Eve to be the more festive dinner than Christmas Day itself on an Oosterdam cruise a few years ago. Anyone else remember it that way? Not sure why and I think Christmas day itself was a sea day. I assumed it was meant to be more of a family day in the cabins for presents etc, instead of anything special in the MDR.

On the Veendam this year, we will be in port on Christmas Day itself when many things will be closed so that will make it interesting as well. Though Puerto Vallarta goes all out for Christmas decorations since this is a big holiday vacation time for them so I wonder how closed up tight things will be after all.

So part of activities on Christmas Day itself may well make a difference, if it is a sea day or a port day.

We have been at sea twice for Christmas and loved it! Everything is decorated to the nines, there is church Christmas Eve and everyone seemed to put a little more effort into dressing for dinner. One year, right after a hurricane had hit, I think it was Grand Turk, the ship hosted a group of young children for a Christmas party. There are lots of families on board but as I recall we had no problems with unruly children. It has become my favorite way to spend Christmas...stress free! All the normal Christmas food was available in the M DR.

Ah, but define "normal Christmas food". For my family, our traditional dinner is identical to Thanksgiving. But for many others, turkey and dressing isn't "normal Christmas food" but roast or ham or something other than turkey and dressing.

Thank you to those who have shared their experiences. We are sailing on HAL for Christmas for the first time this year (we usually sail Princess at the holidays) and it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

Ah, but define "normal Christmas food". For my family, our traditional dinner is identical to Thanksgiving. But for many others, turkey and dressing isn't "normal Christmas food" but roast or ham or something other than turkey and dressing.

Wiki to the rescue even for "thanksgiving dinner" if one wants to understand terms in general usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_dinner

If you have open dining, ask on embarkation day about Christmas Eve and Christmas day dinner reservations. Make these reservations as soon as possible. We assumed wrongly on a Chrstmas & New Year's cruise that dinner reservations for those days would be done normally (meaning at most 2 or 3 days ahead). The same applies to New Year's Eve. Also, the lido may be closed to passengers for dinner on either Christmas Eve or Christmas.

Wiki to the rescue even for "thanksgiving dinner" if one wants to understand terms in general usage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_dinner

But Thanksgiving is not Christmas... so I'm not sure what that shows. The question is about Christmas dinner. They are two different types of meals in my experience and family and friends history. Christmas makes me think of prime rib and other luxurious foods with rich and decadent candies and deserts.