Celebrity as ala carte Ferry?

JLSPOOL

Just a few thoughts from an "old-timer"

We began cruising when some of the cruise ships were really ferries that were stretched out by being cut in the middle and an extra section added. One was an NCL ship (when they were still a civilized line) and the other was the Nordic Prince, a Royal Caribbean ship. I did get a laugh from the OP's use of the term "ferries" as I really sailed on them.

Way back in the days of no balconies and no buffet, cruising was very much a fantasy life. Three meals a day were eaten in the main dining room at an assigned table. There were two seatings, but no open seating.

A midnight buffet was held every night.

People dressed nicely for dinner. The gentlemen wore jackets (it was expected) every night and a tuxedo was required of them on formal nights.

To we parents of 6 teenagers working extra jobs and hours to save for their college and our retirement, a cruise was a giant step from our daily lives into a fantasy life where we could shed our daily cares, be pampered by an attentive crew, and pretend we were the hoy paloy (sp)

For this flight from reality, we paid about the same as the fares are today, decades later.

As for disenchantment with the Caribbean, I totally understand. We have been to just about every cruise port island. They all blend in together. If you are not into water sports, swimming with various aquatic animals, hanging from forests, and other active pursuits the only other activity is shopping at identical chain jewelry stores. ;)

The Caribbean has been changed by the cruise industry. We first sailed to Grand Cayman in the very early 1990s. There was nothing in the port but one duty free shop. We rented a car and drove around the island. When we returned there a few years ago, I could not believe how built up and congested the port had become. It seemed dedicated to parting cruise passenger's from their money, just like most other Caribbean ports.

We now seek out interesting itineraries where, :eek:, we have to fly to and from, but there is much more to see and do than Diamonds International. As a matter of fact, there are NO Diamonds International at those ports.:D

Janet -- thanks for putting things in perspective, and the great walk down memory lane! :cool: Your description of Grand Cayman is exactly how I remember Freeport in the Bahamas, back in the 80's! BTW -- how are you doing? Hope you are finished with treatments, and getting your strength back, for your upcoming cruises!

-- Suzanne

As for disenchantment with the Caribbean, I totally understand. We have been to just about every cruise port island. They all blend in together. If you are not into water sports, swimming with various aquatic animals, hanging from forests, and other active pursuits the only other activity is shopping at identical chain jewelry stores. ;)

We now seek out interesting itineraries where, :eek:, we have to fly to and from, but there is much more to see and do than Diamonds International. As a matter of fact, there are NO Diamonds International at those ports.:D

Thanks. We were surprised (not in a good way), that Diamonds International is even omnipresent on Alaska cruises!

So where are these places you go that avoid them?

Thanks. We were surprised (not in a good way), that Diamonds International is even omnipresent on Alaska cruises!

So where are these places you go that avoid them?

Europe. Asia, South America, Australia, New Zealand. The next one is to Central America.

We were so disappointed in Alaska. It was the Caribbean of the North.

Janet -- thanks for putting things in perspective, and the great walk down memory lane! :cool: Your description of Grand Cayman is exactly how I remember Freeport in the Bahamas, back in the 80's! BTW -- how are you doing? Hope you are finished with treatments, and getting your strength back, for your upcoming cruises!

-- Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Had my last chemo on September 20, but the chemo devastated my entire body and I wound up in the hospital from 9/27 until 10/31. I had to get numerous blood transfusions and packets of platelets as well as nutrition and other drugs through the porta cath. Not a pleasant time, but capitulation is not in my nature.;)

The chemo did work and we are celebrating my clean PET scan with no evidence of cancer by taking this cruise. I only hope my hair grows back by then. :D

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Hi Suzanne,

Had my last chemo on September 20, but the chemo devastated my entire body and I wound up in the hospital from 9/27 until 10/31. I had to get numerous blood transfusions and packets of platelets as well as nutrition and other drugs through the porta cath. Not a pleasant time, but capitulation is not in my nature.;)

The chemo did work and we are celebrating my clean PET scan with no evidence of cancer by taking this cruise. I only hope my hair grows back by then. :D

Congrats. My wife does chemo evey Monday for three Mondays, and then is off for one Monday. At present she is also doing brain radiation, which she has also done about four other times within the last three years. Our only hope for another cruise is remission, which does not appear very probably at this time. On the other hand, my oncologist son opines that the advances made in cancer treatment are outstanding.

Europe. Asia, South America, Australia, New Zealand. The next one is to Central America.

We were so disappointed in Alaska. It was the Caribbean of the North.

Except for the jewelry stores (which were actually fairly easy to avoid), we were pretty wowed by Alaska. Not among those who fell in love and are already planning a return, but wowed. Denali (had great weather), Glacier Bay, flightseeing (twice) -- every day was another amazing nature vista.

Hi Suzanne,

Oh Janet -- I'm so sorry to hear that you had to spend a whole month in the hospital! :( But, what a relief that your last test results were positive. :) Just remember -- hair grows back. In the meantime, you should take a page from Lady Gaga's book, and go out and buy a fabulous wig -- or two! Hope that you have a fabulous cruise! :cool:

Hi Suzanne,

I feel like I'm intruding but thank you for the reminder that there are more important issues then a new loyalty plan, declining ship standards or whatever minor issues arise.

My Grandfather used to say nothing is more important then good health. I now get it.

Good luck and good health.:)

Edited by richstowe

Hi Suzanne,

Kellie Poodle,

The chemo worked !!!!! Thanks for sharing your good news about the clean PET scan. Your good news is a gift to many for the holiday season.

Your earlier post addresses some issues we've had about the repetitive ship offerings and the need for port variety.

This thread stimulates conversation about mixing up the itineraries for the Florida round trip season.

As Kitty9 posted, we can't build another island.

Celebrity can take a look at what is currently available.

A new thread will commence the port conversation.

Thank you for the recollections about the older ships and your teens getting their sea legs for their "fantasy" cruises. They will be surprised at the improvements in ship life over the last ten years.

Enjoy the Central American cruise.

jls

This is laughable. The only cruise line with a business model that attempted to mimic that of a ferry company is easyCruise, and that company folded some years ago.

If you believe that a Celebrity cruise, or indeed any cruise voyage is an 'ala carte ferry' then I implore you to take a cross-channel ferry and a voyage on even the most basic of cruise liners back-to-back, then attempt to logically compare the two. I am sure you would find it to be an impossibility.

While I have heard many, many complaints over the years about the prices of all the 'extras' that mass-market cruise lines have begun to include aboard their ships in recent years, I have always maintained my belief that this is good for the consumer, not bad. It is the same argument that can be used when individuals bemoan the reduction of quality of intercontinental Economy Class on most global airlines. It is indeed my belief that airline travel has become both more comfortable, and more accessible over the past few years. While it is indeed true that the Economy Class cabins of yesteryear were somewhat more comfortable than their modern-day counterparts, if one was to look at a KLM or Pan Am fare from the 1970s, it would comfortably equal (inflation adjusted), if not exceed a Business Class fare today on the same route. As such, if one is willing to pay the same today for the coach cabins of a bygone era, they would find themselves in far more comfortable surroundings. On the other hand, the reduction of prices (I understand this is not too true for the US-EU TATL market, but for all other markets it is) means that a whole set of people that previously would have been unable to fly, can.

In a way this same logic can be used in the case of the mass market cruise lines. On ships of yesteryear, almost everything that one would find aboard a ship was included in one's cruise fare. This mainly included food in the guise of the main dining room and a buffet, as well as all entertainment. The ships were smaller, and perhaps more intimate. Similarly, the prices were higher. Some may argue that main dining room fare was of a better quality- in some cases, such as that of NCL, this may be the case- I did not experience the product prior to the Freestyle changes, so I cannot comment. Nonetheless, food is subjective. Ultimately, the cruise lines realised that they can better compete by providing more choice. Choice of different restaurants, different forms of entertainment, and different lounges/venues. To these so called 'speciality' venues, they added a fee. If anything, this has given the mass-market cruiser more choice. What was included then is still included now, that much has remained the same. Perhaps it is the fact that long time cruisers are used to not having to spend a penny aboard the ship after purchasing the cruise fare that has generated discontent. Then again, I could use the same Business Class argument above- if one was to pay what you would for a Celebrity or Cunard cruise in 1994 today, inflation adjusted, you could find yourself on Crystal, where the quality of the product far exceeds what was offered to the passenger then. The realities is, we are paying less today to cruise (granted not less than in 2008-10, but less nonetheless). What was included in the fare has remained included- on the other hand, cruise lines are offering revenue generating activities that were never previously included (for they did not exist), for a small fee. If one wishes to avoid such activities, then all one needs to do is to leave them unused. It is as simple as that.

So no, the Celebrity Reflection and the Spirit of France share little other than the fact that both float, have a Captain, an engine and a crew.

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

Congrats. My wife does chemo evey Monday for three Mondays, and then is off for one Monday. At present she is also doing brain radiation, which she has also done about four other times within the last three years. Our only hope for another cruise is remission, which does not appear very probably at this time. On the other hand, my oncologist son opines that the advances made in cancer treatment are outstanding.

My heart is with you, both. I have had radiation for a prior, unrelated cancer and neither radiation nor chemo are easy.

Oh Janet -- I'm so sorry to hear that you had to spend a whole month in the hospital! :( But, what a relief that your last test results were positive. :) Just remember -- hair grows back. In the meantime, you should take a page from Lady Gaga's book, and go out and buy a fabulous wig -- or two! Hope that you have a fabulous cruise! :cool:

I have a wig. It looks fine, but it itches. I have a cap for inside, but the hair at the edges is damned itchy. I only wear when I go out or have company.

I feel like I'm intruding but thank you for the reminder that there are more important issues then a new loyalty plan, declining ship standards or whatever minor issues arise.

My Grandfather used to say nothing is more important then good health. I now get it.

Good luck and good health.:)

Thank you and BRAVO! While my response to Suzanne, was not meant to illicit sympathy, I'm glad it did illicit some common sense.

I have a wig. It looks fine, but it itches. I have a cap for inside, but the hair at the edges is damned itchy. I only wear when I go out or have company.

Two years ago I had a brain tumor removed and they shave my head. I stayed in the house the first weeks after surgery and then when I went out I proudly went out with my really, really short (almost non-existent) hair for all to see. Did people stare, sure, but I didn't care. My feeling was, I went through a lot and if people didn't like it, that was just too bad.

Thanks for the insights of Celebrity board posters.

The perspectives and positives keep cruising in the margin.

BRAVO for the courage and sharing on the board today.

We wish good health to all posters and their families.

jls

The Orient Express is an image of luxury that transports people from one place to another.

Just delete "ferry" and compare Celebrity to the "Orient Express".

jls

JLSPOOl, with all due respect, the Orient-Express and Celebrity Cruises are two different propositions. While the Orient-Express is indeed an image of 'luxury', there is no way to compare the two.

One- the VSOE is a historical train that has been lovingly restored and sells an 'experience' more than it does travel. Mind you, there are still no showers aboard the Orient-Express! While the Orient-Express is a draw back to everything historical and classical, Celebrity is attempting to be the most 'modern' and 'chic' cruise line.

Two- the PRICE! An eleven night cruise around the Mediterranean in an inside cabin aboard the Celebrity Reflection is £1,110 per person, or exactly £100 per berth, per day ($163). On the other hand, a one-way ticket for an overnight service between London and Venice on the Orient-Express is currently £1,920 per person ($3,141.89) with a price of $3,141.89 per berth, per day. For your comparison of the Orient-Express and your Celebrity voyage to be valid, the cruise should have cost you at least $21,993 per person, based on a 7 day cruise!

Sorry for being a pain but in the spirit of good discussion I just wished to point out the above. For the perceived quality of the Orient-Express, you must be willing to pay the same rates they charge.

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

JLSPOOl, with all due respect, the Orient-Express and Celebrity Cruises are two different propositions. While the Orient-Express is indeed an image of 'luxury', there is no way to compare the two.

One- the VSOE is a historical train that has been lovingly restored and sells an 'experience' more than it does travel. Mind you, there are still no showers aboard the Orient-Express! While the Orient-Express is a draw back to everything historical and classical, Celebrity is attempting to be the most 'modern' and 'chic' cruise line.

Two- the PRICE! An eleven night cruise around the Mediterranean in an inside cabin aboard the Celebrity Reflection is £1,110 per person, or exactly £100 per berth, per day ($163). On the other hand, a one-way ticket for an overnight service between London and Venice on the Orient-Express is currently £1,920 per person ($3,141.89) with a price of $3,141.89 per berth, per day. For your comparison of the Orient-Express and your Celebrity voyage to be valid, the cruise should have cost you at least $21,993 per person, based on a 7 day cruise!

Sorry for being a pain but in the spirit of good discussion I just wished to point out the above. For the perceived quality of the Orient-Express, you must be willing to pay the same rates they charge.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of ferry services and the Orient Express.

The truth is, I wanted another post due to the quality of information in your first.

The Celebrity ships offer more services than a ferry but don't come close to the lavish experience of riding the Orient Express.

Have you considered a Med cruise for summer 2014? We may visit the ports betw Rome and Istanbul again.

jls

Was I nuts to ask if Celebrity was like a ferry w/ala cartes? Well, we'll be back on Celebrity real soon splurging on ala cartes.

FYI ++ A portion of a cruise critic article is pasted below:

see complete article at http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=342

"Western Europe: Brittany Ferries' Pont-Aven

The Ship: Built in 2004, Brittany Ferries' 41,748-ton, 2,400-passenger Pont-Aven is one of the most luxurious cruise ferries ever built and by far the most luxurious to ply the English Channel. While its speed -- which shaves hours off crossing times -- is a major selling point, it is also renowned for the quality of accommodations, food and service.

Pont-Aven's cutting-edge French-designed interiors resemble those found in a chic luxury hotel, and the ferry features popular cruise-ship amenities, such as a glass-enclosed pool area and a teak wraparound promenade deck.

[COLOR="Red"]Feels Like: The stylish interiors are vaguely reminiscent of Celebrity's Century- and Millennium-class ships, though the teak decking will also make Cunard and Holland America fans feel at home. [/color]

Where To: Based in Plymouth, England, Pont-Aven mainly sails the 20-hour, 30-minute run between Plymouth and Santander, Spain. This is touted by Brittany Ferries as "the fastest way from the U.K. to Spain by ferry" and is very popular with Brits who own vacation homes in Spain.

The ship also operates from time to time on the shorter 4-hour, 30-minute run from Plymouth to Roscoff, France, and the 11-hour run from Cork, Ireland, to Roscoff.

How Much: Two-night mini-cruises from Plymouth to Santander and back start at £79 per person."

Was I nuts to ask if Celebrity was like a ferry w/ala cartes? Well, we'll be back on Celebrity real soon splurging on ala cartes.

Why do you keep saying "ala carte"? :confused:

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, it means "with a separate price for each item on the menu". A cruise on Celebrity is nothing like that. You pay one price for your cruise, and included is: lodging for the entire duration; full cleaning services for your room; transportation to all ports being visited; three meals a day including several courses at dinner; unlimited snacks; unlimited drinks such as juices, water, coffee, tea, and constant; entertainment of all kinds. No one has to spend a dime more than the original cruise price if they don't want to. There is no requirement to buy upscale coffees, alcoholic drinks, meals in the specialty restaurants, spa treatments, etc. A person can have a wonderful time at no additional cost - zip, nada, zero, none, zilch, nothing, nil.

How is this "ala carte"? :confused::confused:

You are making absolutely no sense.

Edited by boogs

Why do you keep saying "ala carte"? :confused:

I guess the connotation all depends upon one's point of view. "A la carte" is considered favorably in threads such as this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1805769&highlight=nickle

Many cruisers appreciate adding as much or as little as they desire to their experience. When raising fares is suggested from time to time in order to make a cruise more inclusive, many say they prefer the "a la carte" approach. For example, the non-drinker doesn't want to pay for my glasses (or bottles) of wine.

I would suggest the OP's glass is half-empty. ;)

I guess the connotation all depends upon one's point of view. "A la carte" is considered favorably in threads such as this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1805769&highlight=nickle

Many cruisers appreciate adding as much or as little as they desire to their experience. When raising fares is suggested from time to time in order to make a cruise more inclusive, many say they prefer the "a la carte" approach. For example, the non-drinker doesn't want to pay for my glasses (or bottles) of wine.

I would suggest the OP's glass is half-empty. ;)

Also keep the comment in context to the OP's true feelings, as evidence in the OP's first post on this thread: "To get more than ferry service and basic bed and food, we need to pay extra and tip extra. Are the ships just ferry service from one port to another with all else but basics ala carte?"

I don't consider what is included on a cruise "just the basics". I also don't consider having for extra fare items "ala carte". I consider what is included to be quite extensive, and quite satisfactory, and consider any extras such as specialty restaurants and alcoholic drinks to be "options". A cruise can't be considered "ala carte" if almost everything is included. A more accurate example of "ala carte" is staying in a hotel where each night you stay is a separately costed line item and every menu and drink item in nearby restaurants is also a separately costed line item.

The OP is an experienced Celebrity cruiser who is unhappy that Celebrity won't expand their itineraries to places he hasn't been to yet.

Regarding the OP's glass being "half empty" - it appears that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be. :D

Edited by boogs

Also keep the comment in context to the OP's true feelings, as evidence in the OP's first post on this thread: "To get more than ferry service and basic bed and food, we need to pay extra and tip extra. Are the ships just ferry service from one port to another with all else but basics ala carte?"

I don't consider what is included on a cruise "just the basics". I also don't consider having for extra fare items "ala carte". I consider what is included to be quite extensive, and quite satisfactory, and consider any extras such as specialty restaurants and alcoholic drinks to be "options". A cruise can't be considered "ala carte" if almost everything is included. A more accurate example of "ala carte" is staying in a hotel where each night you stay is a separately costed line item and every menu and drink item in nearby restaurants is also a separately costed line item.

The OP is an experienced Celebrity cruiser who is unhappy that Celebrity won't expand their itineraries to places he hasn't been to yet.

Regarding the OP's glass being "half empty" - it appears that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be. :D

No problems here considering you are a mind reader and make conclusions based on your frames of reference.

Consider taking a sticky to your dictionary and write: "line items that add up to the total cost".

Posts here are based on opinions and facts, I've expressed my opinions.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL