Camp Carnival Dinners

Cmildenb

Where do the 2-5 year old Camp Carnival kids eat dinner when they are at the camp? I hope it is not the MDR since I would love to have dinners alone with my husband and not have to walk by our 3-yr old in the dining room when we are not eating with him (he might get upset and want to eat with us).

Hi Catherine,

Last winter while on the Dream, my 3 year old ate with the kids. They ate in a sectioned off area of the Lido Buffet (upper area by pasta bar). We had to drop her off there by a certain time in order for her to be able to eat with them, then they would take them back to Camp Carnival area.

She absolutely loved eating with her "friends" and we enjoyed laid back dinners ;)

They eat in a section of Lido but do not eat from the buffet. Each night is a different menu and that is what they serve. It is brought out just for them from the kitchen and served just to them.

The menu is listed in the kids schedule they give you. My kids like to pick a few nights they like to eat at camp.

Also you sign them in just like camp.

Edited by MichelleChell

The camp staff find a quiet area in the buffet, and block it off with chairs.

Then the kids eat there.

Yes, I saw that happening one evening as we pulled out from Portland Maine, around sunset.

I thought it most unprofessional to be blocking Deck 10 restaurant area(or anywhere!) with chairs!

People were walking thru it or by it,looking puzzled -- the unruly blockage had little effect!

Carnival needs to do something a bit better than blocking with chairs, really! :cool:

My granddaughter has been cruising since she was 3 yrs old (she is now 6) She loves Camp Carnival but eating dinner with them is one thing she does not enjoy. The dinner situation seems a bit chaotic. I thoroughly feel safe dropping her off at Camp Carnival but I am a bit nervous at dinner. She has gone to dinner twice and the second time they called me to come get her. She was so upset. She has never wanted to do dinner with them again.

We sail tomorrow for her 8th and 9th cruises so we will see if she will give it a try this time.

We love everything else about Camp Carnival!

My son enjoyed the camp dinners on the Glory; they had the dinner in the upstairs portion of the buffet that was closed off.

He will likely eat more dinners in the MDR this trip has I want him to eat better quality food (e.g., broiled salmon) over the typical food usually served to kids (e.g., chicken nuggets).

As a former nanny and daycare owner, I saw zero problems with the way they were containing the kids.

As for the little bitty kids, they were seated, or even on the laps of the camp employees. the older kids were seated at the table. Camp employees did use chairs to section off their space. It was a boundary line meant to keep "adults" out more so I believe than keeping the kids in. The kids were all seated and eating. They are there long enough to eat, and then they leave back to camp. It's not play time.

My son would go 1-2 times during the week. He would go more often probably if i let him. Of course they serve junk food (with veggies being offered) such as fries, chicken nuggets etc. Things kids love but parents hate lol.

If ds wants to go, I'll let him. I have no problems at all and dh & I enjoy some adult time sans kids.

• 4 months later...

I'm confused. :o

Is there a special menu for the kids or do they get to pick and choose what they want from the buffet?

Do they get to go through the buffet or somebody brings food back to the tables for them to eat "family style"?

What kind of food items do they have to choose from? I love the idea of my hubby and I having a nice, quiet dinner by ourselves, but hate the idea of the kids having chicken nuggets. They are pretty adventurous eaters and would like to try new things on a cruise. Do they just have the typical "kids food" to choose from?

Thanks.:)

Whew! Thank you all for the info. Hopefully my son will love eating at the buffet and his parents will have some re-charge time in the MDR.

They will have food especially prepared for the Camp Carnival kids. They deliver it on big trays to the kids in their special area. The kids do not have to get buffet food. I have to say that the trays I've seen being brought out to them looked pretty good! I'm sure your son will love it.

Have a great time on your cruise!

They have a seperate menu--it will be printed in the kids club daily schedule. The kids don't get to pick.

On way home from Dream. There, kids were in the pasta bar (closed at dinner). Supervision was good and they had extra dining staff in there helping out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We have two kids, the youngest started at 11 months. They are 7 and 8 now.

The other posters are correct, it is usually upstairs in a sectioned off area of the buffet dining room. They have typical kids fare, thing chicken nuggets, pizza, grilled cheese. It's about what you would expect on any kids menu at a Chili's/Fridays. The kids do not eat off the buffet.

The menu is published each day so you can see what they are having. The kids have about 4/5 cruises under each of their belts and it is hit and miss on if they want to go each night. It depends on how big of day they have had.

What works for us is that we walk to camp for dinner if they want to go or not, when we get there we look at the menu and if they want to stay great, if not great as well, they come with us. When they see their friends they usually want to stay.

Either way I have always found it safe for our kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really disappointed to learn this. :( My kids are pretty adventurous eaters and love to try new food. I was hoping they could have a few meals with Camp Carnival and my DH and I could have a few nights alone in the MDR. I would feel really bad sticking them with those choices, though.

I'm really disappointed to learn this. :( My kids are pretty adventurous eaters and love to try new food. I was hoping they could have a few meals with Camp Carnival and my DH and I could have a few nights alone in the MDR. I would feel really bad sticking them with those choices, though.

They don't have to just do one or the other. The camp is not going to offer but so much for kids. They serve the standard meals they know most kids like even if they enjoy other types of foods. You can always take them to the MDR a night or two. And camp for dinner a night or two, and still enjoy dinner with just your husband.

I know this is about Camp dining but just wanted to chime in about the MDR in case any new cruisers with kids are reading! I have a 5 and 3 year old who have been on several cruises and the dining room dinners are one of their favorite parts! They are always treated special by the waiters who a lot of times have kids at home and love seeing the kids on the ship. They get to choose their meal and dessert from the kids or adult menu! My older one loves this as she is a more adventurous eater. She got salmon and shrimp etc while the 3 year old got cheese pizza every night. Lol. And they get up and dance with the waiters when they perform which is most nights. My girls like to do dinner with us and then usually to camp for some of their evening activities. I just wanted to give my take and my kids enjoyment of the MDR since its always such a great experience for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums