Stuff I wanna bring for my cruise?! Please advise!

We are sailing with Princess, over Christmas out of Brissy. As we are local we won't be restricted by luggage KG from the airlines. (The key seller for this cruise!)

If we want to bring additional luggage is there an issue re charges?

We know there will be a motherland of school aged kids on board due to the holiday timeframe. I have decided those little bratty brats who belt about with no/minimal supervision from their adult slaves/parents will be annoying for me. Instead of moaning about their behaviour I thought a good super soaker water pistol would liven things up. Is there any restrictions to having water pistols on board! I am sure that by the time I get dive bombed by a fair few of them, it will be "on" in good fun. :)

Speaking of the pool. Inflatable chairs / boats etc. can we use them in the pool? Boogie boards?

Presents & Christmas tree. I am assuming the rooms are decoration free. I have a collapsible tree & lights / decorations I want to bring. Are Christmas lights ok? I have cheap solar lights for the balcony, will this be an issue?

Wine as a present. Anyone had any success with bringing on an additional wine wrapped or packaged up as well as the allocated 2 that does not incur corkage? It will be a decent cost n not keen to pay an addition $15 especially if it isn't drunk!

Toiletries. I have read the stuff provided is fairly average. Is it OTT to bring good shampoo, conditioner, n body wash? Is body wash (not soap) actually provided?

How easy / hard is it to get cheese n bickies bought back to the room for afternoon tea on the balcony? Are these sort of nibbles readily available? Do they cost additional? How about nuts pistachios in particular!?

Water -particularly for excursions. We are thinking of bringing on a 24x 500ml bottles of water. Which would see us out for the 11 days. Does this get checked in separately? I drink filtered water & very whinge-y when placed on tap water! :mad:

Plastic wine glasses & insulated mugs. Are these worthwhile bringing?

Have no intentions of bringing sticky notes, walkie talkies, blue tac or sticky tape but are power board chargers & coat hangers worth the effort?

Okies I think that's it for now!! Thanks for the thought to follow!

I am also curious about water for excursions. My kids drink alot of water throughout the day. I expect it will hot during port days as we are cruising south pacific over Christmas. My plan was for my kids to bring their empty water bottles and then fill them up on board before we leave for the tenders/day trips. Is this feasible?

I have some good news, and some not so good. :D You can take as much luggage as you like. You can also take as much bottled water as you like and there is no charge.

I think if you used a water pistol, the Security officer would have a word. I doubt that this would be allowed. I have never seen boogie boards and inflatable chairs in the pool. There isn't that much spare room.

There wouldn't be any decorations in your room, but there could be an issue with the electrical safety of lights. I don't think they would be allowed. You can certainly take whatever other decorations you like. All cruiseships have to be very very careful of anything that might cause a fire and unattended electrical equipment can be a problem.

Wine - You can take an extra bottle or two, but expect to be charged $15 corkage on each bottle.

Toiletries - take whatever you like. I take my own.

Cheese and biscuits - available free at the Horizon Court buffet. I usually fill a plate at lunchtime and take back to the room, cover with plastic and keep in the fridge. A plateful would last two days. Someone I know actually takes a Tupperware container for cheese/bikkies.

I wouldn't take plastic wine glasses. Wine tastes so much better out of glass, and even better out of crystal. You can go to any bar and ask for wine glasses, but don't ask at the bars near the pool area because they only have plastic. I have found the bar on deck 5 or deck 7 in the atrium are good. Insulated mug - this depends on you. If you like a hot cup of coffee in your room, they could be worthwhile.

Power board - essential. I also take plastic clothes hangers because there aren't ever enough in the wardrobe. Plastic weighs practically nothing.

Walkie talkies - I think are useless.

I don't bother with stickies. My husband wouldn't notice a sticky unless I stuck it on him. If I want to leave a note that I really want him to see, I write it just on a piece of paper and place it on a chair in the middle of the cabin. He usually :D sees that. Otherwise he would fall over the chair. On that point, I suggest taking a few sheets of writing paper. Handy for all sorts of things and not something everyone thinks of.

If you can think of any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Have a great trip.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Oh Aus traveller. Thank u thank u! :)

My Chrissy tree is one with battery lights attached so may just turn on when we are in our room! Solar lights are low voltage & designed for in door /outdoor use. I plan on being the best dressed balcony on the cruise! Bwahhhhh :D

I cannot stand tap water & would suggest that the ship refills at port then it will be loading Brissy water. I hope it's filtered!

Buggarh about the water pistols! Might test run that one! I can choke on "humble pie" to an elite standard so will suss that one out!

I was worried about the wine as it will be a gift & not anticipated to be drunk on the ship :-(

As an avid camper n pool owner I gave developed an acquired taste for wine out of a plastic glass :o and thought if I was kicking back by the pool that nay be an option. If they supply them for the pool all good!

LOL re your hubs. I think I married his twin. :Dhence the nil sticky notes.

Thanx so much.

Aussielozzie, r u on the same cruise? If u see a crazy lady dive bombing raucious kids making more noise laughing than their combined shouting, that will be me - so u know who to avoid!! LOL! :)

I thought the same re the water, but I am worried that it will be unfiltered tap water, and Brissy muck at that, so thought I would lug on a case of fantelle or similar. They r cheap as anyways!

Have a great trip :)

The water isn't Brissie or any other local water. It is desalinated on the ship and is probably the purest water you could find anywhere.

Re the balcony - They might not like anything unsecured being left on the balcony because it could easily be blown overboard. Cruiseships are very careful about nothing being thrown or blown overboard. Passengers are not suppose to leave wet towels or drying undies unattended on the balcony.

Further on that topic - I always take a small bag of clothes pegs and hang out wet swimmers and undies on the clothes line over the shower. You probably know that an unlimited number of pool towels are supplied.

Hmmmm I posted a reply some where here!! I hope it's not on another random thread!!:D

Desal. Haven't had it in over 20years. Hope the recipe is better now adays! Great news about the towels. Can they be taken ashore?

Thank u Austraveller. I really do appreciate the advise. Please keep the "help" coming :)

Alozzie I reckon your teens are lucky to get onto family cruise holiday :-) LOL @ the teen sulks. Aren't they just lotsa fun? :)

Yes - the pool towels can be taken ashore. When you come back on board, there is often a container to drop the wet towels in. If not, leave them on the floor of your bathroom and your room steward till give you fresh ones. If you don't want the towels cluttering up your bathroom, there are 'bins' near the pool on deck 12 where you can leave used towels. There will also be a stack of clean towels near the pool. If they are not there, ask one of the Deck Attendants on deck 12 near the pool.

The desal water is good. There is absolutely no taste in it. My husband can be a bit of a "Princess" as far as drinking water is concerned, and he drinks it without hesitation.

snip....

Cheese and biscuits - available free at the Horizon Court buffet. I usually fill a plate at lunchtime and take back to the room, cover with plastic and keep in the fridge. A plateful would last two days. Someone I know actually takes a Tupperware container for cheese/bikkies.....

snip.

Cover the plate of biccies etc with an unused disposable shower hat

Sandy in Spain

I thought a good super soaker water pistol would liven things up. Is there any restrictions to having water pistols on board! I am sure that by the time I get dive bombed by a fair few of them, it will be "on" in good fun. :)

Wow! you look like you will be having a "blast" on your cruise, great sense of humour. I can see it now! your bags will get scanned and off goes the xray alarm with a couple of serious security people glued to the image of the water gun on screen. They will then send the luggage to the "naughty room", on board LOL!

I think I will need to bring some laminated labels so I can claim my own desk & chair in the naughty room. It seems I may spend some time there :D They will also find the wrapped bottlo wine n sting me $15 extra for something we won't drink.

Hmmmm I will have to re-think this water pistol angle!

Austrav. Good to know about KingPrincess's water habits. That makes feel less inclined to lug on a carton of water!

T60. I love, love, love your thinking ;)! See -this is the insider tips I am hoping to hear!

Cheers!