Grocery Shop!

Lonedreamer

Hi There

I am a non drinker and previously on cruises from Southampton have packed plenty of bottles of diet coke etc to keep in the stateroom.

Obviously this is out for our Caribbean adventure (my wife seems to think that her dresses are more important!)

So, I was wondering, does anyone know If there is a shop near to the port in Barbados that I could 'nip' to (without risking safety or getting lost) in order to buy some bottles of non-alcoholic drink?

Christian

Hi There

I am a non drinker and previously on cruises from Southampton have packed plenty of bottles of diet coke etc to keep in the stateroom.

Obviously this is out for our Caribbean adventure (my wife seems to think that her dresses are more important!)

So, I was wondering, does anyone know If there is a shop near to the port in Barbados that I could 'nip' to (without risking safety or getting lost) in order to buy some bottles of non-alcoholic drink?

Christian

Hi Christian. First, welcome to Cruise Critic. There's a vast amount of information here, and I'm sure that you'll get plenty of help finding answers to your questions. You don't state what cruise line or specific cruise you will be taking, so bear in mind that what follows may not be true in every single case.

While there are restrictions on what alcohol you can bring on board, most cruise lines will allow you to bring on board water and other non-alcoholic drinks. It's quite common for passengers to bring a case of drinks on board when they originally embark, treating it as another piece of luggage. Once you are off your plane, you no longer have to worry about weight or bag restrictions, and your wife won't have to worry about her dress count! Then you can top up your stock at each pot along the way.

There are lots of shops near the cruise port in Bridgetown, but I must admit that I've not paid attention to whether or not there are grocery stores nearby. There are numerous shops right in the cruise terminal where I'm sure you could buy soft drinks, but not necessarily diet Coke. And they'd probably be a bit more expensive.

Does your cruise line offer drink packages? Many offer non-alcoholic beverage packages, but again, may not offer diet Coke.

I hope you have a great cruise and thoroughly enjoy your Caribbean adventure!

Are you flying in from the UK? If you are taking a taxi, have the driver stop at a grocery store on the way to the port.b- I've been to the Supercentre on the south shore, and it was well stocked. They took my $US.

If your tour includes the bus to the Port, then you'll need to take a taxi to get to a store that has reasonably priced grocery items.

Aloha,

John

Are you flying in from the UK?

If you are taking a taxi, have the driver stop at a grocery store on the way to the port.

I've been to the Supercentre on the south shore, and it was well stocked.

They took my $US. ===> US$ is King. Everyone takes it. Even me. :)

If your tour includes the bus to the Port,

then you'll need to take a taxi to get to a store that has reasonably priced grocery items.

That would be Big B Supermarket ?

just off the South Coast Main Road...in Worthing.

Or possibly the Supercentre in Oistins..

Edited by Aplmac

Hi There

Christian

I understand, can't live without the diet coke myself. I am assuming you are boarding in Barbados? If so, I have seen the lines of people who board on and off the ship in Barbados and they are at the same terminal that us still on the ship go thru. In there, yes you will find DIET COKE!!! :D It is a big terminal building with shops etc, and other things besides diet coke, the vanilla there is wonderful! As far as your ship, most let you bring some on, so you should be fine.

The cruise port at Bridgetown is a bit remote from the town - especially for someone who wants to just nip out for a couple of minutes to buy soft drinks.

Yes, plenty at the cruise terminal shops, but we didn't find large bottles- only 500 mil, and not great value.

Best bet is at a subsequent port-of-call, where the berth is close to town facilities such as locals' supermarkets, & you can buy before returning to your ship.

But do take one-dollar bills - like on other islands the locals' shops price their goods in local dollars & accept US dollars at regulated exchange rates but give change in local currency. So a $20 bill means an expensive bottle of coke and a mountain of souvenir currency.

Yes, diet coke often available, though Coke Zero or Coke light are equivalents.

JB :)