New Celebrity Summit cruiser

new_cruiser14

Hi,

Looking to take my first cruise [ever] on the celebrity summit next year out of San Juan and I have some questions. Cruise Critic has already been super helpful but I have a few summit/ celebrity specific questions. If someone who has been on the Summit recently could help, that would be great [sorry in advance for the number of questions]

1. Has anyone been in the aft cabins on deck 7 or 8 and have pics by any chance? I've seen pics of deck 9 aft, is the balcony furniture the same on 7/8? Are there lights on the balconies?

2. We are looking at concierge class but don't drink so could we exchange the complimentary drink for something else?

3. Is Qsine on the first night advisable given the late muster drill for the Caribbean itineraries. We wouldn't want to miss sail away or eat too late?

4. We are not from the US but have one of those USD charge cards that we normally load will dollars for trips. Even though we use a credit card for check in, will be able to settle our account using that card with preloaded dollars?

5. I've seen mixed reviews about the Ocean View café in terms of food available and quality and service. Can someone who frequents the buffet regularly tell me what is there for lunch and dinner? I know there is an Asian station but is it just stir fry or are there Asian/ Indian curries? Are there meat entrees and sides?

Thanks!!!!!

Just got off the Summit two weeks ago. Can't answer all your questions but this is what I know.

Muster drill was at 7:45 pm and sail away was at 8:30 pm. We've cruised out of San Juan before, so dined at Qsine at 8 pm that night and missed sail away, which worked well for us.

If you don't want to miss sail away but want to dine there the first night you might try a 6 pm reservation. BTW, no guarantee, but on our sailing they were offering a 20% discount at Qsine later in the week.

We did dine at the buffet one night and as I recall they had prepared indian dishes (which I took advantage of) and there was also a station that prepared made to order meats (steak, chicken, etc.) which my husband took advantage of. Of course there were sides, salad bar, pasta bar, pizza, etc. I recall an Asian station with prepared food at lunch time, just don't remember if it was open at dinner.

Hi,

Looking to take my first cruise [ever] on the celebrity summit next year out of San Juan and I have some questions. Cruise Critic has already been super helpful but I have a few summit/ celebrity specific questions. If someone who has been on the Summit recently could help, that would be great [sorry in advance for the number of questions]

1. Has anyone been in the aft cabins on deck 7 or 8 and have pics by any chance? I've seen pics of deck 9 aft, is the balcony furniture the same on 7/8? Are there lights on the balconies?

2. We are looking at concierge class but don't drink so could we exchange the complimentary drink for something else?

3. Is Qsine on the first night advisable given the late muster drill for the Caribbean itineraries. We wouldn't want to miss sail away or eat too late?

4. We are not from the US but have one of those USD charge cards that we normally load will dollars for trips. Even though we use a credit card for check in, will be able to settle our account using that card with preloaded dollars?

5. I've seen mixed reviews about the Ocean View café in terms of food available and quality and service. Can someone who frequents the buffet regularly tell me what is there for lunch and dinner? I know there is an Asian station but is it just stir fry or are there Asian/ Indian curries? Are there meat entrees and sides?

Thanks!!!!!

I will try to answer all I can, just got off the summit yesterday!

3. We booked Quine for 6 pm, 11 of us total. We started then took a break for the muster drill, we were made to leave, not sure how the other poster managed to not attend since it's mandatory. During sail away we went outside and watched while they prepared our next course. Dinner was finished about 10, we had a great time and never felt rushed, there was a table of 4 that started with us and ended about 930. We got 50% off the first night.

4. We used a different card than what we checked in with, changed it the night before to save the long lines. Not about the prepaid part though.

5. The Asian is buffet fried rice, noodles, and different dishes such as broccoli beef, usually about 3 main course. They also had egg rolls, steamed taro buns and a few other options that varied from day to day. There is a stand alone Indian food section that was open breakfast lunch and dinner, mostly vegetarian dishes and they were great, I ate there almost every day. There is Pizza until 1am, cheese, pepperoni and pizza of the day. Pasta bar made numerous types with options for sauces, lines were usually long since the pasta was finished by the chefs while you waited. Overall I was not impressed with the buffet food at breakfast and it was only marginally better during lunch. I stuck with Indian dishes, pizza and pasta with salads. These were always great!

Hope this helped a little bit.

Two things about Qsine:

• It's even better with a group. Check your Roll Call and see it you can go with other people. That way you get to sample many more menu items.

• Qsine has at least one Indian entree, and someone at our Roll Call group table was Indian and said it was authentically good. I liked it too, but I figure their opinion counts for more. :)

I will try to answer all I can, just got off the summit yesterday!

3. We booked Quine for 6 pm, 11 of us total. We started then took a break for the muster drill, we were made to leave, not sure how the other poster managed to not attend since it's mandatory. During sail away we went outside and watched while they prepared our next course. Dinner was finished about 10, we had a great time and never felt rushed, there was a table of 4 that started with us and ended about 930. We got 50% off the first night.

4. We used a different card than what we checked in with, changed it the night before to save the long lines. Not about the prepaid part though.

5. The Asian is buffet fried rice, noodles, and different dishes such as broccoli beef, usually about 3 main course. They also had egg rolls, steamed taro buns and a few other options that varied from day to day. There is a stand alone Indian food section that was open breakfast lunch and dinner, mostly vegetarian dishes and they were great, I ate there almost every day. There is Pizza until 1am, cheese, pepperoni and pizza of the day. Pasta bar made numerous types with options for sauces, lines were usually long since the pasta was finished by the chefs while you waited. Overall I was not impressed with the buffet food at breakfast and it was only marginally better during lunch. I stuck with Indian dishes, pizza and pasta with salads. These were always great!

Hope this helped a little bit.

Thanks so much. This is why I love cruise critic, everyone is so helpful!

• 4 weeks later...

Pics of aft balcony # 8185

The balcony is partly covered. Plenty of room to enjoy sunshine or go under the canopy for privacy. This is below the rear bar and they tend to play quiet music, nothing like sailing while listening to soft steel pan music! We've done this cabin several times and will sail in same cabin 3 times in 2014. If you have any other questions let me know or contact me direct at reds9@comcast.net

1210417994_another8185.jpg.39b6d207ba54b051dc41961ef705d376.jpg[/ATTACH]

8185.jpg.5b59e7bf6fb77dee6dffbf1913804088.jpg

Edited by reds9

The aft cabins on decks 7 and 8 are the same as the ones on 9. They have the same furniture. Yes, there is a light.

I don't drink either. I have the bottle sent down to the dining room to share with my table.

Pics of aft balcony # 8185

The balcony is partly covered. Plenty of room to enjoy sunshine or go under the canopy for privacy. This is below the rear bar and they tend to play quiet music, nothing like sailing while listening to soft steel pan music! We've done this cabin several times and will sail in same cabin 3 times in 2014. If you have any other questions let me know or contact me direct at reds9@comcast.net

[ATTACH][ATTACH]296564[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Thanks!

[

Hi,

I was on the Summit on December 14th sailing, and although I did not have a cabin on the 8th deck nor aft our cabin on deck 9 mid ship had a balcony light. I'd imagine all balconies have lights.

The muster drill started at 7:30 with announcement to be at your station by 7:15. We were also first time cruisers like you and after reading advice here to dine at 6 we decided against it. We got to Blu around 8:15 and found it almost empty. We were seated at a window and enjoyed watching the coastal San Juan sights while we dined. I recall that day on the 10th deck, and right outside the buffet, they were offering 50% at Qsine for that night only. Perhaps you could equally enjoy the sights at a window table.

4. We are not from the US but have one of those USD charge cards that we normally load will dollars for trips. Even though we use a credit card for check in, will be able to settle

On the last night when you receive your account statement for review it states on it that you may visit guest relations to use a different card to charge the account balance or by not visiting guest relations they will automatically charge the same card you used when you received your sea pass.

We went to the buffet maybe three times. We learned around 4pm they bring out small sandwiches both hot and cold, desserts and other appetizer like items.

We went once for breakfast and found it unappetizing. However others seemed to love it. During lunch they have identical stations on both sides, plus a pizza station, a panini station and one chef's special station that is always rotating. As well as a pasta station. The one day we saw the Asian station they did not have curry or Indian dishes. They had chicken adobo, lo mein, chow mein, pepper steak and sweet and sour chicken, and friend rices (meatless and with chicken).

Hope that helps. Like I mentioned, I like you was a first ever cruiser on Summit a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by OMK&Belladonna

Just want to pipe in here because I think it's important to note that dining in Blu is only for passengers booked in Aqua Class. Also, the 50% discount offered the first night is also only for Aqua Class, everyone else is generally only offered 20% the first night at the specialty restaurants. It's been reported often that the reason is to reduce the number of passengers that dine in Blu the first night.

Hope that helps. Like I mentioned, I like you was a first ever cruiser on Summit a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much for your responses! What was your overall impression of the summit being a first time cruiser? Any highlights or words of advice? Thanks!

Thanks so much for your responses! What was your overall impression of the summit being a first time cruiser? Any highlights or words of advice? Thanks!

I have nothing to compare it to but I will say we are booked for another cruise on Summit with a different itinerary next year.

We were in Aqua class and after experiencing the frenzy of the main dining room during the grand buffet I doubt we will ever cruise in anything other than Aqua class.

We did three excursions through Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed two immensely. The first excursion we went on was okay not great but not bad either but extremely expensive. We are too scared to do excursions independently at this point but perhaps with more experience we would.

Everyone on the ship from the person wiping down stair railings daily to the wait staff and beyond seemed to enjoy their work and were always extremely pleasant. They greet you every time they see you and always ask about tour day especially after returning from port.

The salt water pool in the solarium is lovely, refreshing and relaxing. We found this out halfway through the week and wished we'd discovered it sooner.

Read the stateroom delivered daily newsletter every night to find out what's available the next day.

Enjoy your vacation. Aside from the first day when the motion of the ship made me feel a bit sick, I was always thoroughly enjoying the ship both as a destination with a multitude of events to partake in as well as a vessel to get from one destination to another. The only thing I wished was different at the end of that week was being able to spend more time on the ship as in I didn't want to go home! Two weeks later and we are still talking about it. We have traveled extensively to more than 50 countries on six continents and after a day or toe we are usually done talking about our vacation with one another. With our first cruise we are still talking about it!

Here is a 33 minute youtube video from our Oct.19-26,2013 cruise on the Summit.

Watch the video in 1080 HD. It will be sharp and clear even on full screen.

I know 33 minutes of someone else's vacation is a LONG video to sit through, but it does have photos of pretty much every area of the ship from many different angles. Sorry but no aft balcony photos. We have had aft balcony's on previous Summit trips and we loved them. This time we too a group of people with us so we had to cut down on the cost a bit and settled for OceanView Cabins. We have had balconies for the last 15 years or so of cruising, but we were pleasantly surprised to find we actually LIKED the Ocean View cabins very very much. We spent two weeks in the OV cabin and never felt cramped or claustrophobic

Edited by existentialtraveler

I have nothing to compare it to but I will say we are booked for another cruise on Summit with a different itinerary next year.

We were in Aqua class and after experiencing the frenzy of the main dining room during the grand buffet I doubt we will ever cruise in anything other than Aqua class.

We did three excursions through Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed two immensely. The first excursion we went on was okay not great but not bad either but extremely expensive. We are too scared to do excursions independently at this point but perhaps with more experience we would.

Everyone on the ship from the person wiping down stair railings daily to the wait staff and beyond seemed to enjoy their work and were always extremely pleasant. They greet you every time they see you and always ask about tour day especially after returning from port.

The salt water pool in the solarium is lovely, refreshing and relaxing. We found this out halfway through the week and wished we'd discovered it sooner.

Read the stateroom delivered daily newsletter every night to find out what's available the next day.

Enjoy your vacation. Aside from the first day when the motion of the ship made me feel a bit sick, I was always thoroughly enjoying the ship both as a destination with a multitude of events to partake in as well as a vessel to get from one destination to another. The only thing I wished was different at the end of that week was being able to spend more time on the ship as in I didn't want to go home! Two weeks later and we are still talking about it. We have traveled extensively to more than 50 countries on six continents and after a day or toe we are usually done talking about our vacation with one another. With our first cruise we are still talking about it!

Thanks. Really looking forward to the cruise now!

Thanks! Glad you had a great time! Really looking forward to the cruise now! Happy new year!

Here is a 33 minute youtube video from our Oct.19-26,2013 cruise on the Summit.

Watch the video in 1080 HD. It will be sharp and clear even on full screen.

I know 33 minutes of someone else's vacation is a LONG video to sit through, but it does have photos of pretty much every area of the ship from many different angles. Sorry but no aft balcony photos. We have had aft balcony's on previous Summit trips and we loved them. This time we too a group of people with us so we had to cut down on the cost a bit and settled for OceanView Cabins. We have had balconies for the last 15 years or so of cruising, but we were pleasantly surprised to find we actually LIKED the Ocean View cabins very very much. We spent two weeks in the OV cabin and never felt cramped or claustrophobic

Thanks,this is great. Gets me excited about the trip, hopefully the next few months will fly by. Happy new year