Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

We just got off Jewel last Saturday.

I see the picture with Roy greeting you as you enter the MDR. He was absolutely fantastic! Got one of our WOW cards.

I also see you had our same waiter and ass't waiter. They were absolutely the worst we ever experienced. Totally ignored us for a table of 10 next to us. Stood and chatted with them for up to 10 minutes at a time while we waited to order or get our next course. Many times we had to ask for beverages, bread, coffee etc. Rarely did anything come without asking. One night our main course arrived and we asked for bread. Another night dessert was dropped off and still no coffee. We assumed it would follow. Never did. Fortunately 3 nights a waitress from a separate section saw us sitting while they were chatting and came over to help us.

Oh No!!! Thats awful!! Sounds like they were overwhelmed by that big table! Were they still in MTD?? I would have asked to change, really! We did it once, I have no problem...there is just no excuse to be ignored. If they need help they can ask the headwaiter to pitch in...I've even gone looking for the HW if something is not right. They want "excellent"; then I am going to seek them out and make them earn it.

On Allure we had a bad 1st night (water not being refilled- we always arrive from the cold so the whole clan is parched after a day or two in Florida) I mentioned it on the first night, figuring, it would improve, or we (and our extra tip) would move on. The waiter was so responsive, he really wanted to correct it and I gave him a wow, for responding that way and providing good service rather than taking it personally and/or taking it out on us later in anger.

I hope next time you will speak up...no need to put up with bad service! (I have to say Rosendo said he is going home in just a few weeks, he may have been really slacking towards the end of the contract :()

Day 6 Barbados When I awaken inside a Richard Scary book

It feels like I woke up inside this book... (Things that GO; one of DH's favorites!)

61FaueDqrNL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

But in reality...we are docked at the business end of Barbados...lost of stuff coming and going all day long. My preschoolers (I work PT at a local preschool) would have sat here for HOURS watching these "machines"! There was a big barge, trucks with containers, a trolley that moved the containers over to the ship, the crane, the little fork lifts moving around everywhere...nirvana for 4 year old boys. I found the incessant beeping a little nerve wracking, but otherwise I do kind of enjoy watching these kinds of things, so we did watch for a while in the morning.

153596217.jpg

(pano of Barbados from our balcony!)

153587134.jpg

Our day in Barbados was to start early. We had breakfast at the Windjammer again. We needed to meet the driver for Calabaza at the pier and then transfer to the catamaran for a day sail. This was an independent tour we arranged via email through Gina at Calabaza through their website:

http://www.calabazasailingcruises.com/

It runs 9-2:30, included lunch, drinks, at least two snorkel stops including seeing the sea turtles. We were also able to swim to the beach or snorkel at our lunch stop. It cost us each $110.

Comparison shopping: This was about $35 more than similar but shorter cat cruises offered through the cruiseline (BBC3- Swim with the turtles, shipwrecks, snorkel and beach $76 or BBC1 Tiami sail turtle and beach $76); but those only offer "rum punch" and we saw several of them out on the water...you also get to cruise with about 40 of your favorite strangers.

The Explorations! trip that most closely mirrors Calabaza is BB51 Tiami 5 star cat and turtles $105; that one has lunch, but again, we saw it go by and there was quite a crowd onboard...sharing with significantly more than 12 people to save 5 bucks.

For $70 bucks, sailing with just 12 was well worth the extra money! Be aware that no matter what you pay, all these boats will be snorkeling in the same areas. The shipwrecks are really only in one place and there are only a couple of places to see turtles, in our case the "Atlantic" side was too rough to go to the turtles on that side according to our Capt. The smaller independents can usually get to the sites more quickly and depart before the larger ships tours arrive, but the first two snorkel sites (turtles and shipwrecks) were sometimes crowded with snorkelers. That's part of why we enjoyed having the quiet boat to go back to! So each person will have to decide for themselves what is important and choose the right excursion!

I'll have more details about the trip we took in my next post with loads of photos!

(The sign at the port)

153587066.jpg

(this building at the port has little shops inside, as well as free wifi, there is not a seat to be found in there while passengers and crew alike use the wifi to check in. The wifi was pretty good, not terribly slow given how many people were using it!)

153587124.jpg

Day 6 Barbados: Calabaza Cruise

Our cruise included two couples, Onenewfonenot, and Bparks; all of whom we had met on board or on our earlier tour. We waited a while for an English couple staying at a resort in Barbados. There was also a group of 4 from Las Vegas that had been on our Roll Call. We had all chatted on the RC about being on Calabaza together and we were all really looking forward to it.

Upon our arrival we made introductions with Danny our capt and the crew. We were offered banana bread and drinks (alcoholic or not; another consideration- you can drink before snorkeling on a private tour; but not on a Royal tour...we chose not to, but its an option!) as soon as we boarded. We had a briefing about the boat and it's amenities and safety features and we were on our way!

(Calabaza)

153587085.jpg

Now I had promised you that I would show you a sea horse from our snorkel tour in Barbados...well, it's not quite what you might expect, but during our sail we saw this:

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

v

(Sea Horse)

153587068.jpg

I have no idea why this horse was swimming- I didn't even know they could! Maybe it was cooling off after a run!

After seeing the "sea horse" we continued on to our first snorkel stop. This first stop was where the turtles come to swim. They started coming because this was the spot where the commercial fishermen would gut their fish and dump the chum overboard. This was an easy lunch for the turtles. Once they appeared, people wanting to see them followed, and now unfortunately, the snorkel tours are putting fish in the water to keep them coming and to keep all of us coming.

I'm always torn about this...on the one hand, I feel pretty strongly about not "feeding" wildlife, but on the other, I have seen how awareness of seeing these creatures in the wild can change the way people advocate for them. The Calabaza crew was very respectful and went over the rules for being in the water with the turtles; at no time were we to touch, chase or otherwise harass them. We were there to observe them only.

I have seen turtles in the wild with out feeding, but some of these islands have developed an industry around the animals in some places (like stingray city) and it's hard to stand in the way of the locals and their economy. I also probably rationalize it by thinking it's better for the turtles to drive the economy by being watched and occasionally fed instead of being eaten and having their shells sold. It's easy to stay on my high horse about protecting wildlife; but I'm not struggling to feed my family. Baby steps, in a very complex interaction between the rights of wildlife and the rights of the people in the places that share space with them!!

We geared up and went into the water with the guide. There were floatie noodles for anyone who needed one. We didn't feed or touch them, but they were quite comfortable with us, and we were able to get some (ok, a LOT!) amazing photos!

(first snorkel stop)

153587091.jpg

(turtles)

153587070.jpg

153587072.jpg

(the near turtle [same animal as the top two photos] is about the size of a large ottoman and the far one was about the size of a large frying pan- they are beautiful and graceful!!)

153587074.jpg

Oh No!!! Thats awful!! Sounds like they were overwhelmed by that big table! Were they still in MTD?? I would have asked to change, really! We did it once, I have no problem...there is just no excuse to be ignored. If they need help they can ask the headwaiter to pitch in...I've even gone looking for the HW if something is not right. They want "excellent"; then I am going to seek them out and make them earn it.

On Allure we had a bad 1st night (water not being refilled- we always arrive from the cold so the whole clan is parched after a day or two in Florida) I mentioned it on the first night, figuring, it would improve, or we (and our extra tip) would move on. The waiter was so responsive, he really wanted to correct it and I gave him a wow, for responding that way and providing good service rather than taking it personally and/or taking it out on us later in anger.

I hope next time you will speak up...no need to put up with bad service! (I have to say Rosendo said he is going home in just a few weeks, he may have been really slacking towards the end of the contract :()

It was mostly Rosendo. We would have changed but we pulled some strings to get the more private table for 2. Most of the tables for 2 are stacked up against each other in a very noisy area. Almost like being at a long table for 20. Even with a table of 10 next to us both parties that sat there were relatively quiet even when they were chatting with Ricky and Rosendo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Day 6 Barbados

Calabaza Sail

Our second stop was just a little further out from the turtle area. There are a couple of ships there from various eras...most were scuttled purposely; one by the colonial era crew who sailed it over here from Europe because they didn't feel like going home; can you blame them;) the others were scuttled with the permission of the Government to serve as artificial reefs to attract the tourists!

It got pretty crowded here when the larger boats arrived with their big tours; but those folks didn't stay very long (moving that many folks in a such a short period of time means having to stay shorter times at each place). We stayed after one group left and were able to enjoy the wrecks without having a wreck ourselves! When the next "big" group arrived, we moved on to the lunch stop.

(Second stop- wreck dive)

153587093.jpg

(I got to see an eel in this wreck, but he was camera shy!)

153587095.jpg

153587099.jpg

Day 6 Barbados

Calabaza Cruise

We sailed along the Caribbean coast of Barbados. This was our stop for lunch- on the shore is the resort that Tiger Woods rented out to get married; I guess that must have been very exciting because we are still talking about it and the marriage is "OVA", as we say in Boston! ;) We had the opportunity to swim over to the shore and hang on the beach; but honestly the boat was so nice, we felt no need to go over there.

The cat is very comfortable. There is a a large cockpit with a settee for up to 6-8 people, and then on the opposite side is the same seating area, but with a table. All of this is under cover, so you can find some shade if you want. There is also a cozy sitting area below; but if the weather is good, you don't want to be below!

Up at the bow there is a comfy mesh covering the area between the pontoons to lay out in the sun or in the shade of the sail. It was an entirely relaxing sail, and the crew could not do enough. Snacks (hummus, mango salsa and sour cream dip with crackers, and later a yummy fish cake) and drinks were offered constantly and they would fetch anything you needed- even stuff from your bag!

153587117.jpg

The buffet included fish, a chicken stew, a pasta dish, cous cous, a Caesar salad, rice and beans, cole slaw and a cucumber and tomato salad. For dessert there was brownie, cheese cake with whip cream and cookie offered on plates wherever you happened to be sunning. The service makes you feel like a billionaire!!

(the buffet in the galley)

153587113.jpg

(do you like how the rum is pouring right into the punch in these pics?!)

153587111.jpg

153587115.jpg

Thanks, so much, for the review. We are on the same itinerary in April so I have been looking forward to your review.

We have been to Dominica, like another poster, with Princess and really fell in love with the island. After our ship sponsered cruise, we explored the Roseau area in front of the dock and ended up in a WiFi restaurant that was owned by an expat. My DW had a delightful conversation with her while I ran back to the ship to get the computer.

Thanks for posting the information, review, and website for the Calabaza Sailing Cruises. That is exactly the type excursion that appeals to us. I'll have to mention it to our cc group. :p

Day 6 Barbados

Calabaza Cruise

After lunch, some of jumped back in for more snorkeling...there was no mom to tell us we couldn't swim for a half hour...just the crew treating us like spoiled billionaires! I honestly believe that was just invented by moms who wanted a half hour off from watching kids in the water, so they could yak with their friends...it's like "eyes in the back of their head"... a myth passed from mother to mother to keep the inmates from running the asylum (or at the very least to keep the mother OUT of the asylum!!);)

(snorkeling)

153587107.jpg

(there was some interesting coral here)

153587102.jpg

153587104.jpg

After our last stop, we sailed back to Bridgetown. The whole experience was wonderful...we were lucky to have some fun folks on our cruise; everyone was interesting and engaged (unless we were the jerks :eek:) and the crew was friendly and attentive. It was an amazing day, that I was sorry to see end! The day after we returned home, we had a message welcoming us home from Gina at Calabaza with all the recipes for the food we had for lunch and a link to the photos the guides took during our tour. From first contact to the welcome home email- every bit of the trip was top notch, easy and relaxing. Worth every penny!!

Policy Question:

Now I have a little "issue" to query the CC world about. I have always believed that the crew on boat trips like this should be tipped if the service was excellent. During our St Thomas sailing cruise it was specifically mentioned in the "paperwork" we got before our cruise. I can't recall if anything was mentioned before the sail, but no one on Calabaza suggested tipping; but to me it feels like something you do, based on what we paid for the cruise, I had expected to tip between $10-15 per crew member (and potentially the Capt as he was not the owner of the vessel)

We did thank the guys with a tip, and I know the couple from Britain asked us all about it because it's not customary in Britain and they were wondering do we or don't we? Maybe it's not customary in Barbados (being a former British colony) but my experience has always been to tip about $5-10 per person for a whole day personalized tour. And we've tipped at least a dollar per person for a large ship sponsored tour.

I've noticed that on this cruise absolutely NONE of the ships sponsored tours asked, mentioned, or even left out a cup for tips. That's a departure from prior cruises, so it makes me wonder; has Royal asked them NOT to mention it? ( it one of the things people on cruises complain about, all the tip grovelling!)

So my question is what are your expectations for tipping on private tours, Royal tours? (no judgement is intended, I am truly just asking the question!)

I'll be interested to see what folks think!!

Thanks, so much, for the review. We are on the same itinerary in April so I have been looking forward to your review.

We have been to Dominica, like another poster, with Princess and really fell in love with the island. After our ship sponsered cruise, we explored the Roseau area in front of the dock and ended up in a WiFi restaurant that was owned by an expat. My DW had a delightful conversation with her while I ran back to the ship to get the computer.

Thanks for posting the information, review, and website for the Calabaza Sailing Cruises. That is exactly the type excursion that appeals to us. I'll have to mention it to our cc group. :p

Yes, it was terrific and that time of year when the trade winds aren't kicking up in the Atlantic, they should be able to sail to some " less frequented" sites to snorkel. That would have put it over the top- but safety first!

Enjoy your cruise! Hope you get your RC involved; what's fun about that is that it's the last port day and you should all be good friends by then!

You're brave bringing up tipping! Might as well go to dining room dress code next (I kid). I usually see/her a cue for tips so surprising to read that wasn't the case. I always think a tip is deserved? Maybe something has changed with the policy.

Great sea turtle pics. Glad to hear the tour was respectful of the turtles. When I was in Barbados on a ship sponsored exclusion I remember kids grabbing the turtles shells and getting pulled. Not my idea of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Canadian Tyler

I'm loving your cruise review...we're on the Dec. 28 NYE cruise with the same itinerary. We've been to St. Maarten 3 times (once for one week), Dominica and Barbados, but the other 2 ports are new.

This cruise will be different for us, I broke a bone in my left foot on Nov 27, so I'll be using a wheelchair and crutches to get around. Thankfully I have an Air Cast, so I can take it off to go swimming in the pools on the ship, not sure about going to the beaches though.

For your question about tipping, we've only done the cruise excursions and we usually give $5.00 to the driver and guide each. When we go to Europe, we go on Rick Steves' small tour groups that include the tips in the total cost of the tour. I think the most pushy was in Jamaica last summer when we went on a private bus tour booked through the resort with our family wedding group to Negril...they were very clear that a big tip was expected.

Waiting to hear more about your cruise...love the great photos too.

MadamePapillon from near Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Great turtle pic's! We've gone on Silver Moon on Barbados twice, their two catamaran's are also smaller with fewer passengers.

We always tip the crew on boats, drivers, etc. Have been on many private tours and a few ship sponsored, but I guess I haven't noticed if there was a difference about asking for tips and/or having a jar out.

Sorry to hear about the Patriots receiver being injured again. But knowing Belichek and Brady they'll keep on winning:)

Could be worse, you could be Lions fans like us!

Edited by bouhunter

You're brave bringing up tipping! Might as well go to dining room dress code next (I kid). I usually see/her a cue for tips so surprising to read that wasn't the case. I always think a tip is deserved? Maybe something has changed with the policy.

Great sea turtle pics. Glad to hear the tour was respectful of the turtles. When I was in Barbados on a ship sponsored exclusion I remember kids grabbing the turtles shells and getting pulled. Not my idea of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah certainly don't mean to open a can of worms- I really am wondering. The biggest surprise is not a mention of tips for the royal tours; that's completely new for us!

I'm loving your cruise review...we're on the Dec. 28 NYE cruise with the same itinerary. We've been to St. Maarten 3 times (once for one week), Dominica and Barbados, but the other 2 ports are new.

This cruise will be different for us, I broke a bone in my left foot on Nov 27, so I'll be using a wheelchair and crutches to get around. Thankfully I have an Air Cast, so I can take it off to go swimming in the pools on the ship, not sure about going to the beaches though.

For your question about tipping, we've only done the cruise excursions and we usually give $5.00 to the driver and guide each. When we go to Europe, we go on Rick Steves' small tour groups that include the tips in the total cost of the tour. I think the most pushy was in Jamaica last summer when we went on a private bus tour booked through the resort with our family wedding group to Negril...they were very clear that a big tip was expected.

Waiting to hear more about your cruise...love the great photos too.

MadamePapillon from near Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Sorry about your foot! I'm sure you will still have a great time! Thanks for your thoughts about tipping.

Great turtle pic's! We've gone on Silver Moon on Barbados twice, their two catamaran's are also smaller with fewer passengers.

We always tip the crew on boats, drivers, etc. Have been on many private tours and a few ship sponsored, but I guess I haven't noticed if there was a difference about asking for tips and/or having a jar out.

Sorry to hear about the Patriots receiver being injured again. But knowing Belichek and Brady they'll keep on winning:)

Could be worse, you could be Lions fans like us!

I was just surprised that no one asked on any of our tours!! It was so unusual, i was starting to think it was a policy or something...in the Bahamas they had a tip jar for the guys driving the Blue Lagoon ferry!

Yeah, Gronk...its a bummer when you have a season where you've lost 4 of your top 5 players on the team - all thats left is Brady and that must be why somehow they just keep winning. We were on the side of the field where Gronk went down...it was bad!

This pic tells a story- you can see the guys praying and look at #11 (Edelman) you can tell he knows the drill; its "ova"! The linemen are like herd animals; they are always together! DH didn't have the biggest telephoto with him, but I think he got a very good wide shot here!

857485_10152105624944797_1303507324_o.jpg

Bye Gronk...get well soon!:(

1405047_10152105624994797_1476984230_o.jpg

On our Jewel cruise we won't be visiting Barbados (Been there 3 previous times). I would love to get copies of some of your turtle pictures. I would love to make a turtle quilt.

Norine

Norine- you would be welcome to use them...I think all you have to do is right click on one and you get an option to "download" it to your own computer...from their you can do whatever magic you do to make it into a quilt pattern. If that won't work...send me an email and I will attach them to that for you! (Im in awe that anyone can quilt..it's amazing!!) Could you post a pic on this review sometime way down the road when its done? I'd love to see it!

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 6 Barbados: Sail away

We got back to Calabaza's berth in the inner harbor and took our pre arranged taxi back to the pier. On our way back in we noticed how many people were using the free wifi and decided to re board; get our devices and do the same before being at sea another whole day. We had another 1/2 hour of free wifi on the ship; but frankly it was so slow that it wouldn't be enough time to do anything but attempt to download some messages and hope to read them. We probably would not have enough minutes to actually respond. So we changed out of our bathing suits and went out to the pier to check mail. Luckily, everything was just fine...we had been texting, so we knew the important things were ok!

After boarding again, we got ready for dinner while watching Jewel sail away from Barbados!

( A Barbadian Coast Guard ship)

153587132.jpg

(here is my "things that go" scene as we left port! You can see the P&O and the Coast Guard vessel on the right)

153587136.jpg

(this was a sunset cruise [non Jewel cruisers obviously] heading out...but this gives you an idea of the amount of people on those big cats- this one is cool runnings!)

153587138.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 6 Barbados: Sail Away: rainbows!

Sometimes when you sail away from your last port, you get a little something special...

(pano of port)

153596218.jpg

153587126.jpg

153587128.jpg

(and sometimes you get a double something special!)

153587130.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Day 6 Barbados: Dinner and Show

Before dinner we decided to check out the photos we had taken, and got our "complimentary" ones and since I couldn't decide we bought one more!

We had dinner at 6:45 PM and sat with Ricky again.

Day 6 Dinner Jasmine Menu

Snow Crab Salad

Three Cheese Tortellini (with mushrooms)

Fisherman's Platter (Lobster Tail and Garlic shrimp)

Braised Beef Duo (rib and shoulder)

Thai Chicken Breast

Soy Meatballs

DH who doesn't eat seafood calls this the "mushroom menu" since it has mushrooms in nearly every dish offered (and he doesn't eat those either!!) He has an easier time with the Shiitake menu and that's named for a mushroom! I had Fisherman's plate, salad, and chilled peach soup, and DH had pablano pepper and corn soup, and Thai chicken. We chatted briefly with a couple from upstate NY; every night we met nice people at our "overly cozy" MTD section; but never felt like we had to keep up conversations, just were able to exchange some pleasantries about our days!

Upon discovering nothing on the desert menu that appealed, we made our way to the Windjammer for ice cream.

(as you can see the WJ is quite cozy and quiet in the evenings!)

153596220.jpg

The show tonight was the "Platters" performing at 7 and 9 PM. We decided to attend this one. We learned that this group is the only officially "licensed" to call themselves the "Platters". Of course, none of the original members still performs with this group, but they were talented and they really did a show that covered the musical history of the Platters and other African American groups that were performing during the times when radio play segregation was still happening. It was interesting. Then the group moved onto more modern artists whose sound was influenced by the Platters in some way. It was an energetic and entertaining show!

(the "new" Platters)

153596223.jpg

After the show we stuck our head in the Pit Stop to see what was happening with Thursday Night Football (not much- these match ups have been mostly disappointing!)

Edited by Familygoboston

A little surprise from Sean our cabin attendant

I always travel with a little magnetic white board for the cabin door. Usually we use it when there are more than 2 of us to communicate about the whens and wheres of our day. I also use it to make requests of our cabin steward. Because we were sailing just the two of us and our cabin was tucked so far in the corner; we really used it just to put up silly messages for Sean each day. Every day when we would go off I would draw a little doodle of our plans and write a note. Today I left this note and Sean had a reply for me!

153587119.jpg

and when we opened our door...we saw the sea turtle had made good on his promise!

153587122.jpg

70's Party in the Centrum

I think that this party (which is held on just about every Royal ship I've been on) is most fun in the Centrum. The vertical and "in the round" nature of of the Centrum allows everyone to be "close to the action". If you aren't in the right spot on a Royal Promenade, the action seems a million miles away. My DM and DD's and I had a ball on deck 6 dancing at this party 2 years ago. This group was a little more sedate. The folks on the floor on deck 4 were really getting into it; but the rest of the Centrum was really just watching instead of participating.

(pano of the scene at the 70's party with folks watching)

153596222.jpg

(cruise staff on the stairs and Carly- with the "big" afro dancing)

153587143.jpg

153587145.jpg

(this young man was the "so you think you can dance" star of our cruise...every time there was a dance or party, he'd be out there showing off his moves! He was quite talented!!)

153587147.jpg

(and no 70's party is complete without a visit from the Village People)

153587149.jpg

(and of course you only get the elevator "gag" at a Centrum 70's party!)

153587151.jpg