Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

Woody's Off the Beaten Path Tour

Driving to the Rosalie River and Atlantic side

(after a recent mudslide...this was the "repair" to the bridge)

153596211.jpg

(A roadside scene with cattle)

153596212.jpg

(A banana plantation- bananas are bagged to hasten ripening and preventing bugs)

153596214.jpg

Rosalie river lunch and swim

(Pano of the Atlantic side near the Rosalie River)

153596213.jpg

153587028.jpg

153587031.jpg

(Once at the Rosalie river, we were able to wade across it to this little black sand peninsula on the Atlantic ocean. As you can see the water was very rough, here, not for swimming! We swam in the shallow river which was warm and freshwater)

153587040.jpg

153587033.jpg

(where the river meets the Atlantic Ocean)

153587035.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Rosalie River, Lunch and Swim

(this is the same view as we saw way up high in the previous post...now we are at the little peninsula along the river side looking in the same direction)

153587038.jpg

(a selfie on the beach)

153587042.jpg

(lunch was pretty simple fare- cheese sandwiches and sun chips...but all the rum punch you could drink, and local beer. We got the feeling Woody would party as hard or as little as you like! He described a group of German tourists whom he took out the day before and were mostly interested in hanging at the beach and drinking rum punch, and that's what he was happy to do! Our group enjoyed a beverage now and then, but also liked touring around, and he was happy to do that!)

153587044.jpg

(along the bank of the Rosalie River- as you can see; there weren't any other people there except for Woody's group of 4. It was very romantic in a way, to be on this deserted beach. It truly was "off the beaten path"; you can also see the nature of the beach, it's very natural, and rocky, not silky white sands)

153587047.jpg

Visit to Mr Nyce's fruit stall

Next up was a promise to meet a local character...Woody's friend, Mr Nyce, owns a roadside fruit stand and is happy to do a little demo of the local fruits and offer these to you to sample as well as a little "stand up comedy" in exchange for a few dollars tip;) His stand is a shack along the roadside, and many of the cabbies on tour stop by with their guests to get a little local color and flavor! Mr Nyce shows how to open a coconut, offers coconut water and shows how to eat a cocoa bean with a toasted coconut concoction of his that tastes exactly like an Almond Joy!! He cuts up a pineapple, and shows you what sugar cane looks like and picks the strongest guys to try pressing a little sugar cane in an old fashioned press like those used by the slaves on sugar plantations in Dominica years ago. In the process, you have a few laughs, get to sample some tasty local fruits and all for a buck or two!

(Mr Nyce with an array of local fruits)

153587049.jpg

(the guys pressing the sugar cane)

153587052.jpg

(Mr Nyce with our pitcher of "sugar"; we all tried it, it was waaaay to sweet, but then he added a little lime, and it was perfect!! All that was missing was a shot of rum!)

153587054.jpg

Now, it would appear Mr Nyce and I have met previously...he was quite sure he "knew" me from a previous visit; from the sounds of things it sounded like a very "enjoyable" time. Of course, I have never been to Dominica and I don't think Mr Nyce has left...and I'm pretty certain that the woman he was thinking of from more than 20 years ago, is probably a very old lady now! But I played along, making slashing motions to my throat and pointing to DH as if I didn't want Mr Nyce to spill the beans about our little prior meeting:p We all had a good laugh, and Mr Nyce asked if he could have a picture...I indulged, him of course, and sent it off to Woody's facebook, so he can share it with the very charming Mr Nyce!

(Mr Nyce and I)

153587056.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Down to Layou Valley

Caribbean- Macouchetie beach swim

Our next stop was a local beach on the Caribbean side as we made our way back to the Layou Valley. There was a little sign made by the owners; all beaches are public, but these owners were kind enough to open up their property and allow folks to access the beach from their drive.

(sign at Macouchetie)

153596215.jpg

(the calm Caribbean Sea)

153587059.jpg

This was our last photo at the beach because DH's water camera got the sand in the shutter button at this point. We stayed here about 45 minutes or so, and had a swim, more snacks and beverages and the black sand beach was hot!!

We rode back to the pier through several villages along the Caribbean coast. It was fun to see the homes and shops as we literally drove through the main ring road at a time of day when the school children were coming home and people were taking the bus home from work. Woody even pointed out his favorite watering hole in his village of Mahaut

(Woody's favorite bar in Mahaut which we passed during the ride back to the pier)

153596216.jpg

To give you an idea of our route, I've posted a picture of a photo copy of a map Woody gave us (yeah, real high quality images here:rolleyes:...I apologize, but the map is huge (the island is huge) and in order to get the section we toured, I needed to photo copy it)

If you follow the red arrows you will see roughly the route we traveled that took roughly from 9:30 AM - 4 PM. We went from Roseau through the magnificent Trios Pitons (three mountains) National park and UNESCO Site out to Rosalie on the Atlantic side. Then we went back across Dominica a little further north following the Layou river valley, where we stopped for a swim in the Caribbean before heading back to Roseau. This is a tiny fraction of all this island has to offer...we certainly felt it deserves a return visit to see the more "beaten path" sites as well as the way, way off the beaten path sites you could access if you had a day or two to travel further north into the country. If you are a serious huker, Woody can do a point to point camping hiking trip through the center of the island that takes several days of strenuous hiking. While that sounds somewhat appealing, I keep thinking back to that giant boa skin we saw at the beginning of our tour!!:eek:

(Map)

1040841_10202585681941095_1916166704_o.jpg

Warning: As much as it might be tempting to grab this really terrific image (as if!) I've made here and head out in a rental- don't do it! The roads were rough in places, unmarked in other places and really with out the narrative of what you are seeing and knowing exactly which little dirt path leads you down to these spectacular sights, what would be the point!?! Contact Woody- let him know what you want your day to be like and I assure you, you will have a wonderful time!

(And, no he didn't pay me to say that!)

Nap and sail away

After such a busy tour with Woody and the whippersnappers from Canada, we were ready for our nap! We usually roused ourselves just in time to get a few photos of the sail away, today was not different- out on the balcony till dusk, then time to clean up for Formal Night!

(a look at the homes in the hills of Dominica along the Caribbean coastline)

153587061.jpg

153587063.jpg

It was cool to see Domenica. It is fun to see other people's picture of places that I have been. And it is just as enjoyable to other people's pictures of places that I have not been but hope to get to. This is a place that I have not been to but hope to some time.

Formal Night

After dressing we sat and chatted with Lee and Tim in the Centrum, our pals we had met from the balcony of the theater for a few of the shows. We enjoyed hearing all about their day at the more "beaten" sites and their experience with hiring a cabbie, spur of the moment on the dock. (This worked out perfectly fine for them, so it just goes to show you, you can have a fabulous time whether you are a super planner like me and Mrs OneNewf, or a wing it sort of traveler like Lee!

We decided to have one more crack at getting DH in front of the camera...he's a little pop eyed here (that happens to him, we think its the blue eyes:o) but I like that his shirt and tie match my dress. That's one of those things some people like to do on a cruise, and we do too sometimes. But I am not all put off by the way other people dress. My opinion, but I would love to see them have a more casual section at all times and a section for people who like to get all formal and really are put off by those who don't feel like making the effort. It seems to me it would make everyone happy! But I am never bothered by what anyone else has on or not in the dining room...I'm a firm believer in it's your cruise "why not!"

SO I will post this one in case Mrs Onenewf sees it, I told her about my dress (a bit daring for me; all that color and "of the moment" hemline) and then took it off before I got to see her again. She is a very fashionable lady, one of those beautiful woman who makes EVERYTHING look great! And I really wanted her opinion (really, I wanted her approval...because I had gone out on a limb and I like to think I could dress with the cool kids just once in a while;))

(Formal Night Pictures- we liked this spot by the Centrum and DH liked this photographer so we went there again)

153717219.jpg

(I got husband to bring us down to size this time:o:D)

The top tier event was held in the Safari club at 7:45 PM, we stopped by and we did sit with a few couples from our roll call and the Assistant Hotel director came by to chat with our group.

But we had dinner at 8, so we left before they got to the announcements and "awards". We embarrassingly, ran into Capt Gus coming in as we were going out, and being a personable guy, he wanted to be assured we didn't mind the delay that morning; and we assured him that it was no problem at all...safety first! We made profuse apologies for leaving and complimented the wonderful cruise and Jewel and her crew on our way to dinner!

Day 5 Dinner Shiitake menu

Chicken Caesar

Shrimp Gyoza

Fillet of Sole

Roasted rack of Lamb

Veal Scaloppini Oscar

Conchiglioni pasta

We had dinner back in Ricky's section. DH had conchiglioni pasta and I had 4 appetizers becasue the Shiitake menu is not one of my favorites. The spinach artichoke dip, shrimp cocktail, ceviche, and mango pineapple soup were all excellent and Ricky happily paced my apps with DH's dinner. Excellent service all week!! For dessert they had our favorites strawberry pavlova and warm chocolate cake!

We met a couple from NY and British couple on either side of us.

The show for Day 5 was Production Showtime City of Dreams shown at 7 PM and 9 PM. As you can probably guess, I had already seen it and we decided to take a pass!

We changed into our casual clothes and went for a walk around the promenade, We ran into Mr and Mrs Onewfonenot, who had realized they were in fact on Calabaza with us in the morning! We find this "smaller" ship nice in that you do run into the same people multiple times- and that's enjoyable!

After a stroll around we thought about joining in with the Latin party, which looked and sounded like a blast, but we were beat! Aren't we just a barrel of laughs!?!:rolleyes:

Edited by Familygoboston

It was cool to see Domenica. It is fun to see other people's picture of places that I have been. And it is just as enjoyable to other people's pictures of places that I have not been but hope to get to. This is a place that I have not been to but hope to some time.

I'm with you OB...I love other peoples vacation photos, it's weird, but I just love to see stuff whether I've been there or not!! Based on what I "know" about you form CC; I think you would like Dominca very much!!:D

Woody's tour looks amazing. I'll have to remember it if I'm ever fortunate enough to end up in Dominica. Looks really neat and different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tyler, it was big trade off to go for quiet and personalized vs really seeing all the stuff the island is "known" for on a first visit, but I thought it was worth it! I certainly want to go back, plenty to do there for someone like us who like to explore and hike and swim and see stuff you don't see just everywhere! I hope you get there one day! :D

Your review is amazing! I love all your pictures! Thanks for reminding me how wonderful this cruise was.

Thanks! You are welcome to share your here too if you like! I'm always interested in what other folks do in the same cruise! There were so many things we missed that would have been fun too!:D

Maybe I missed it, but was there a website for Woody's tour? How did you learn about it? Do you think this is something that teenagers would also enjoy? They are the kid of kids who like an adventure! One of my girls is unable to hike a long ways...am curious how much of this tour was on foot and on uneven ground when you were "footing" it? Were you ever worried that you were not going to make it back to the ship in time?

Thanks for all of your insight! :D

Maybe I missed it, but was there a website for Woody's tour? How did you learn about it? Do you think this is something that teenagers would also enjoy? They are the kid of kids who like an adventure! One of my girls is unable to hike a long ways...am curious how much of this tour was on foot and on uneven ground when you were "footing" it? Were you ever worried that you were not going to make it back to the ship in time?

Thanks for all of your insight! :D

We have him booked for 31st Dec and contacted him via Facebook. Search Woody Dominica. We have been chatting lots and work out exactly what we want to get from our day tour. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to most out of a two week trip!

I noticed on your cruise compass that self assist departure is restricted to US citizens only. Never come across that before, we prefer to self assist and get off early and enjoy a day exploring. Any one have any idea if this is just in PR or if policy has changed?. (Last self assist for us (uk citizens) was in US was Baltimore last January).

I suspect it has something to do with what time the port staffs customs for non-US Citizens. No early staff...no international self-disembarkation.

We also loved Dominica a few years ago on a Princess cruise. No Diamonds International at all!:D I think Dominica is new on the RCI itineraries?

Woody's tour looks like a fabulous way to see the island. We went on a private bus tour with our Roll Call. It included a stop for snorkeling at Champagne Reef, where you snorkel among the active volcano bubbles. It was a unique experience I can honestly say I have never done anywhere else. Our cruise in May won't be visiting Dominica. Too bad.

I am looking forward to the next addition to your marvelous review.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

It seems like you liked Dominica. That always brings a smile to my face. My wife and I are constantly proselytizing for that island due to its unmolested beauty. It really is my favorite. Loving your review by the way.

yes! I agree!!

Thanks for all of your insight!

You have to reach him through his Facebook page, Woody Dominica.

I think it would be ideal for teens...Woody is a youthful guy, very cool, and works with youth on the island (coaching fencing for instance) so I can imagine your girls will love him! For DD with walking challenges, there is not any "hiking", there are a few paths from the parking, but not more than several steps. The terrain is uneven, these aren't paved parking lots and paths, but its not strenuous or hilly, with Woody's 4wheel, if he knows you have an issue, I bet he can get even closer if need be, and I know he'd "assist" if needed; none of this liability crap you get with other more "formal" tours who won't assist! The hardest part would be the stairs to the falls, its a slightly slippery and uneven 2 flights, but there is plenty to do without going down there (little shops and snacks) and even if she did the first landing, you can "see" the falls from there.

I would not worry too much about "missing the boat"...these guides live and die by their Trip Adviser ratings, one or two people reporting that they didn't get back in time would be the kiss of death! Woody was very good about organizing the tour so that we were back on time; we never had to say "should we be getting back?" or wondering if we were headed in the right direction in time. He updated us about where we were headed next, how long we'd be there etc. As I said a very North American sensibility vs "island time" ;)

Also, Woody seemed to know EVERYONE we saw along the way on our tour, I can't even imagine Woody not being able to "phone a friend" and get us a ride back if something went wrong with his vehicle. Most folks on these islands know each other...we walked by some guys in the port and said " we are looking for Woody?" and they said "oh Woody is always over that way" We've rarely NOT had that experience in these ports...they all know eachother;)

Handy TIP (for everyone):

Did you know that in every port there is a port agent who is available even if the ship has left to assist you?? That persons name and contact info is in fine print on the shopping maps (don't even get me started on those useless, dopey shopping maps:rolleyes:) )but this is a good reason to grab one on your way out.

Should ANYTHING happen and you need assistance or to contact the ship (got stuck in the hospital because of an accident? miss the ship?)you can call the port agent (he's likely to have a rep at the pier) and they can contact the ship and assist you with arrangements. People who have had a crises report they are really helpful...even if stuff is at your expense, they really help pave the way and support you!

Whenever I leave the ship for an independent tour I always take the Port Agent info, (and a copy of my Passport)...any other person on the island will likely know of them and can contact them for you even if you don't have cell service on the island.

Did you know this?? I didn't until recently myself!! Hope I never need one, but good to know!! :D And positively the only potentially useful info on the 4 page map:rolleyes:

1471303_10202590126292201_639391523_n.jpg

I suspect it has something to do with what time the port staffs customs for non-US Citizens. No early staff...no international self-disembarkation.

Yeah, Im clueless as to why...but I just know it's so:(

We also loved Dominica a few years ago on a Princess cruise. No Diamonds International at all!:D I think Dominica is new on the RCI itineraries?

Woody's tour looks like a fabulous way to see the island. We went on a private bus tour with our Roll Call. It included a stop for snorkeling at Champagne Reef, where you snorkel among the active volcano bubbles. It was a unique experience I can honestly say I have never done anywhere else. Our cruise in May won't be visiting Dominica. Too bad.

I am looking forward to the next addition to your marvelous review.

Yes, having no DI is usually one of the characteristics that raises a destination in our opinion (it's a lovely store, truly, I don't have anything against diamonds, ;) but does every port need 4??)

Yeah, I would have like to try that snorkeling...it sounds really neat! Guess we all have another reason to go back now!

I am writing Barbados, furiously...somehow this time of year, everything is craaazy!! But I will have Barbados today!!

Edited by Familygoboston

Dinner

We have MTD and we book a slightly different time each night, based on our predicted activities. But our plans often changed and so did many of our dining times. This was easily accommodated and we never waited more than 5 minutes to be seated and only once had to sit in another section, after requesting our same waiters subsequent nights.

The dinner menu was (Mojo) and we dined at 6pm, in order to be done before muster at 8 PM. They were not allowing seating's later than 6:30 for MTD in order to move everyone out by 8 PM and we did see a fairly significant line at MTD at 8:30 PM after muster. So that is something to avoid by going earlier or planning a very late diner (9 PM) Our waiter was Ricky from the Philippines and our assistant waiter was Rosendo from Dominican Republic. They were both superb and we requested them every night.

The MTD section for pairs along the Promenade window wall is very tight. You are really dining at one long table with small gaps between them with pairs to your right and left. It would be impossible to have any kind of a personal or private conversation, even if you used the quietest voice possible. (which neither DH or I posses;)) It did make it nice to chat with the folks to your right or left, but you had enough distance that if the conversation petered you could still act as if you were at "separate" tables. I found this to be a nice mix of social and alone time, but it did limit our dinner conversation to pretty mundane issues and no personal topics.

(MTD kiosk- this is an example of my "bad" pictures)

153596200.jpg

(DR set up for lunch)

153587170.jpg

(DH and Ricky our waiter - this is an example of my "bad" pictures)

153596231.jpg

(you can just see the table set up against the window wall on the far right of this photo of the MTD section)

153587169.jpg

(No photo of Rosendo, just his sign)

153596196.jpg

[/b]

We just got off Jewel last Saturday.

I see the picture with Roy greeting you as you enter the MDR. He was absolutely fantastic! Got one of our WOW cards.

I also see you had our same waiter and ass't waiter. They were absolutely the worst we ever experienced. Totally ignored us for a table of 10 next to us. Stood and chatted with them for up to 10 minutes at a time while we waited to order or get our next course. Many times we had to ask for beverages, bread, coffee etc. Rarely did anything come without asking. One night our main course arrived and we asked for bread. Another night dessert was dropped off and still no coffee. We assumed it would follow. Never did. Fortunately 3 nights a waitress from a separate section saw us sitting while they were chatting and came over to help us.