New menus and ***** !!!!!

trebork

Don't waste your breath. You are surrounded by Carnival "defenders" who in reality will defend any move or "brilliant" improvement Carnival makes. Carnival has found a way (brilliantly I might add) to convince the masses again that they have come up with an incredible improvement to the main dining room experience. This from the same organization that gave us improvements like a spokesperson who never quite shares the most accurate information and the company that brought you FTTF. Oh yes and the line that does not understand the importance to its guests of quality entertainment or worse yet, live music. Funny how no other line has felt it wise to offer their own spokesperson or appreciably downgraded their entertainment product or developed a program that enables anyone to reap many of the loyalty benefits that Carnival's best supporters get. Oh that's right they have to pay $50 a cabin for this. Bottom line is that Carnival has done this as a cost cutting move and the proof will be in the pudding (pardon the pun)

This is a line that must charge less then its competitors to survive. So it is no secret they must continuously reduce costs and this new dining experience will be no exception.

You might be right. There are people confused, its probably all of us not you.;) Oh, wait another way to see it is the30 or 40 Carnival trashers that can always find a way to find something negative, are the ones confused....let me see.

I dont think they are trying to necessarily save money but trying to get back the customers they have been losing.

You really think they make this type of food change and not consider that it would save them money? Their whole business model has been cut,cut, and cut. This change is no different.

You really think they make this type of food change and not consider that it would save them money? Their whole business model has been cut,cut, and cut. This change is no different.

How are they cutting with these new menus? And don't say table cloths. What evidence with the sample menus that were realased do you have that these are an attempt to cut back nd save money? Please share.

You might be right. There are people confused, its probably all of us not you.;) Oh, wait another way to see it is the30 or 40 Carnival trashers that can always find a way to find something negative, are the ones confused....let me see.

From one of the 30 or 40 trashers to a clear member of the defenders, I assure you that this new dining program will be a downgrade. After 26 cruises on Carnival over the last 8 or 9 years Carnival has been consistent about one thing. They are good at taking things away and telling you how they have made it better. I am afraid the new MDR dining program will be no exception. Other then rooms available upon boarding, there is a growing list of takeaways. But hey, of course I would say that, I am a "trasher". Let's agree to disagree.

How are they cutting with these new menus? And don't say table cloths. What evidence with the sample menus that were realased do you have that these are an attempt to cut back nd save money? Please share.

I agree. These people who keep mentioning "cost cutting" haven't been able to give one example to support their claim. Personally I don't feel the new menu is cost cutting by any means. In all honesty it's probably more of a lateral move, but it's just something different.

From one of the 30 or 40 trashers to a clear member of the defenders, I assure you that this new dining program will be a downgrade. After 26 cruises on Carnival over the last 8 or 9 years Carnival has been consistent about one thing. They are good at taking things away and telling you how they have made it better. I am afraid the new MDR dining program will be no exception. Other then rooms available upon boarding, there is a growing list of takeaways. But hey, of course I would say that, I am a "trasher". Let's agree to disagree.

I disagree I think many could argue in the last 8 or 9 years Carnival has offered a consistent product at a great value. Carnival could have raised their prices and offered more services, but they haven't. Their main focus is providing a great affordable product. In 2013 what they currently offer, is what they feel they can offer at a good price. If you are unhappy, then by all means other cruise lines offer their product, usually, at a more expensive rate.

I disagree I think many could argue in the last 8 or 9 years Carnival has offered a consistent product at a great value. Carnival could have raised their prices and offered more services, but they haven't. Their main focus is providing a great affordable product. In 2013 what they currently offer, is what they feel they can offer at a good price. If you are unhappy, then by all means other cruise lines offer their product, usually, at a more expensive rate.

Tater, Tater, Tater, :o . Your missing the ship ;)

I agree. These people who keep mentioning "cost cutting" haven't been able to give one example to support their claim. Personally I don't feel the new menu is cost cutting by any means. In all honesty it's probably more of a lateral move, but it's just something different.

Really? You don't think replacing bands with mp3s was cost cutting?

How about eliminating the captains cocktail party?

With this menu, it says cost cutting all over it. Tilapia is probably the cheapest fish you can get. Don't see much shell fish but do see a lot of chicken- chicken

is cheaper than shrimp.

"Crisp carrots"? Hey they are carrots! Big whoop.

"Potato crisps"? Those are potato chips! Wow, potato chips

as an appetizer!

Wanna price out a bag of chips and compare the price to

a plate of panko shrimp?

With this menu, it says cost cutting all over it. Tilapia is probably the cheapest fish you can get. Don't see much shell fish but do see a lot of chicken- chicken

is cheaper than shrimp.

as an appetizer!

a plate of panko shrimp?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was referring to people throwing the cost cutting word around in regards to the new menu changes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by TennesseeTater

is cheaper than shrimp.

as an appetizer!

a plate of panko shrimp?

Hopefully this will work out well. Will see this on the

Glory in a few months.

Taking away tablecloths is defiantly a cost saving measure. Now if they would reinvest those saving into more dining room service or better entertainment instead of just adding to the bottom line, I would be all for it.

Unfortunately, it seems every time something is taken away, even if something is put in as a change, it is usually a poor substitute, downgraded or diluted.

I hope I am wrong and the menu turns out to be a good thing. I didn't mind when they changed to the everyday menu because it got my husband to the dining room more often knowing there would be something there he would like. (He's a plain and simple food guy) I would miss the extravagance of fine meals though if they changed the menu too much. I think most that prefer the dining room to the buffet would feel the same.

Not a deal breaker either way. We don't cruise just for food. I can't say I might not be disappointed in the new direction though.

Well you do have one more crusie on Carnival than us. We have average 2+ a year and found none of things you allude to. You have made up your mind about the MDR changes in advance (as have the rest of the trashing crew...it's what you guys do). I will wait and experience the new "enhancements" and then report back. What a novel idea;)

Well you do have one more crusie on Carnival than us. We have average 2+ a year and found none of things you allude to. You have made up your mind about the MDR changes in advance (as have the rest of the trashing crew...it's what you guys do). I will wait and experience the new "enhancements" and then report back. What a novel idea;)

I average 4+ a year (total 12) on Carnival and find what Cruising Rules alludes to be consistant with my views, I haven't made my mind up about the MDR changes but if the past is a predictor of the future the MDR changes will be a cut back ...

"consistent product at a great value"

That's puffery at its finest, two things that can't be defined.

Carnival's main focus is not in providing an affordable product; it is is in making a profit. If they could, they'd charge double for their cabins and watch the cash roll in. They can't as cabin prices are set to market, not by the whims of CCL. This has changed recently as they will no longer drop prices to the point where chips sail full. This is their way of getting prices to increase in the long term. CCL's actions show how wrong you are,

For those of you that think this and have stopped sailing Carnival, good for you. Enjoy the other cruise lines.

For those of you that think like this yet continue to cruise Carnival, how dumb are you? :confused: How many brain cells do some of you have? :confused:

Carnival's main focus is not in providing an affordable product; it is is in making a profit. If they could, they'd charge double for their cabins and watch the cash roll in. They can't as cabin prices are set to market, not by the whims of CCL. This has changed recently as they will no longer drop prices to the point where chips sail full. This is their way of getting prices to increase in the long term. CCL's actions show how wrong you are,

You are correct. Carnival is a business and their main purpose is to make a profit. I said consistent product, not consistently good product, although my experiences have all been positive

Remember, just a few years ago I could fill up my car tank for $20, today it's around $45. Costs have gone up across the board for everything.

Carnival could double their cabin prices, but they would have to be able to justify that. The product they currently offer does not justify that. The product they offer now justifies them as being one of the more affordable lines. If you want something better, there are cruise lines that offer that.

I'm not going to debate who's right and wrong. It's opinion, and your history shows you will forever be negative towards carnival.

Happy Cruising.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wouldn't we all charge double and watch the cash roll in? I know I would.

Funny how people make up their minds with such little information. I am neither for or against the changes. I don't have enough information yet. Maybe after I try it I will form my opinion. But it does sound worth trying.

While you have taken a wait and see attitude (which of course is logical) I feel I have been conditioned by continuous disappointments over the years. MY experience over the last few years is improvements at Carnival are synonymous with cost reductions. I hope your wait and see attitude is one that finds that at CCL for the first time in many years, improvements do mean something better. If I am wrong then maybe Carnival finally got the message. If I am unfortunately correct, then I can vote with my wallet. Thanks for your input.

While you have taken a wait and see attitude (which of course is logical) I feel I have been conditioned by continuous disappointments over the years. MY experience over the last few years is improvements at Carnival are synonymous with cost reductions. I hope your wait and see attitude is one that finds that at CCL for the first time in many years, improvements do mean something better. If I am wrong then maybe Carnival finally got the message. If I am unfortunately correct, then I can vote with my wallet. Thanks for your input.

I learned very early in life that bad information equals bad decisions. The more information you have the better the decision. I am not going to get worked up and decide to bash Carnival or make up my mind about something with the very little information we have.

I will wait until it actually happens and we get some facts.

Also it is only a test. It might not even take full effect.