UPDATE: Dining changes to be released today!

CarnivalBreeze319

No doubt it will cost Carnival a fortune to roll these changes out across the fleet. Spending money ^= cost cutting (^= is not equal for the maths challenged)

As I've said a number of times before - it doesn't matter what Carnival does, complainers are going to complain and haters are going to hate.

Changes are always due to cost cutting measures, so don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon.

Mmmm..I'd say that in most successful businesses, changes are often an attempt to increase long-term profit margins, but that doesn't always = cost cutting.

Changes are always due to cost cutting measures, so don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon. There's a reason they are testing this out, as well, to see how it is received.

Here's the link with the changes:

They may be saving $ not washing linen so much but they are doing new tables which cost $. I don't think it's about cutting cost at all. I think it's about growing and changing with the times.

A lot of people stopped eating in the MDR because it was always the same thing. I would be one of those too if it weren't for my hubby loving his choc melting cake! Lol

Changes are always due to cost cutting measures, so don't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon. There's a reason they are testing this out, as well, to see how it is received.

Sorry, doesn't always work that way.

Show me any profit based business that never changes and I will show you closed and locked doors in short order.

If there is no change, then things get old and boring and people will go spend their money with the newer and more up to date businesses.

I have to agree with Sarge, Carnival is going do be spending a good bit of money implementing these changes.

They may be saving $ not washing linen so much but they are doing new tables which cost $. I don't think it's about cutting cost at all. I think it's about growing and changing with the times.

A lot of people stopped eating in the MDR because it was always the same thing. I would be one of those too if it weren't for my hubby loving his choc melting cake! Lol

Isn't that what linens were supposed to do? Cut back on wear and tear, as well as cut the acoustics?

Sorry, doesn't always work that way.

Show me any profit based business that never changes and I will show you closed and locked doors in short order.

If there is no change, then things get old and boring and people will go spend their money with the newer and more up to date businesses.

I have to agree with Sarge, Carnival is going do be spending a good bit of money implementing these changes.

They are SO unsure, they are only testing it on four ships over X months.

It will however make it easy for the kids to bang their utensils on the table, shouting WE WANT FOOD, WE WANT FOOD.

Not fond of the whole table sharing thing at all. I prefer to order what I want and not pass it around the table.

I'm a fan of being seated with other but ths will make me request a table for only my party.

I believe that family style is an option. Sort of like at Maggiano's Italian restaurants. You can chose which way you are served.

Love the way you think you know it's cost cutting. John said that there is the same amount of food choices than before so how can you say it's a cutback?

I believe these changes are about keeping old customers happy and luring new ones. It's about increasing revenue by having more people who want to cruise carnival, so that ships sail with cabins filled at better prices, instead of having to discount a lot of cabins.

While cutting costs is one way to improve the bottom line, it can often (not always) lead to lower income, so the business generally declines and fades away. Of course, sometimes a business just figures out a way to do things more efficiently, so costs are cut while service is maintained at or above its previous level.

I suspect Carnival, while of course looking at efficiency savings in all areas of business, is also looking to once again provide customers with a wow! experience in various areas.

I will be on the Glory for the first week of the new dining scheme and I'm quite excited about the changes. I hope to still be excited about it at the end of the cruise, but it is a pilot attempt, so there will probably be some rough edges as they work everything out at full scale. Anyway, it should be fun!

I'm happy to criticize Carnival where appropriate but I really like these changes. I personally like the slightly more upscale feel of the new menu options and I really like that waiters will now be taking drink orders to avoid the eternal aggravation that is trying to flag down one of the overworked MDR bar servers who desperately want anything but to serve me a soda. The "family style" thing is inconsequential becuase you've always been able to order as much as you want and can still do so... I don't really see the issue some have with that.

Bravo Carnival! Now, lets talk about restoring the island music on the Lido deck...

I believe these changes are about keeping old customers happy and luring new ones. It's about increasing revenue by having more people who want to cruise carnival, so that ships sail with cabins filled at better prices, instead of having to discount a lot of cabins.

While cutting costs is one way to improve the bottom line, it can often (not always) lead to lower income, so the business generally declines and fades away. Of course, sometimes a business just figures out a way to do things more efficiently, so costs are cut while service is maintained at or above its previous level.

I suspect Carnival, while of course looking at efficiency savings in all areas of business, is also looking to once again provide customers with a wow! experience in various areas.

I will be on the Glory for the first week of the new dining scheme and I'm quite excited about the changes. I hope to still be excited about it at the end of the cruise, but it is a pilot attempt, so there will probably be some rough edges as they work everything out at full scale. Anyway, it should be fun!

Definitely agree with the bold. Carnival has done so much cost cutting in recent years (into the bone IMHO) that perhaps the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way a little bit...

Carnival's never going to compete with the RCIs and Norwegians in the sheer flashiness of their ships, so to the extent they want to compete at all, a little improvement like this is a good place to start. I love RCI but have never been enamored with their main dining options.

Edited by Dave85

They are SO unsure, they are only testing it on four ships over X months.

It will however make it easy for the kids to bang their utensils on the table, shouting WE WANT FOOD, WE WANT FOOD.

If you were following John on FB you would have more knowledge. GO READ! It's being tested the first month on 2 ships to iron out kinks and will roll out to all ships thru the yr.

I'm happy to criticize Carnival where appropriate but I really like these changes. I personally like the slightly more upscale feel of the new menu options and I really like that waiters will now be taking drink orders to avoid the eternal aggravation that is trying to flag down one of the overworked MDR bar servers who desperately want anything but to serve me a soda. The "family style" thing is inconsequential becuase you've always been able to order as much as you want and can still do so... I don't really see the issue some have with that.

Bravo Carnival! Now, lets talk about restoring the island music on the Lido deck...

totally agree !

No doubt it will cost Carnival a fortune to roll these changes out across the fleet. Spending money ^= cost cutting (^= is not equal for the maths challenged)

As I've said a number of times before - it doesn't matter what Carnival does, complainers are going to complain and haters are going to hate.

I agree. If they had said they were handing out gold coins at dinner people would say they are ruining the "experience". Best one yet is someone waiting to see what the CDC and the us public health department will say about the changes.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Clap Clap Clap

I totally agree. I am looking forward to being able to be one of the "test" cruisers on the Liberty in February!

No problem with changes, however, I will miss the tablecloths. It isn't that I am stuck up or must have my linen, but when liquids are spilled, the table cloth "catches" a lot more. Truthfully, some of the people I travel with (and myself, on occasion, as well) have a bit of klutzy streak. I rely on the catching ability of tablecloths or I have the potential to end up super wet! Yikes!!