Letter needed if husband misses trip?

LMaxwell

My sister and her boyfriend took his kids on the Jewel in November. They all have the same last name (what are the odds?). The asked him for a letter....luckily he had one

If they all had the same name, they must have used something else to trigger it.

It's not like they're going to ask married couples where everyone has the same name for letter authorising them to take their own kids on a cruise!

My understanding has always been that this was advised if the mother and children had different last names. Don't think I have heard of this needed in any other situation, but I do not have any direct experience,

We are in this situation and never had an issue. I used to bring their birth certificates just in case but after 5 cruises it's never come up. Not sure what is official policy though.

This is just my experience.

Edited by DrD

Im married and travel alone with my girls on cruises without their father and have never needed any kind of documentation. My understanding is it only applies in cases of divorce, to ensure there isn't a custody issue.

How would the cruise line or customs know whether or not you are going through a divorce?

I'm curious what the responses will be. I think I would be surprised if one parent was already going with the children, if a letter from the OTHER parent is required? I would think as long as one parent was traveling with them, that would be good enough. Just wondering what the policy is.

I always carry a notarized letter when taking my kids out of country without my husband.

I usually have his legal office draw it up but you can google and find templates online.

As with other similar, but different, situations that arise on Cruise Critic, I suggest you CALL THE CRUISE LINE. As you have read above, there are conflicting answers for your inquiry. Some are correct, some are partially correct, and some are plain WRONG.

I know this is a forum of very knowledgeable cruisers but this issue is very important and should not be trusted to the "public".

The cruise line is not relevant- the problem is CUSTOMS. and yes, I HAVE been asked to produce the letter before (in victoria BC) Do NOT contact your cuiseline and ask them this- contact the state department. Or just type up the letter to save grief.

It's generally 20 mintes of your time and $5 notary fee, just do it.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

Why is this an LOL? My kids mother is deceased, and US Department of State required the death certificate to get the passport, and highly recommends carrying the certificate while traveling out of the country. I'd much rather carry an extra piece of paper than be caught away from home without it.

I agree, I am not getting the LOL? Do people not travel solo with kids ever?? These are real world issues that pop up all the time and the prudent traveler takes the time to make this a non-issue by having their documents in order.

I think as long as the kids have the same last name and the proper govermental identification their should be no problem. Their are so many variables to this. What if their is no husband because the kids were legally adopted by a single parent? What if the husband is deceased? Are you suppose to carry around adoption papers and death certificates? LOL

No, this is not how it works. Sharing a last name doesnt fix it all, and yes you should of course carry adoption or death certificates with you out of country. You can claim whatever name you want for your kids, but they should still have proper documentation!

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

I have a different last name than my two sons. (I kept my maiden name). We have travelled out of the country often; three times this year alone. I have never been asked to produce any kind of letter or type of proof to US or foreign customs.

That said....take the letter. Who cares if you need it or not. You are doing it for piece of mind and to be prepared for any scenario. What can it hurt? Better to have it and never use it than to need it and not have it.

Edited by orangepeel

I have cruised with my kids and without the husband. Having a notorized letter stating when, where, with who the kids were traveling with came in handy. I was asked for it once and I was sure lucky I had it. Each time I called RCCL, I got a different answer if I would need one.

The cruise line is not relevant- the problem is CUSTOMS. and yes, I HAVE been asked to produce the letter before (in victoria BC) Do NOT contact your cuiseline and ask them this- contact the state department. Or just type up the letter to save grief.

It's generally 20 mintes of your time and $5 notary fee, just do it.

The cruise line is relevant as they are the ones that decide whether to let you on the ship. For many cruises, the only place you deal with customs is at the end of your cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app