Strong-arming the upgrade fairy!

My husband and I booked our Christmas cruise much further out than we like to, at the behest of my parents, who are traveling with us. We always choose the cheapest balcony guarantee available, which at that point was a VF for $1199. After final payment, we watched as the price of a VH guarantee - which we would have happily booked if it had been available - dropped, and dropped, and DROPPED to $699.

I've called our (giant-internet, usually frustrating and useless) TA a number of times to ask if we could at least switch our guarantee from VF to a higher V category, most of which have been way cheaper than $1199 for months. The answer was always some kind of no ("flash sale," "price only good on new bookings," etc.). On Tuesday, though, an actually helpful rep said we could, and that we'd even get some OBC for the price difference - if any cheaper, higher-category guarantee were still available. Somehow, between lunch and the end of work that day, everything but $1499 VC guarantees had vanished.

This morning, I saw a VC at $749, and immediately told my husband to call our nice rep. She contacted HAL, which came back with two offers we had to choose on right that second - either lose our Explore 4, keep the VF guarantee, and get $400 in OBC.... or lose our Explore 4 and take an assigned midship SS. Given that we've been crossing ALL of our fingers (and pestering the TA) hoping for an upsell to an SZ guarantee, an SS for no extra money sounded too good to be true! But one look at our online booking confirmed it - we've got the SS for the $1199 each we originally paid for our VF guarantee.

Sorry for the bragging, but we're just so excited that Christmas came early this year! :D If there's anything we learned from this, it's that not only can HAL's answers vary from rep to rep - so can a larger TA's. It took a ton of tries to get everything to line up with helpful people on both sides, but it was worth it when it did!

That's excellent. It so frustrating to see prices drop and drop. I realize that they do have to fill the ship but it would be nice if they started out with moderate prices instead of gouging the people that commit early and then giving away the farm to those that book late. There has to be a happy medium but HAL doesn't seem to like that route.

That's excellent. It so frustrating to see prices drop and drop. I realize that they do have to fill the ship but it would be nice if they started out with moderate prices instead of gouging the people that commit early and then giving away the farm to those that book late. There has to be a happy medium but HAL doesn't seem to like that route.

I feel like HAL ends up incentivizing last-minute bookings, which have to be problematic when they're made by a significant portion of the people on any given cruise. I did feel like we were being punished for letting them know to count on us being there, and giving them our money, months early! Especially because we book guarantee cabins, and generally go on standard-itinerary 7-day cruises at non-peak times, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by booking prior to final payment. So thankful we didn't have to learn this lesson the hard way, which it was looking like we would.

I feel like HAL ends up incentivizing last-minute bookings, which have to be problematic when they're made by a significant portion of the people on any given cruise. I did feel like we were being punished for letting them know to count on us being there, and giving them our money, months early! Especially because we book guarantee cabins, and generally go on standard-itinerary 7-day cruises at non-peak times, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by booking prior to final payment. So thankful we didn't have to learn this lesson the hard way, which it was looking like we would.

I SO hear you. I book all my cruises sometimes well over a year in advance and take a guarantee. I hope I've learned my lesson because usually I'd have at least 3 cruises booked right now. I have to book early to get decent air but I'm pretty upset with them right now so I'm going to wait a bit.

Have a wonderful Xmas cruise! I'm so jealous.

Edited by cruz chic

You are so lucky! I called my TA this morning and still have not heard back. I am not sure it is going to happen for us...:(

...But I am super happy for you! And it is always good to have additional confirmation of the U/U Fairy!:)

Enjoy your suite!

My husband and I booked our Christmas cruise much further out than we like to, at the behest of my parents, who are traveling with us. We always choose the cheapest balcony guarantee available, which at that point was a VF for $1199. After final payment, we watched as the price of a VH guarantee - which we would have happily booked if it had been available - dropped, and dropped, and DROPPED to $699.

I've called our (giant-internet, usually frustrating and useless) TA a number of times to ask if we could at least switch our guarantee from VF to a higher V category, most of which have been way cheaper than $1199 for months. The answer was always some kind of no ("flash sale," "price only good on new bookings," etc.). On Tuesday, though, an actually helpful rep said we could, and that we'd even get some OBC for the price difference - if any cheaper, higher-category guarantee were still available. Somehow, between lunch and the end of work that day, everything but $1499 VC guarantees had vanished.

This morning, I saw a VC at $749, and immediately told my husband to call our nice rep. She contacted HAL, which came back with two offers we had to choose on right that second - either lose our Explore 4, keep the VF guarantee, and get $400 in OBC.... or lose our Explore 4 and take an assigned midship SS. Given that we've been crossing ALL of our fingers (and pestering the TA) hoping for an upsell to an SZ guarantee, an SS for no extra money sounded too good to be true! But one look at our online booking confirmed it - we've got the SS for the $1199 each we originally paid for our VF guarantee.

Sorry for the bragging, but we're just so excited that Christmas came early this year! :D If there's anything we learned from this, it's that not only can HAL's answers vary from rep to rep - so can a larger TA's. It took a ton of tries to get everything to line up with helpful people on both sides, but it was worth it when it did!

Congratulations!!

Christmas did come early for you.

Enjoy your SS cabin.

So much space for you to enjoy!

I would respect HAL more if they had a consistent policy that I could understand.

Could not agree with you more! Our last cruise had many frustrating moments due to "inconsistent policies"...even ones that are clearly written as "selling points" in their brochures:(

The answer was always some kind of no ("flash sale," "price only good on new bookings," etc.).

I've encountered that a couple times in the past. My response is: OK, cancel my booking and rebook me at the new price. They have grumbled, but done it.

Heck, I cancelled by Feb 2014 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and rebooked with the Future Cruise Consultant (just to get the additional OBC) while on the Veendam (Voyage of the Vikings) this past summer.

:p

I think after booking many years with TA's, this year we booked with HAL directly, we too had a price drop on our cruise and HAL was more than willing to give us a free upgrade for the price we paid. We booked an inside GTY and got an Outside DD. So long story short, I dont like having to go through a TA when something like this comes along. I really don't think going through a TA saves much $$ either... Especially with HAL.

We have never used a TA before, but one was highly recommended by a friend so thought we would give her a try. Initially booked an MM guarantee about 4-6 weeks before 12-9-13 departure. Were initially assigned a K interior by HAL. Since have had 2 upsell proposals through the TA, first to a D Oceanview then today to a VA Veranda for a total of $148pp. The TA was very helpful in finding out exactly which cabins were available and advising us on the best ones to consider. She even held the HAL rep on the other line while we decided which cabin to take. I call that good service and certainly worth contacting her, particularly since there was no increased cost for the cruise and the TA tossed in paid travel insurance. Will definitely use her again.

I think after booking many years with TA's, this year we booked with HAL directly, we too had a price drop on our cruise and HAL was more than willing to give us a free upgrade for the price we paid. We booked an inside GTY and got an Outside DD. So long story short, I dont like having to go through a TA when something like this comes along. I really don't think going through a TA saves much $$ either... Especially with HAL.

I have a totally diff experience with my TA. I personally think that a well seasoned and experienced TA is worth it to have. It all depends on the TA just like any other profession. Ex : Not all doctors are good and so do TA's.

SNIP... I really don't think going through a TA saves much $$ either... Especially with HAL.

I can tell you from personal experience this is not the case... we always get ~12 per cent off the HAL prices and usually some OBC to go along with it from using an online TA and we have an agent at the online TA we use consistently and she gives us EXCELLENT after-sales personal service. As an example she knows we're always tracking price changes and looking for upsells and keeps on top of these for us. She ensured we were first in on an upsell to a Pinnacle Suite on our upcoming holiday cruise and our final price on the Pinnacle is over $8,000 less than what we would have paid to book it directly through HAL.

With all our cruising, we have found that the larger the travel agency that has additional group / consortium affiliations, the better the 'deals' and service. Our TA (now of many years) is associated with a good-sized agency that belongs to one of the mega-groups. They have a FT person on staff who is responsible for all dealings with HAL plus a FT person who splits her time between HAL and Seabourn. Between the TA who provides great personal service and the HAL-assigned associates, we have gotten excellent service, huge OBC as the agency and mega-consortium both provide OBC, but best of all a fairly direct line to HAL where we have gotten some amazing deals including price decreases a few days before we sailed. We have made last minute reservations and gotten assigned seating for dinner as we requested even after it was 'unavailable' on the web sites. Plus they will meet anything we can find on-line for perks like OBC on top of what they gave us anyway. Have tried the on-line services with minimal service and no help on price drops.

Okay, So I have been watching our cruise pricing on the HAL site and noticed that our DD room that we booked was almost $1K less about $500pp. I called HAL, asked if they could do anything, I told them that I wanted to stay in our current room, and boom, sure we can give you $225pp OBC said the rep... I said thank you very much have a great holiday..etc.... Took all of about 15 minutes.... Try that with a TA...

So now we have 250 OBC from our stock holders option, and 225 pp for the sale.... $700.00 OBC... I love HAL!:D:D

Hi

On my last 3 cruises the first one I went with a on line TA, The 2d I booked with directely with Hal. then I found a wonderful TA on my last cruise shes great, Im sticking with her, I had booked another cruise and got I wanted to do the Panama Canal I got a great deal and extra's I changed my ta from Hal and transfered it to her and had a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Money I would not have if I stayed wiith Hal. MTY YA is the best

Okay, So I have been watching our cruise pricing on the HAL site and noticed that our DD room that we booked was almost $1K less about $500pp. I called HAL, asked if they could do anything, I told them that I wanted to stay in our current room, and boom, sure we can give you $225pp OBC said the rep... I said thank you very much have a great holiday..etc.... Took all of about 15 minutes.... Try that with a TA...

So now we have 250 OBC from our stock holders option, and 225 pp for the sale.... $700.00 OBC... I love HAL!:D:D

My TA regularly follows up with HAL regarding price changes even after final payment with a successful outcome. I'm quite unsure as to why you think this wouldn't be the case? The fact is everyone should do what they are most comfortable with. Book directly with the cruise line if you think that's your best option or use a TA if that works for you BUT until you've actually tried both, posting your untested assumptions can mislead others.

My TA regularly follows up with HAL regarding price changes even after final payment with a successful outcome. I'm quite unsure as to why you think this wouldn't be the case? The fact is everyone should do what they are most comfortable with. Book directly with the cruise line if you think that's your best option or use a TA if that works for you BUT until you've actually tried both, posting your untested assumptions can mislead others.

You are quite lucky to happen on a good ta. I personally have never found one that gives me anything. I'm not willing to take a chance on what could be a shady Florida ta. I'm now dealing directly with Hal. Please don't assume your way is the best way. It may just be best for you.