World's largest ship just launched

OlsSalt

The very thought is scary. :eek: Of course the notion of even larger ships comes at a time that we're more and more attracted to smaller ships. Our next cruise is on the relatively small Silversea Wind. I think her max passenger capacity is around 300 which is just fine with us. :)

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but this type of vessel, and nearly this size, have been around for quite some time. The "Mont", a supertanker, was built in 1979, and is only 30 meters (100 ft) shorter, and only slightly smaller in gross tonnage. Note that she only has 3 engines of 6700 hp, which is about 15% of the Allure's power. So your cruise would take quite a while!

I'm not sure this is really considered a ship... you'll notice they used that word in quotes. This is a floating factory type vessel and isn't intended to do much other than get to a location and process gas.

Good for short-term cruises to no where. :cool:

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but this type of vessel, and nearly this size, have been around for quite some time. The "Mont", a supertanker, was built in 1979, and is only 30 meters (100 ft) shorter, and only slightly smaller in gross tonnage. Note that she only has 3 engines of 6700 hp, which is about 15% of the Allure's power. So your cruise would take quite a while!

Heck, it would take quite a while to just walk to the MDR. :cool:

I'm not sure this is really considered a ship... you'll notice they used that word in quotes. This is a floating factory type vessel and isn't intended to do much other than get to a location and process gas.

Actually, there are many of these around, and generally they are converted from supertankers that are no longer commercially viable.