Dressing for Climate--How much warm clothing?

ricker

We will be cruising from NYC to LA, via Cape Horn beginning in mid-January (38 days) and need advice as to the mix (ratio) of warm and cold weather clothes to pack. We hope to stay under our air weight allotment. I'm sure it will be very warm most of the way down, but realize we must pack some cold weather clothing for excursions in the Southern latitudes. Can you help with some advice? We also have to work in the usual "tux and gowns" type stuff. How little warm clothing can we take?

Thanks,

Rick J

We did a 21 day SA cruise (Valparaiso to Rio) starting mid-December. We packed for more clothes for warmer weather than for colder weather. For cold weather we layered: zippered fleece sweatshirts and hooded windbreakers, gloves and earmuffs. We were fine! We were in Ushaia on Christmas day and the temps were in the 50s (same for rounding Cape Horn) and at the Falklands a few days later it was about 60 degrees and breezy. It warmed up rapidly after that all the way to Rio, where it was about 90 degrees and humid. Hope this helps.

Layers is best. We were earlier in the season (Thanksgiving Day in the Falklands where it was a warm 60F) but we had clear but very cold weather in Ushaia (15 degrees with the wind chill). Since we already had down jackets, we took those. Take mittens, a stocking cap and a muffler too, just in case. It was cold around the Horn and sleeting, but we were warm enough to pose on deck for photos and to watch the sights from outdoors. Many planned poorly on our ship ("South America is tropical, right?"). We wore summer clothing in Santiago and Puerto Montt (in the 70s), and then put it away until Buenos Aires/Montevideo. Rio was in the high 90s with 85% humidity.

I agree with the layering suggestions. It never gets all that warm down here and you might find the Southern Cone chilly even in mid-summer. Also, when you get over here in Patagonia (Chile) you will likely get into some rain. That said I suggest a polar fleece jacket, waterproof windbreaker (GoreTex is best), stocking cap, and gloves. If you were coming through Puerto Montt first I'd say just wait and buy a wool stocking cap there. I don't know much about the Argentine side.

One other note about cruising the fijords and straits in Patagonia is to keep your eyes on the water. We always see lots of penguins and dolphins when we go out in our boat.

Have fun!

It's fun to hear from a native of the area....anyway I presume you're from SA. We, too, are boaters in the NW of USA and enjoy even the cold outings in Washington State's Puget Sound; we can at least appreciate how one must dress for being out on the water.

Thanks for the tip about sea life. Will we see these animals during the January and February time period? What would you recommend in the way of tours to see some of your gorgeous scenery?

Thanks Much,

Rick J

Rick,

We're "gringos", just been living down here for the last 7 years. By the way, in Chile being called "gringo" is good. Means you're taller, blond, blue eye, ect.

I'd love to compare notes on boating in your neck of the woods and ours. Bet you have some stories to tell as well!

Jan-Feb is penguin rookery time, you might try one of the tours to Ottway sound or one of the islands near Punta Arenas. You can usually get very close to them. A word of warning, though, DO NOT try touch one. Unless you like stitches that is. :) They may look like clowns but they have a short fuse. Also, NEVER, NEVER sitck your face into one of thier burrows! Believe it or not a few tourists have done that :mad:

On the ride out to Ottway keep your eyes peeled for Nandues (Emu) and foxes. Usually they can be seen on the trip. Might be Nandu rearing season as well and you might see one of the "day care" groups. Kinda neat.

There are some sea wolf colonys in the area as well but you've seen lots of those. You know them as sea lions in your area.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Layering is the way to go. We took down coats that with travel bags can be shrunk way down. A scarf, gloves or mittens, ear protection, that stuff doesn't take up a lot of space and is worth its weight. I forgot gloves and didn't want to spend a bundle on them...don't need them here in Florida...it took an hour to find a shop that sold affordable ones.

Archived