Solo on the Grandeur - Semi-live

"After that, we had the gift exchange. I received a gift from the French couple I was worried about flying in , apparently they made it! "

Euh.... It's my MOTHER ! :eek:

Excusez-moi! It must be true what they say about French women, they do not age! :)

I think that a cruise ship is more single traveller friendly than people realise. We sometimes find that we go and do different things. Hubby goes to the gym (no too often), and sometimes we have chatted to people around the ship who have a partner doing something else. Good on you! I think a review like yours is inspiring for some that may be unsure.

Did you go to the Diamond lounge at all? too. Looking forward to that. Also looking forward to your Alaska review.

I agree about the ships being solo friendly. I told my friend that I couldn't imagine leaving my hotel room in say, Myrtle Beach, at 2am and roaming the streets, but, I wouldn't think twice on a cruise.

I still have NOT been to the Diamond Lounge! Every cruise I say I will, but, then the cruise gets in the way. :D

Well, I have some bad news. My Alaska cruise is in jeopardy. I found out Wednesday that I am losing my job. It is a drugstore and the owner sold it to a Walgreens. We close on Tuesday January 21. I have interviewed with Walgreens and hopefully, will get hired on there. Then, I would have to find out their policies on time off. My final payment isn't due till March, so, I have time to think. I am sure everything will work out for the best. :)

Frenchie, here is where I need your translation!

Frenchie, this is where I need your help.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8757%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B38%3C7635257ot1lsi

House of friends of......something? Fendant? Is it wine? House of friends of wine? House of friends with wine? Frenchie, just so you know, in America, defendant means something completely different and it is something you do NOT want to be. :D

Loved your review. I saw you are going to Alaska. I am going also on May 9 on the Radiance. Are you going on the same one?

My cruise is May 30- maybe, see above post! :(

it was like I was with you, terrific review!!!

if you don't mind emailing me I have a few questions about the Grandeur, I sail on her for the first in April, here is my email address:

cavewoman40@aol.com

thanks

Nina from Baltimore

again, great job!

I'm emailing you as I type.

Well, I have some bad news. My Alaska cruise is in jeopardy. I found out Wednesday that I am losing my job. It is a drugstore and the owner sold it to a Walgreens. We close on Tuesday January 21. I have interviewed with Walgreens and hopefully, will get hired on there. Then, I would have to find out their policies on time off. My final payment isn't due till March, so, I have time to think. I am sure everything will work out for the best. :)

Oh, Maureen, I'm so sorry to hear that. Wishing you the best outcome. I'm a big believer that when one door closes, a better one opens. That and karma matters, and, from reading your reviews, you've certainly paid it forward. Wishing you the best outcome...your faithful readers will be keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Oh, Maureen, I'm so sorry to hear that. Wishing you the best outcome. I'm a big believer that when one door closes, a better one opens. That and karma matters, and, from reading your reviews, you've certainly paid it forward. Wishing you the best outcome...your faithful readers will be keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Nicely said, windjamming!! Indeed we will!! :)

Mcruiser, I've always gone into a new job with a vacation on my books and once the job offer is extended I advise of my pending plans. I've not once been denied my pre-planned vacation although I take it without pay of course. Perhaps if May is too soon for your prospective employer, they might like December--;), ;)!!! Rooting for you, kiddo!

Excusez-moi! It must be true what they say about French women, they do not age! :)

I agree about the ships being solo friendly. I told my friend that I couldn't imagine leaving my hotel room in say, Myrtle Beach, at 2am and roaming the streets, but, I wouldn't think twice on a cruise.

I still have NOT been to the Diamond Lounge! Every cruise I say I will, but, then the cruise gets in the way. :D

Walgreens has an image to uphold. As such, I'd think coming in and buying up a small town shop then firing the staff to rehire new ones...not good for said image. Unless you're super high up the management chain, I'd say your job is probably safe. And if something happens and you don't get to keep your job...post that here, Facebook and every other forum you frequent with documentation. Because that's terrible policy and I, for one, would never shop there again (but I'll continue shopping at Walmart...because they're evil and have their hooks in me).

Hate to hear that! Praying all goes well for you!

Thanks everybody for the kind thoughts. I moved one step closer to a job today, I passed my drug test. Now, on to the criminal background check. Gee, Walgreens, since you, like all companies expect your employees to multi-task, it would be nice if YOU could as well. Instead, each item is done one day at a time. Oh well, it is what it is. I know I have my CC friends here to support me. Hey, CC, are you hiring? ;);)

Thanks Maureen for your solo Allure and your solo Grandeur reviews! I really enjoy your entertaining writing style. I wish that there could be a combination writing/perscription drug job out there for you:eek:! Maybe writing for a movie screenplay like 'The Wolf of Wallstreet' might be up your alley?

Hope you have success in your job hunt and you get to go on your next cruise (so that we can all go along for the ride):p

Have a wonderful New Year!

Thanks Maureen for your solo Allure and your solo Grandeur reviews! I really enjoy your entertaining writing style. I wish that there could be a combination writing/perscription drug job out there for you:eek:! Maybe writing for a movie screenplay like 'The Wolf of Wallstreet' might be up your alley?

Hope you have success in your job hunt and you get to go on your next cruise (so that we can all go along for the ride):p

Have a wonderful New Year!

HAHA!! Yeah, 2014 has been freakin' awesome! :D Does the fun ever start? :D I like the idea of a drug/ writing cruise. Maybe I can be like Hunter S thompson and take a lot of drugs and then write about my adventures! I moved one step closer today, I passed the criminal check.....Thanks for the kind thoughts, everything will work out. I am hell bent on getting to Alaska! :D:D

I hope the job works out and you get to go on the cruise as planned. You never know what is around the corner. I am looking forward to your Alaska review. I am over the same pics and will be very interested to see it from your perspective.

I know what you mean about the cruise getting in the way of going to the Diamond lounge. We keep saying we are going to the Windjammer for dinner, which we enjoy for breaky and lunch, but there is just more things to do than there is time for! Or we are so full we could not fit any more.

We will stay tuned for the next chapter of what will happen to Maureen's job! How could they not put you on. The place would be dull without you!

Edited by kjsmith63

Frenchie, this is where I need your help.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8757%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B38%3C7635257ot1lsi

House of friends of......something? Fendant? Is it wine? House of friends of wine? House of friends with wine? Frenchie, just so you know, in America, defendant means something completely different and it is something you do NOT want to be. :D

:D

Fendant is a type of grape.

It's known to be used for a specific swiss wine too.

So: "Palace of friends of grape." or "Castle of friends of swiss wine."

It's a proper noun, so there is not a right translation. :p

:D

Fendant is a type of grape.

It's known to be used for a specific swiss wine too.

So: "Palace of friends of grape." or "Castle of friends of swiss wine."

It's a proper noun, so there is not a right translation. :p

Thanks! I'm going to take it to mean wine lovers' house! How is it being back in Paris? Any more cruises on the horizon? :)

Thanks! I'm going to take it to mean wine lovers' house! How is it being back in Paris? Any more cruises on the horizon? :)

And only for experts !

So... Sad ! Maybe you hear a few things about our f*****g 'president'.

There is a lot of people in the streets who wants his resignation. A lot of events. It's complicated currently.

I would love to do the Quantum or the Allure... Going in Moorea too...

..and in ALASKA too !! :eek: I'm jealous ! :p

Maybe i will see to do a cruise in the north of Europe, to see the aurora borealis.

I don't think i will be able to do one before the end of the year. But, nobody knows. :)

I will follow your future reviews... ! I'm hasty (Good word? lol) to see your review in this incredible Alaska's wildlife...

Edited by frenchrci

• 9 months later...

I stumbled upon your review of the Carnival Sunshine. I liked it so much I went back and read the rest of them and subscribed to your latest.

Your reviews ROCK!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to compose and put them together! :)

• 8 months later...

I am planning on joining some friends in late Nov. for my first Royal cruise, Looks like a fun and different kind of ship and set up, But I like changes... Loved your reivew your a fantastic writer and kept me involved for I think a good hour of reading... from start to finish.... (ship kind of reminds me of celebrity Summit, which I enjoyed, I'll have to go and read your other reviews!

• 11 months later...

Thank you for responding about solo cruising.

Q1. Do you have dinner at a large table with other singles?

Q2, Did the the sip have a social event for singles?

Q3. Did you have a chance to meet other singles any other times during the cruise?

• 10 months later...

Maureen this was wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing :) I'm going on my first cruise ever on the Grandeur in Sept and it's so fun to go through these old posts and imagine what it will be like! What is your very favorite cruise?? You've obviously done a lot :D

Lisa

• 5 months later...

Hi Maureen-I know this review is quite old, but we're sailing on the Grandeur in January so I was really pleased to find it. Thanks for doing it! Is there any way to find the pictures from this review? I'm doubly interested since I went to Randolph Macon Woman's College Class of '89 (now Randolph!), met my husband at Trotters (closed, I think) and he went to Lynchburg College '85, and taught at VES. SO we were on the trains back and forth from Lynchburg to DC quite a bit. I'd love to see any photos you have from the station! And of course any of the ship Grandeur too!

Best regards,