Hopefully "Live" Ryndam So. Carib. 8 Dec - 22 Dec

Mtn2Sea

After four straight port days, we’re now at sea. Here’s today’s activities.

TodayMon2120131216_08453912R_zps9ccace6d.jpg

TodayMon2220131216_08471377R_zpsd07a11bf.jpg

Here’s the part of the daily program that shows the music venues around the ship as well as the hours for the various dining venues, which can change daily.

TodayMusic20131216_09064801R_zps62a3144b.jpg

Tonight’s menu.

MenuMon2120131216_09164797R_zps7c972165.jpg

MenuMon2220131216_09175652R_zpse2e25bef.jpg

After a delightful breakfast in the MDR with two other couples, DW and I split up. She went to the Dancing with the Stars contest. Today, Patti from West Virginia won the contest, which involved the Samba. When we rode the van from our Tampa hotel to the port, Patti and her mother, along with the mother’s sister and brother-in-law, were with us. I went to the galley tour. Approximately 75 people went on the tour, but the staff divided us up into smaller groups. We did not, however, have a guide. An informational sheet was provided a few minutes before the tour began and we then simply walked through the galley. We got a few treats along the way!

KitchenTour120131216_08522950R_zps0e7bd954.jpg

KitchenTour220131216_08532427R_zps1de2127a.jpg

DSC_0162R_zps68f94ebb.jpg

DSC_0168_zps0283078b.jpg

DSC_0169R_zps5a85bad4.jpg

DSC_0172R_zps0e0099c5.jpg

For lunch, we returned to the MDR and got a table for two. I had spinach linguini with a chicken ragout. DW got the pan fried cod. We both thought our meals were very good.

DSC_0181R_zps18e25e35.jpg

DSC_0182R_zps9fffa8fd.jpg

I had a Napoleon with lemon mousse.

DSC_0184R_zpsd9cf8c96.jpg

Based on a comment written by woodworker&knitter, we went to the Hemmingway tribute that was presented by Rick, our cruise director. Since we were so many days past Key West, we assumed Rick had already done the tribute, but were pleasantly surprised when we saw it on today’s program. Rick did an outstanding job chronicling Hemmingway’s life, starting with his birth in Illinois in 1899 to his suicide at age 61. Turns out Hemmingway’s novel The Old Man and the Sea, which led to a Pulitzer in 1952, was a major influence on Rick’s life.

Since we had a glass of wine around 5:00 with a little snacking on the side and because we had to spend a little extra time getting ready for formal night, we got to the MDR a little later than usual. For an appetizer, I had the Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart, which was quite good. DW is sticking with her gluten free diet and had fruit.

DSC_0190R_zps386663b3.jpg

DSC_0196R_zps3d775f5e.jpg

I had the Land and Sea, but since I’m not a steak guy, I told the waiter I wanted a double sea and no land. DW had the traditional Land and Sea. I again had a soufflé – chocolate chip with a vanilla sauce.

DSC_0197R_zpsc93914a0.jpg

DSC_0198R_zps0a086068.jpg

We did not go to the show in the theatre tonight, but instead listened to Adiago and then Jamm at the piano bar. Tonight was Name That Tune. The winning team scored 11 out of 15. I won’t embarrass myself by telling our score.

Rick really did a great presentation on Hemingway. We told him he really had to get to Cuba someday. :D

Do you have any pictures of any of the ship's Christmas décor? I would love to know how the sleigh is coming along in the atrium. When we got off, they only had the frame up and the plywood parts of the gingerbread houses with interior lighting in place.

Great pictures! Reminders of dinners and desserts... and breakfasts... Yummy looking.

Do you have any pictures of any of the ship's Christmas décor?

I've taken numerous ship pictures, but I may wait until I have a " normal" internet connection; it depends on how many minutes I have left nearer the end of the cruise.

Seems strange to see an escalator on a ship.

All the S-class ships started life with a public escalator from Main Deck to Lower Promenade in the forward Atrium area. Sometimes they came in very handy.

Will look forward to a tour of the kitchens. Do HAL charge a fee for the galley tour?

There's no charge for the basic galley tour, but it is also pretty much a walk-through tour. There shouldn't be a charge for what it is.

All the S-class ships started life with a public escalator from Main Deck to Lower Promenade in the forward Atrium area. Sometimes they came in very handy.

There's no charge for the basic galley tour, but it is also pretty much a walk-through tour. There shouldn't be a charge for what it is.

Thanks Ruth :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Forums mobile app

Arriving at the Mega Pier in Willemstad, Curacao at 7:30 AM.

DSC_0200R_zps96904f9e.jpg

Today’s program of events.

TodayTues21R20131217_07440655_zps03b1a337.jpg

TodayTues22R20131217_07453822_zps8d6fb660.jpg

Tonight’s menu.

MenuTues21R20131217_07480031_zpsf31db4b6.jpg

MenuTues22R20131217_07485858_zps7049c63e.jpg

We booked one excursion for Curacao, which didn’t leave until 4:00 PM. We left the ship after eating a late breakfast in the Lido and began walking towards town. We were just about to the port gate when we were approached about a two hour tour at $20/person. We decided to try it and were the last passengers to board the bus waiting in the port’s parking lot. We spent most of the time riding around town. We had two stops. The first stop was at the Chobolobo Liqueur Factory where they make Curacao liqueur. We bought a 350 ml bottle of chocolate liqueur at $26. I learned you need to ask the price because the labels, which have a dollar sign and show two different prices, do not show the price in US dollars. At first I thought I was charged too much, but later at the gift shop, which was our second stop, the same bottle was $30 US. Regardless, it’ll be good over vanilla ice cream when we got back home. Yes, they found the small bottle when we returned to the ship and are holding it until the last day. The gift shop at our next stop did have a balcony with a scenic view.

photo_zps75f13d61.jpg?t=1387334964

During the ride, the guide pointed out various churches, cemeteries and differing housing areas. Remembering our expensive lunch in Antigua, we went back to the ship for a quick lunch in the Lido. DW decided to stay aboard while I took my camera to get a few shots of the waterfront.

DSC_0209R_zpsa0e0c99a.jpg

When we first went by the floating swing bridge, people were using it to cross over to the other side. When I got to the bridge, it had been swung to one side to let ships pass through, so I took the ferry across.

DSC_0218R_zps5a329c54.jpg

After walking around a bit, I caught the ferry back.

DSC_0224R_zpse8786ba4.jpg

DSC_0225R_zps1a0746a5.jpg

DSC_0228R_zps9c73f06b.jpg

DSC_0231R_zpsbbc1ce3b.jpg

I stopped at the ice cream shop and bought one scoop of ice cream so I could use the free wifi. The clerk would not give me the password, but entered it herself on my iPad. After checking email and checking a few sites, I returned to the ship.

We met on the pier shortly before 4:00 for our sunset sailing trip. The catamaran was 54 feet long with two 380 hp engines. We motored most of the way. The crew unfurled the headsail shortly before the sun glided under the horizon and then turned off the engines. We sat up front on the webbing and had an enjoyable trip. Here are some pics.

PC170384R_zps26691f45.jpg

We had to watch out for some kids learning to sail.

PC170391R_zpsc2e8b220.jpg

A sister ship to ours, signaling a message.

PC170392R_zps384d08c2.jpg

Ricky, on of the crew members.

PC170406R_zpse8468e52.jpg

PC170409R_zpsd905eb54.jpg

PC170422R_zps320de660.jpg

When we boarded the bus for our return to the ship, our guide counted 22 passengers. When we originally left the ship, she had counted 23. She began searching for the missing passenger, enlisting the sailboat’s crew. The 23rd passenger was never found! We’ve had a bus leave a little late after a stop because someone was slow getting back, but we’ve never seen a passenger disappear. We finally left for our return trip to the ship. The guide asked us to put our names on a sheet of paper so a comparison could be made with the names on the tickets, which were back on the ship. I distinctly remember the guide counting passengers prior to the bus initially leaving the ship and saying 23. Both DW and I remember a single woman sitting in the row behind us, who was not there when we returned. Hopefully, she had a change of mind and found a taxi to get back, but failed to tell anyone.

The ship left on time without any messages for a missing passenger, so I assume everything is okay.

Loving your review looks like you're having a wonderful time. Seems strange to see an escalator on a ship. Will look forward to a tour of the kitchens. Do HAL charge a fee for the galley tour?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Forums mobile app

What's even more amazing is the Rotterdam (V) of 1959 had escalators that ran from the galley on C-Deck to the two dining rooms above on B-Deck! That ship was of an advanced design in so many ways.

Mtn2Sea, really enjoying your review. Your photos are stunning. This particular itinerary has had my eye for the last two years!

Did the mystery woman return? Any mention on board of somebody missing? How interesting it is.

I just love your photos and the thoroughness of your reports, so really appreciate the time and care you are taking to share your lovely trip with us.

We arrived to dock in Aruba a little before 7 AM. After yesterday’s long day, I was a little late getting a photo of our arrival. By the time I took a picture, they were securing our dock lines. A small ship, Fairwinds, was berthed next to us. After we arrived, the Thomson Dream came in, followed by Royal Caribbean’s Vision of the Seas.

DSC_0235R_zps0126ff28.jpg

Today’s program.

TodayWed21R20131218_12200781_zpsbf02d2c7.jpg

TodayWed22R20131218_12242566_zpsa1990ebb.jpg

Tonight's menu.

MenuWed21R20131218_12274500_zpsdbad428f.jpg

MenuWed22R20131218_12290521_zps712378d4.jpg

After getting a quick, but tasty, breakfast in the Lido, we got off the ship and started walking towards town. We had not purchased a shore excursion for this port. We were soon approached by someone offering us an island tour in a nice Honda van. When he said $100, I indicated that was too much. He explained the $100 was for the van, but it would only be $25/person if he got another couple. We waited no more than 5 minutes while he snared another couple. They were from Tennessee and the man grew up “on the other side of the mountain” from our NC house in eastern Tennessee. The tour lasted about 90 minutes, but would have lasted longer if Willie, our guide, had driven like our guide in Antigua. I’m not sure Willie knows what a stop sign means and, if he’s got an inch to spare, he’ll get the van through any opening. Our first stop was a rock formation that has been turned into an observation deck of the island.

DSC_0244R_zps44388a16.jpg

DSC_0242R_zpsed5aa81e.jpg

DSC_0248R_edited-1_zps079d48b1.jpg

The landscape of the island varies widely. We saw cactus as well as lush yards. A lot of irrigation is used on Aruba to provide green grass.

DSC_0250R_zps03d3a3e2.jpg

Our next stop was at a Catholic Church.

DSC_0255R_zpscbda2af4.jpg

Willie wanted to explain how people are buried both above and below ground. For those above ground, the tomb must be maintained, or they’ll yank you out and bury you in the ground. I saw a couple of newly available above ground openings. We saw colorful houses as well as colorful tombs.

DSC_0254R_zpsb222c032.jpg

DSC_0252R_zpse036bdf6.jpg

We drove by some pricey homes on the way to a beach used by snorkelers.

DSC_0259R_zpsf7d81202.jpg

DSC_0261R_zpsa7ef2ee6.jpg

When we left the beach, we drove through the Palm Beach area of Aruba. It looks a lot like some areas in south Florida. Willie got us back to the entrance of the street, where the shopping area begins. We went to Diamonds International, but just missed being able to enter the raffle. The winner, who was right next to me, was announced shortly after we entered the store. We then went across the street (there are painted crosswalks if you look for them) to a local market where we purchased a gift for a friend back home. We then headed back to the ship for lunch in the Lido (the MDR was closed) and a nap!

DSC_0265R_zps772c431d.jpg

Did the mystery woman return? Any mention on board of somebody missing? How interesting it is.

As we reboarded in Aruba, DW asked the security guy about the missing passenger from the sailing excursion and, sure enough, she caught a taxi back to the ship without telling our tour guide.

Thankfully, the dress code tonight was casual. Aruba is hot and we were slow moving. For my entrée, I had the lamb loin with artichokes. I substituted a baked potato for the lentils and roasted red peppers. I thought the lamb was quite good. DW had the guava/spinach stuffed chicken breast. She found the stuffing different, but good. I had the “Dam” Devil Chocolate Cake for dessert.

Thankfully, the dress code tonight was casual. Aruba is hot and we were slow moving. For my entrée, I had the lamb loin with artichokes. I substituted a baked potato for the lentils and roasted red peppers. I thought the lamb was quite good. DW had the guava/spinach stuffed chicken breast. She found the stuffing different, but good. I had the “Dam” Devil Chocolate Cake for dessert.

DSC_0275R_zpsd378e58b.jpg

DSC_0274R_zpsa180db24.jpg

DSC_0276R_zps2acae8ef.jpg

A couple, who came and sat at the table next to us, had been to the early show, which was Rock Legends, performed by the Ryndam cast. They were complimentary of the singing and dancing by the performers, but said it was very, very loud, which led them to leave the show early. We decided to forego the show and call it an early night.

The drink of the day was a Long Island Iced Tea.

Edited by Mtn2Sea