Rough Seas Sailing Out of Miami

hello there! this post is intended for a video that I have pasted the link to below. I'm sorry, I don't seem to be able to embed the video into the forum post.

http://youtu.be/ZuTInSfdFwQ

The link will take you to a YouTube watch page where the video can be viewed. This should open in another window.

Please feel free to share your comments about this video, as well as your own rough seas stories. I love to read them!

We where on the Emerald one November , the seas where so rough that the security guards look green and sickly . That was the only cruise where myself and the DW felt a little queasy ourselfs.

We have done 9 cruises during November over the years, and sometimes the water is choppier than others....we, ourselves, have never gotten sick....although the choppy water was noticeable enough. Sometimes ports of call had to be skipped because tenders could not be pulled up to the ship to disembark at the location. It comes with the type of vacation chosen -- it could just as easily happen in July -- if cruising from S. Florida.

Those look a bit rougher than usual but crossing parallel to the Gulf Stream generally causes more motion. They look to be around 4-6 feet high?

Been in 16 footers going down to St Thomas on the outer side of the islands. Drawers would open, barf bags hug on the railings in the stairwells, stacks of crackers and green apples around. I thought it was fun myself.

We had nasty weather on our Independence of the Seas transatlantic last year we had an exceptionally rough start. A severe storm moving through England led to a delayed departure as many roads and rail lines were out of services causing delays in both passengers and supplies reaching the ship. When we eventually got ready to leave the storm had intensified to where the ship could not get off the pier. It took the captain several failed attempts and his whole team (including captain and staff captain) took a trip down to the walkway around the MDR to judge the situation in person. Eventually they turned the azipods on full power and blasted our way off the pier and then sped full speed away. It was an amazing sight. The pitch black walk back around the MDR in those winds on the other hand was the most terrifying thing I've experienced at sea. When I got to my cabin we still hadn't made it to the english channel but the winds were shown as 124 kmh.

DSC00998.JPG

DSC01006.JPG

Here is a video of the day and departure:

The next day was a little calmer, but on the second night we hit severe weather in the bay of biscay. The storm that was chasing us in England merged with two others right on our spot to produce sustained 50 foot waves with some exceeding 60 feet along with 100+ mph winds. Unfortunately it was too dark to get any pictures or video. By morning things had calmed down significantly to waves of just 25 feet. The ship was still howling though as she was twisting in the waves. It's amazing how much noise those large elevator shafts can make as they twist and pop into and out of place. Our ride felt amazingly smooth though as we watched tankers dipping with their nose and stern completely under water. The afternoon was nicer though as we turned with the wind creating an eerie calm as the waves were still a bit rough and you could stand on the MDR walk way and see waves splashing up to deck 5 at the bow but barely any wind.

DSC01160.JPG

DSC01229.JPG

DSC01340.JPG

Here is a video of that morning while the outside decks were closed:

And the afternoon when they were opened:

The one thing I learned from that cruise is that waves and motion are not related. It was amazing how the port side could look calm and sunny while starboard was windy and rough. Even more some times the seas looked huge and the ship didn't feel that rocky while other times the seas looked like they had calmed but the ship was still rising and falling. Check this rise and fall the evening of those rough seas, looks much smoother but still rising and falling:

DSC01397.JPG

DSC01398.JPG

My first Cruise was on a little 18,000 ton ship it was like the boats on the tv show Deadliest Catch. 30 foot waves. Second storm bigger ship not as bad. Last year I was on Explorer got off the day Sandy hit NJ. water was calm for us. But not so nice for people who got on ship.

We had 32' waves in an early May storm heading back from Alaska a few years back. (They stopped updating the weather and conditions info, but I asked an officer the next day.) We were about 4 cabins back from the bow, on the 9th deck, and every 4th wave *broke* across our balcony (granted, a combination of the front of the ship going down and the height of the wave coming in.) No sleep for us that night, but never got sick. Just worried. :eek:

Officers were walking around with calm looks on their faces to (IMO) spread confidence among the less-sea-seasoned.

^ this video's good at capturing the rough seas! I like this one

Yeah, that's my favorite feature of the Freedom class. The Voyager has a small hump, but their is nothing like being that far out over the side of the ship that low in rough seas.

• 2 months later...

The worst I've experienced was on Freedom of the Seas as we sailed back to Port Canaveral through Hurricane Sandy in the Bahamas.

All outside decks were closed off for the last day and a half of the cruise.

The sustained relative wind speed across the bow of the ship was above 70 MPH for 36 hours straight (the highest I saw it was 96 MPH).

Seas got up to around 30 feet.

We sat up in the Viking Crown Lounge and watched the sea spray hitting the windows.

One night we were rocking so bad I was very concerned about my kids being thrown out of their bunk beds. We surrounded them with extra pillows to try to keep that from happening.

The noise of the huge waves slapping the hull sounded like thunder while trying to watch the show in the main theater.

We were on Carnival Dream during Hurricane Sandy. Our cruise was extended an extra day and we spent that time sailing in a big circle off the coast of Miami. We were supposed to return to Port Canaveral on Saturday, but didn't until Sunday. On Thursday morning, the bolted our deck 2, cove balcony doors shut.

We didn't get sick, but a lot of people must have been because the dining room was practically empty for the last few days. Barf bags near the elevators and stairwells. We never got sick, and even showed up at the steak house one evening without a reservation and they were happy to seat us. It was empty.

Walking was a challenge; not just side to side rocking, but that rolling motion where the floor would literally drop from beneath your feet. And the ship creaked horribly. That was a little scary.

It was definitely an experience!

That said, our weather in ports was beautiful, and we wouldn't hesitate to sail again during this time of year. What are the odds it might happen again?! :eek::D